Liz O'Riordan - breast surgeon with BC Recommended to Read

13»

Comments

• Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    I found this book to be excellent.
    if you don’t want to or can’t afford to buy it, I found it in my local library.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited August 2021
    Bumping this one - if you haven't read Liz's Blog on her own Breast Cancer - you should! .... 

And here is a Zoom Chat with Liz O'Riordan and Kelly Shanahan and Fazila Seker, about Covid and Living with Breast Cancer ..... I haven't watched it all, but it should be good!

https://www.facebook.com/FazilaSekerMOLLI/videos/199795578121528
  • traveltext
    traveltext Member Posts: 253
    Thanks @arpie I know all three of these people and they are worth listening to. Fazila interviewed me last year. 
  • Sue_w
    Sue_w Member Posts: 123
    edited August 2021
    I watched 2 podcasts by Liz last night. I realised that what I needed, the approach I needed, from the doctors, nurses and other health professionals differed at each stage and will probably continue to be so as my treatment continues. At times I need blunt honesty (when asking questions), at times a gentle and empathetic approach (when in pain or fearful) and at times I use dark humour to shield me from the worst of things (usually when facing a new bump along this rough road we travel).
    I think what we need as patients is for the medical team to take our lead as each appointment and each patient will be different. 
    That said, I have immense respect for each and every of the medical team I have had the fortune to be involved with, not only do they provide treatment but they rely on us to tell them what we need of them, even as we don't really know ourselves. 
  • arpie
    As Liz realised herself .... she thought she ‘knew’ how her patients were feeling, but it was only after she was diagnosed herself and had the surgery and all the side effects, the glances, the fears ... that she realised she knew nothing at all, really!

We need to advocate for ourselves and SPEAK UP when we think we are unhappy with the standard of care ... and the forum here is a good place to bounce off ideas and what concerns you about ‘accepted procedures’ ....
  • Sue_w
    Sue_w Member Posts: 123
    Yep @arpie that is something I am fast learning, I am calling my doctor today to clarify discrepancies between biopsy results and the surgeons report...
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    If you have access to books and magazines on line through your local,library through LIBBY portal Liz’s book is available to borrow by download to,your iPad/PC 

• colthul
    colthul Member Posts: 20

If you have access to books and magazines on line through your local,library through LIBBY portal Liz’s book is available to borrow by download to,your iPad/PC 

I've tried searching on Libby and can't seem to find it. I must be doing it wrong 
  • arpie
    edited August 2021
    Do you have a link to that Libby site @noosa_blue150?  I found hard copies available to borrow on the Library links (ion Vic) but not an ebook!

take care xx

Just found this on google .... pic below .... to instal on iphone & ipad 

• noosa_blue150
    Arpie - I’d check,in with your library staff (take your iPad with you if,you can ) .we had icon on our library site and then just copied it,over from there . It will,possibly only work if your library is participating 
  • arpie
    Many Thanks @noosa_blue150

Sadly, We're under hard lockdown (supposed to finish on Sunday but I'll believe it when I see it!)

All the libraries are closed :(  

• noosa_blue150
    Well,at least give them a call,and check,that they’re subscribed to Libby ? If they are they may be able to,talk,you through the steps 
  • noosa_blue150
    colthul - in the search 🔍  in  Libby I only put breast cancer in and it showed me any books /magazine available and that’s how I found it . 

• arpie
    edited February 2022
    Bumping this one so any new members may see it .....

This is the very honest story of Liz O'Riordan, a British Breast Surgeon who was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, then had a Recurrence ..... and how stunned she was to realise that she had no idea, really, on the full impact of the BC diagnosis/surgery/treatment on her patients - let alone herself - and how it has affected her own life, both professionally and personally.

She is a respected TEDx speaker & has written a book The Complete Guide to Breast Cancer (see above pics)

The link on the first page is broken ... but if you click on THIS link (and when you've read it, go to the top of the page & click on 'next' on the R/H side to go to the NEXT link ...) you will be able to follow her story as it 'happened' ... The whole blog is well worth a read & you can do it 'in stages' ....

https://liz.oriordan.co.uk/2015/07/21/what-learning-curve/

She also had to stop practising as a Surgeon, as her various surgeries resulted in her losing full arm movement  :( 

Her Facebook Post just before Xmas, re Scanxiety - I think many of us can relate to what she says:
    https://www.facebook.com/107196538390996/videos/587227899024280

Her own struggle with mental illness, following her recovery:
    https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=599760314593874

And her recent podcasts called "Don't Ignore the Elephant' - on various subjects that we may relate to:
    https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/don-t-ignore-the-elephant/id1588554895
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Yes I found this book very helpful.