Financial Information Forum - we want your questions

Options

Comments

• onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    There definately should be clearer guidelines and info and I know that it also depends on who you speak to on the day with human services too. Sometimes you might get a “good one” and sometimes not which adds to the frustration and stress of the situation. Look at what @brenda went through and she’s still not entitled to a DSP even though she has long term side effects from her trestment and she was still dicked around with her med certificate for new start.  And there are so many others in the same boat as her.  Not considered “disabled” (pardon the pun) enough for a DSP so exactly how much impairment do you need to have FFS. She can’t work as a direct result from her trestment so why can’t she get a DSP until she does improve or if she doesnt she can simply stay on it. But noooo that would br just too sensible. We all know for a fact from reading Brenda’s posts that she would love to recover enough to get “back to what the govt callls normal” but unfortunately bc and among other life threatening conditions is the gift that keeps on giving and we are all trying to manage “our new normal” in the best way we can.  It’s all right for the pollies on there huge salaries (for what I might add) and travel allowances which cost tax payers a fortune. I read another post that said the pollies get $372 a night travel allowance! Are you bloody serious! Yet if you live in a remote area for example and need to travel for treatment you get stuff all support. They make so much money tell them to pay for their own bloody travel and claim it on their tax like many other Australians have to and I bet you would cut out all the misuse of it. I know as a nurse If I want to travel for a conference I have to pay for it myself and all the costs UPFRONT and then claim it back om my tax they should do the bloody same. As you can see from my previous posts I’ve written several times to local and federal pollies including the minister for human services and I’m lucky my local federal member is a great listener and has taken my concerns to Canberra and wants to at least try and rally for change but I really hope Marianne shows these posts as they are written by real people with real issues. It seems there’s no support for work8mg hard and paying tax your whole life. Don’t get me wrong I’m not looking for a handout and I got great care right throughout my surgery and treatment through the public health system and we are lucky in that sense in Australia but just get pissed off that govt support is not more accessible for everyone (like I said even a temporary health care card would of been something) and that there are better ways to manage tax payers money. . Margie.  X

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Lady Di
    Lady Di Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had income protection insurance with THE COMMONWEALTH BANK a clause in the policy states you can claim trauma due to cancer.My gp filled out the paperwork. Got a reply more information needed. Sent off my surgery notesetc. More info needed.Third time sent my radiation schedule. Got told i didnt qualify. Needed to hear this after surgery, radiation , no sleep the worst experience of my life. Any one else had trouble with the BIG BANK
  • onemargie
    Options
    Hi there @Lady Di I’m hearing you. My story slightly different but similar and if you click on my name you can read the posts about it under superannuation. But to give you a heads up I thought I had income protection with Hesta but just before I was diagnosed and I was checking through things and saw that I didn’t and thought shit how did that happen! Anyway found out hesta cancelled my income protection without my knowledge as they sent a letter saying I needed to make a contribution or it would be cancelled (I was in between being a stay st home mum and going back to work so this was years ago now) but they sent the letter to an address I’ve never lived at! I know I should of checked my statements more carefully but who honestly does that and I most certainly would of made the contribution required had I known so one thing I recommmend everyone should do is check your insurance cover regularly.

So I reapplied for TPD and income protection after I realised and it was 3 months after I applied and comminsure were the underwriters for hesta and back and forth with paperwork over that period they said it was lost they did it receive it etc even though I had faxed and manually posted all that was needed and they also said more info needed etc and then I got diagnosed with bloody breast cancer and rang them only to be told after 3 months of trying to sort it it hadn’t  gone through and I would have to start all over again and no my bc would not be covered!

When I rang hesta they said it was normal for it to take this long to apply and I complained it was ridiculous but it fell on deaf ears along with the complaint about sending my paperwork to the wrong address and the dicking around with having to re send paperwork Anyway I complained to the superannuation ombudsman and they decided there are grounds to investigate the above so I’m waiting on the outcome still now. But I’m not holding my breath. Once I know I’ll let everyone know. But yes hesta blamed comminsure for the delays and it was a massive pain in the arse with them. Then also before I was diagnosed we switched banks to get a better rate and we took out mortgage insurance.

So then when I unexpectedly got diagnosed a couple months later I thought yay I’ll put in a claim as cancer was included on the cover but no sorry you can’t claim as you have been diagnosed during the three month wait period and cant claim! Perhaps you can talk to the insurance ombudsman about your situation might be worth st least talking to them but I have no hope in hell of winning that one.  Margie. Xx
  • onemargie
    Options
    I totally agree @Joannie you would of had that policy for years and paid the premiums too. It’s bullshit isn’t it. Margie 
  • onemargie
    Options
    And perhaps @Marianne_BCNA you should invite someone from the treasury department and the federal member for human services to attend but I bet neither of them will come. I think who you have coming is impressive but their hands are tied due to the current govt legislations. Margie x
  • onemargie
    Options
    And perhaps @Marianne_BCNA you should invite someone from the treasury department and the federal member for human services to attend but I bet neither of them will come. I think who you have coming is impressive but their hands are tied due to the current govt legislations. And they aren’t gong to give up their perks  that @Jax1964 has mentioned either. As far as I’m concerned they earn enough bloody money and should pay for their own shit like the rest of us have to Margie xx 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

You'll love this. I went to apply for early release of some of my super on financial hardship grounds, only to find that when Cancer Oz paid me sitting fees for some committee work it meant that I was 'employed' as I didn't get a newstart payment that fortnight. So, back to square one and I can't access it until June. FFS.

I'd rather have some of it now while it will be of use to me as there is no way I will live to retirement age. I've got bugger all in there anyway and the interest rate is lower than what I'm paying on my mortgage. What's the bet, just before I can get my trembling hands on a bit of it there will be a financial crisis of some sort and a pack of white collar criminals will run off with the lot. Humph.

• [Deleted User]
    edited March 2018
    Options
  • wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi I have had access to my super since I was 55, however I am retired so that must make a difference if you are working or not, is this the  case  with you@joannie, it seems ridiculous that there are so many rules and regulations,
    wendy55

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Thanks @Marianne_BCNA, that would be great, it would mean so many more of us would be able to be included -
    wendy55