Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Liver mets - treatment options

Comments

• maggie001
    maggie001 Member Posts: 30
    Hi Jena, what a positive person you are! Reading your metastatic cancer journey really uplifted me.... you are so right - focus on what we can do rather than what we can’t do. Thank you! I may be on the same chemo as you which I think is also called Xeloda, but I will report back after my appointment on Thursday. 
    I hope this chemo works well for you with no side effects. Please let me know how you go
    best wishes to you
    Judy
  • Lynne48
    Lynne48 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 36
    Hi Maggie.  I wa diagnosed with Liver Mets about a month a go and started chemo last Monday with Paclitaxel.  I have treatment every Monday for 3 weeks, then have a week off and the following week see my oncologist for a review. I too had the pain under the ribs and right shoulder plus the nausea.  I don't know if it is just psychological, but my pain has definitely reduced since starting chemo.  I am hopeful, that this means that my liver is less inflamed as the chemo is doing something!  I was also diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes earlier this year and am on Metformin.  I started off on the 1000 slow release tablet, but it was way too much for me and found that taking half a 500ml tablet twice a day (breakfast and dinner) is working well for me.  I also eat very carefully, especially the carbohydrates.  Wishing you well with this next challenge ahead. Lynne 
  • maggie001
    Hi Lynne, thanks for your reply. I see my oncologist on Thursday and am keen to get started on some form of chemo to help with the symptoms.  I will let you know what is decided upon.
    Is the metformin bringing your glucose levels under control? I am taking 1000mg each night but it is not doing anything to regulate the levels so now I am charting my glucose levels 8 times a day for four days to give to my GP who is then going to work out the correct insulin dose which I’m told I will take in addition to the metformin. 
    I hope the pacitaxel works well for you and it knocks the liver Mets back to NED. I may be with you on this treatment journey
    cheers Judy
  • Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    Hi Maggie 
    I have stage four her 2 pos bc. Diagnosed with 12 large inoperable Tumours in my liver last December much to my horror and grief. And to top it off some Mets in my spine. I have never felt sick once or had any pain   However there is treatments that can work and mine certainly has and I do hope yours will too.
  • Sam09
    Sam09 Member Posts: 149
    I have been on herceptin and perjeta since December and now have not one tumour left. All gone and a healthy liver. Treatments work believe in them.
  • maggie001
    Thanks Sam. I am very pleased this treatment worked for you. I am actually HER- although I think I might have said I was HER+.
    however I re-read my initial pathology report and saw I was wrong. 
    Anyway just keen to get onto a treatment that will work on my liver now. Roll on Thursday ! 
    Best wishes to you
  • Lynne48
    Hi Judy. Yes, the Metformin seems to be working for me.  My glucose levels have been kept very stable.  Stress and fatigue can also affect your blood glucose levels, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is a factor.  Let me know what plan your oncologist recommends.  That would be great if you end up on the same treatment plan and then we can follow each other's progress. Take care, Lynne
  • SarahB
    SarahB Member Posts: 1
    Hi Lynne
    I was diagnosed with met breast cancer in Oct 2016, 3 years after my first breast cancer.
    i have mets in cervical and
    thoracic spine and liver. I’ve been having chemo since Nov 2016. Nab-pacitaxel and gemcitabine. I have treatment on a 3 weekly cycle treatment day 1, day 8 and day 15 is a break. 
    My scan results since commencing chemo  have been great. Significant reduction in liver lesions to the point where it is almost not visible. And good results with the bone Mets too.
    like everyone else has
    mentiined go to your oncologist armed with all the questions you can think of.
    Best of luck for your journey ahead.

• maggie001
    I saw the Oncologist today - or rather her registrar, but my oncologist came in at the end.  I now have to have a brain MRI ( to check whether there is any correlation to some of the diabetes symptoms) and  bone scan ( to see if the shoulder blade/lower back pain is increasing bone Mets) before a final nail decision is made regarding chemo. I have an appointment for these on 15 Nov.

She wants to discuss the last CT scan with the radiologist to see if he can do a biopsy on a lesion for Foundation One testing ( which she said she had just been advised of a streamlined way of requesting this, which would be better than the 50 emails it took last time she requested this testing) . She also said it might not tell her much more, but anyway I’m still keen for this. 

As far as chemo goes she is thinking Xeloda ....2 weeks on, one week off.  So for now I’m keeping on with Exemestane and Xgeva and once again waiting for appointments.  She is going to discuss my case with the multi disciplinary team at their next meeting ....which is in 2 weeks.  I go back to the oncologist on 21 Nov to get the scan/MRI results and find out what chemo to take.  So I will put up with the crappy way I feel physically and emotionally until then. 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Certainly sounds like they are carefully planning your best treatment. Here's hoping you start feeling better soon. 
  • maggie001
    Thanks PrimeK
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Fingers crossed for best results for your scans. Xx 
  • maggie001
    Thanks Socoda
  • jena
    jena Member Posts: 81
    @maggie001
    Hi Judy.  How did you appointment go on Thursday?  What treatment will you be on? How are you feeling?
    I’ve now beeen taking Capecitabine for 5 days. The drug seems to be creaping up on me.  The first few days were fine but I’m now feeling pretty tired   Otherwise I’m ok. I’ve been told it will take my body a number of days to get used to the Capecitabine, then it should get easier. 
    I’ve been pretty active all week as we have a friend staying, so I can’t complain. I had fun out on the river this morning in the tinny, so I’m really doing rather fine. 
  • Lynne48
    Hi Judy.  How frustrated you must be feeling!  I think one of the hardest things is the waiting...waiting for test results, waiting for your next appointment, waiting to start treatment.  Hope your MRI comes back all clear.  Keep us updated.  Take care, Lynne x