Lumpectomy this Friday, what to take to hospital?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Wonderful news @viking1, hope you continue to recover well. Jane xx
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hey @viking1, fantastic news that you're finished with your surgery. Relax and take it easy. Big gentle hug. Xx  Cath
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't know whether to put my soft bra on in bed/resting today so did anyway as the breast nurse will only be avail tomorrow. Also forgot when to start exercises in arm and nurse didn't know. I also should have asked for some plastic to cover the bandages to shower. Dried best I could. My only observation would be that it would have been nice to see a breast nurse post surgery just as a check in.,I know they are short staffed tho. I did see the surgeon when I woke up. Was surprised no one in recovery checked my incisions once to see I wasn't bleeding. I did that myself in mirror in loo. They did my obs regularly all night, had a nice night nurse. Morning time did obs once and left to own devices till kick out time. I'm not a demanding patient, didn't ring my buzzer and got my own water. Just would have liked a check in with a friendly face as traumatic for me. On the whole was good.  Guessed they're stretched.

• nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Hi @viking1 great you're home. In response to some of your questions:
    - start the gentle stretching exercises straight away (have you got the BCNA DVD yet?)
    - if you've got dressings over the incision and are permitted to shower over them, I have always found using the hair dryer to help dry them out works well
    - take it slowly, one step at a time

Nikki
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,507
    Options
    Hi @viking1 so happy to hear it all went very well. With my lumpectomies, it was just the general Nursing staff that would check on me. It was actually the day I was going home the Breast Care Nurse came to see me,but only the once and gave me a post op bra. As opposed to my single mastectomy/diep flap recon the first 24hrs is a nightmare with checking the pulse of the flap every hour, so the monitoring is alot more closely. 

Definitely start the exercises as Nikki said slowly and gently, you'll get there. :) Melinda 
  • viking1
    Options
    Thank you! No, I haven't got the DVD, will ask! Will keep up the exercises ... I started a few yesterday as didn't hurt. Glad to have you to ask! Many thanks!☺  Hope you are both going along okay xx
  • nikkid
    Options
    If you don't have the DVD - check with your breastcare nurse of BCNA will send it out to you - I'll tag @Cosette_BCNA to this feed so she can see it for you xxxx
  • viking1
    Options
    Thank you! Geez I am overwhelmed by you all xxx This online group is really a life saver ... not just saying that! Just to be able to check in is great. Although I'm upstairs from dad and sis and niece (who all have own dramas!) I have to go down to check in lol so this is easier! If wolves come scratching on the door I'm sure someone will come up
  • nikkid
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @viking1
     if you don't hear anything - the details about the DVD are here https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/treatment/surgery/staying-mobile-after-surgery/. It comes with the Berlei bra etc 

The Strengthen Your Recovery DVD is included in the My Care Kit. If you did not receive a My Care Kit, but would like a copy of the DVD, please phone BCNA on 1800 500 258 or you can order online from this link :)
  • viking1
    Options
    Great stuff!
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    And as far as dressings go, you can get plastic spray on dressings from elastoplast that are waterproof, I applied larger waterproof dressings over mine and it just made life so easy. Xx 
  • viking1
    Options
    I just rang BCN and they are sending me a dvd and bra! Thanks @nikkid!; I do have that spray in a bottle @socoda so will give that a go too. Have written note asked family downstairs if they would mind checking on me once a day if not busy as yesterday didn't feel like going downstairs but wanted a hot drink and toast to take my panadol on. Just basically to fill water, check I've had antibiotic and painkiller and say hi! 'Borrowed' some bread, honey and cereal for up here to keep me going till I get to shops. Was feeling sooky about it but then though of women everywhere home alone with no help. Wish I could help them. Guess spoilt from mum being a good 'nurse' to sicklings, whether we we 3 or 33!
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    @viking1 glad you are on the mend.  There are some benefits of being solo. Overanxious partners and children checking to see you havent fallen of the perch. The constant reassuring to them that you are okay even if if you dont feel well. 
    Then seeing as your not doing much you get to hear their problems. 
    I too worry about woman or men doing it tough totally alone. Everyone needs a big hug and plenty of reassurance that everything will be alright and this is what I am sending to you.
  • viking1
    Options
    Yes, those are some benefits, especially with little kids. Good to think of that side of it too! Hugs to you too ☺xxx