Horse Riders/enthusiasts going through BC

Options
13»

Comments

• PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    @Twiggyjumps is your bulging disc a direct result of chemotherapy or were there other issues involved if you don't mind me asking. I have serious joint issues and finished chemo last November. I'm still not able to ride due to radiation burns but It can't be far off. I'm wondering how my back will hold up. I wasn't going to use a saddle to start with... (better contact) and take it very easy. Wow 40 minutes per horse! You're a legend.
  • PatsyN
    Options
    @kezmusc I have a friend out Tamworth way who has Red Sky Quarter Horses. He's almost like family and I know he's not in it for the money otherwise he would have stopped years ago. I wanted to start an Airbnb Riding Experience but I definitely can't blame breast cancer for not going thru with that idea. It was the heart attack I had 3 years ago that made me slow down a bit (or made me realise that women in their 60's don't just go run off and start their own ranch, lol).
  • Twiggyjumps
    Twiggyjumps Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Yep sure is. I had a small flair prior to Bc in 2016 but managed it. But it’s taken hold and check it out! L5 and small one at L4.  Chemo did burn my muscles in my legs 3 weeks after last treatment ended. Then the disc bulged. My muscles feel like lactic acid is building overnight so I’ve been taking magnesium before bed (helps with my leg cramps also) and glucosamine and chondroitin. Helping a bit. Interesting though saw something on YouTube about potassium and the lack of. My Dr’s don’t seem phased about vitamins & minerals when I want to go into detail with them - they seem to busy when I mention it. And the GP’s quick to hand out literally any opiates or other pain killers for my chronic pain. I hate taking anything as it is! Only the Chiro and natural therapists suggest ideas.  So I’m guessing most of the time. 
  • PatsyN
    Options
    @Twiggyjumps Now that I've finished radiation I'll be taking a range of supplements starting with IV infusions of the vitamins and minerals that I need. I hate swallowing tablets. The steroids that go with chemo are catabolic not anabolic so they do the reverse. They melt your muscle and convert it into fat. I suffered horrible burning in my muscles too, particularly my upper thighs. A magnesium bath before bed would paralyse me for sleep. That's another reason I want to ride bareback. I think non-weightbaring is the way for me to start.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Twiggyjumps Can I ask what kind of chemo you had? Three weeks after my last infusion my quadriceps started feeling exactly as you describe, like they've built up lactic acid. It happens anytime they've been still for a while, so especially in the morning. I also get that response from doctors about supplements... I'm going to conduct my own personal experiments on myself!
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @patsyn I've heard of magnesium supplements but what is a magnesium bath?
  • PatsyN
    Options
    @kezmusc I am green with envy. This is how I picture riding. The Anzac Day rides must be very poignant.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @Twiggyjumps You might like this thread. :)