Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Finding a new kind of normal

Options
2»

Comments

• Vix
    Vix Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi Tennille,
    I really wish I could reach through the screen and give you a big kind, caring & understanding hug. I hear & feel every word you said! I have been on the mets rollercoaster since 2013 & found out yesterday I have to change from Abraxane chemo due to new tumours/tumours increased in size & add in some head radiation too. Stay strong, it's okay we have moments but we stay strong & stay positive & jump the hurdles thrown at us. This is such a gorgeous group of people that provide such support. Love and hugs to you x
  • KimW
    KimW Member Posts: 76
    edited May 2017
    Options

Tennille said:

First diagnosed in 2011, 35 years of age and 32 weeks pregnant. Right sided mastectomy, level 2 clearance 3/26 nodes. Chemo 6 months, radio plus Tamoxifen. Switched to Zolodex and Aromasin 2016. Original tumour was 3cm ER+ PR+ HER2-  Stage 2B, Grade 3. Four weeks ago after having an abdominal ultrasound for gallstones mets were found in my liver and bones. Total shock as I haven't experienced any real pain and LFT's all normal. Currently awaiting approval for a clinical trial for Palbociclib and have started on Denosumab and staying on Aromasin for the time being. Onco continues to tell me treatable but not curable. I am a hugely positive person but I am still struggling to get my head around all of this. I am a single mum of 12 and don't know how to live my new kind of normal. Where do I even begin?
    Hi Tennille,

Firstly sorry to hear about your recent mets diagnosis.  I was diagnosed with liver mets 5yrs ago and original diagnosis was in 2002 so 15yrs ago now.

That feeling of shock and huge sense of doom and gloom shall lift give it time its such a huge shock and adjustment to your way of life and threat of living.  It took me about 18mths to finally see through that huge shock and for that cloud of doom to start to dissipate, I was also seeing a psychologist once a week to help even then it was hard I would just break down and cry every time I left the house wondering how the world would look like after I was gone.  I can't make the pain go away wish it were that easy, but the best advice I was given was firstly to give it time and secondly break down you weeks into days 24hr blocks if its easier to cope just focus on each day as it comes and try and get thru each day, then shift your focus to aiming to get thru a week and so on and so on.  

know that what you are feeling right now is completely normal and don't be afriad to ask for help if need be
    all the best xx