Help, Mother-in-Law going overboard!

Rachey73
Rachey73 Member Posts: 54

Hi Ladies,

Just hoping some of you can give me some tips on how you have coped with family (in my case the Mother-in-Law) giving you all different concoctions to take to build up the imune systems etc etc.

I know she is only trying to help, but since being diagnosed last month she has bombarded me with info on the following:

Beetroot Juice / red beet crystals / mashed asparagus / green barley powder / colloidal silver / ginger punch / green olive leaf extract  and the list goes on.......

She always starts off, "if it was me with cancer, I'd be taking ........."  It has come to the point where I am fed up and want to say, "No it's not F^&%*^ YOU that has Cancer, it is me, I have to deal with this each and every day"   But, I just politely thank her for the info and I will take it on board.  She has had so many friends and relatives with cancer, it seems she has done so much research.  If she ever did get cancer, she could heal herself in 10days, I reckon.   hahahaaaa

Am I being ungratful??  I figure if I took up all these potions, I wouldn't have to eat anything every again. :o)

Anyway, there is my gripe for the day. 

Cheers!

Rachx

Tagged:

Comments

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015

LOL that's funny Rach, it's my mother that i have to watch. She has been getting Lemons off all her friends and bringing me bags full. She also brought me asparagus and green tea too. I am suppose to have sliced Lemons all day to clean the cells. I know lemons have some benefits to the body but hey if they could cure cancer i think the world would know already. Bless her though she really does mean well. She also sends me emails of different sites with information about cancer on. My My  what do you do.   I just go along with what Mum has to say and do as she really feels she is helping me and i would hate to hurt her feelings.

Cheers Jo xx

Cheers Jo

• Renata
    Renata Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2015

I had an uncle bombard me instead of a mother in law. He sent me a list of foods I should be eating and natural products I should be taking or using and some articles he found. I thanked him for the info and said I would take it on board and will look into some natural remedies once I finished my treatment. Like Jo agreed with my uncle as not to hurt his feelings. Luckily though he lives too far away to bring me things or to make sure I am following what he says.

Renata xox

• CarmelS
    CarmelS Member Posts: 268
    edited March 2015

I  really feel for you all ......but isn't it hilarious what goes through peoples minds !!!  While my MIL is very overbearing & opinionated at least after 20 +  years with her son she has come to realise that it is now prudent to take a step back; which has really surprised me. I feel that possibly my beautiful Sis-in-law has had a few well chosen words in her ear because she is normally very forceful.  I think sometimes she forgets that I'm not one of her children & although my own parents are long gone, that they did a pretty good job of raising me & all my siblings.

But they love us & they feel helpless at this time when there really is not a lot they can do to make us "better"...... so this is how they think they are helping. Take their gifts & do with them what you will ........just like you would those lovely christmas gifts from old blind aunt Mavis that go straight to the charity bins  !!!!!!  & haven't we all done that.

Carmel

• Rachey73
    Rachey73 Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2015

It must be so hard for everyone around me, to not be able to fix me.  My Hubby is one of the worst as he is the Mr Fix-it King. :o)   But he is doing a great job in keeping my spirits up, even with the bombardment of bad news.

I guess the old MIL loves us and this is her way of letting me know she is there for me.  I won't hurt her feelings, and let her know what I am really thinking some days hahahaaaaa  My own Mum is dealing with depression for the past 5yrs and hasn't really been there for me during this time, so I guess MIL has taken over this roll. 

Going back to all these remedies, is it a waste of time to be taking stuff now?  Chemo is going to kill everything off isn't it, so new cells can grow? 

Hope your day is a good one.

Rachx

• Maria333
    Maria333 Member Posts: 191
    edited March 2015

Looks like your mum in law has done some amazing research I have heard of all those natural remedies.

Best to check with your oncologist as some of them can cause reactions to your chemo. Maybe tell mum in law you can take them post chemo and thanks for the research.

I have been juicing beetroot, carrot, and celery and teaspoon of organic super greens ( barley grass, chlorella + spirulina).

My iron levels plummetted toward the last few chemos - so extra iron was necessary - eating red meat and other helpful vegies wasnt enough. Maybe have a look at your bloods and add what you think is necessary. You will know.

Or give mum in law a job to do so she feels like she is (fixing) helping.

All the very best.

Maria333