55Jlz is newly diagnosed please offer her the awesome support that you all do.

2»

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Hi @55Jlz Ditto what @romla and @kmakm have said.  It's normal to be nervous and that day of admission is a long one - you might be better with some good magazines rather than a book, though - I found it too hard to focus.  I don't know about you but I'm never good going under - I always get anxious.  I was so nervous by the time I went into theatre that the surgeon held my hand to calm me while the anaesthetist put the drugs in.  Do try to take things one step at a time.  You will see the surgeon, of course, you will have some pre-op scanny things done with markers, you will probably see a breast care nurse each day and get information and goodies (awful Brunnhilde bra).
    This op will determine exactly what's going on.  Once the surgeon goes in, he/she will be able to see the real size of the tumour and take the sentinel nodes.  These will go off for biopsy and the report that comes back will be the one that gives you the full information about the cancer.  In my case, with the sneaky monster, lobular carcinoma, the tumour was twice the size they thought and had gone into 3 nodes (all previous tests indicated that the nodes looked good) so, given the surgeon could not get clear margins and I had to have more nodes taken, I went back for a full mastectomy and axillary dissection.  The progress from there is about recovery for a few weeks, then, if you need it, you will be referred for further treatment, whatever that plan will be.
    So, focus on getting through the surgery - get yourself a comfy short sleeve, full button pyjama top if you can as it's much easier in hospital.  And my personal tip - if you like swimming, do it now because you won't be allowed to for weeks!
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    The whole hurry-up-and-wait nature of treatment is really difficult, particularly the waiting part. I can say that worrying about what is going to happen is the worst part. I've gone through the BC mincer a couple of times and nothing, absolutely nothing, is more harrowing than waiting for a procedure. Once you are in the door on the day, you have done the hardest yards. Good luck. Mxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    At the hospital I was in, the rooms had balcony doors that were permanently locked for OH & S reasons.  I joked to my husband and the surgeon that it was because they didn't want to risk the patients escaping while waiting for procedures!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Understand @Joannie is my way of coping too -nice that hospital staff play along to settle us .Reda on here the compassion of surgeons who held some members hands during anaesthesia. In my experience many working in this field be it medical or non medical have demonstrated kindness and humanity to my vulnerability.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    My surgeon has been exceptionally kind. He held my hand and comforted me the evening of my re-excision when I was desperately upset (it was finally dawning on me how much my life was going to change). And just last week he gave me over an hour of his time at the end of the day so I could ask all my questions about the mastectomy & reconstruction. Free of charge. I have been blown away by his kindness.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @Joannie Always