What makes you have a reconstruction?

Options
2»

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    @melclarity. Yes me too. As long as people  are comfortable in their own skins and decisions. We should all be supporting each other, just like people  on this wonderful site do. 
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Like @primek and @melclarity I have just had a reconstruction - a DIEP Recon (just under 3 weeks ago). This was 12 months after a left vertical skin sparing mastectomy and insertion of an aeroform tissue expander.

None of it has been easy and the notion of vanity is just ridiculous! And I agree with @Jane221 that this has really been a turning point in my recovery. I almost feel like I can now handle anything!

What we, as a community, should never do is (1) draw into question why another has opted for a certain treatment or recovery path and (2) think that one path is easier, or more authentic than another. (I think we generally do a really good job of this)

I celebrate our diversity...but will not ever feel like I have to justify the decisions I have made. All I will say is this: I'm bloody happy with everything I have chosen to do and have done along this winding and weaving BC path...because every decision has been mine (informed by experts, and with some input from my loved ones). I own where I was and where I am now....and I couldn't be happier with the person I am, inside and out, today.

Hugs to you all

Nikki x
  • Karen1909
    Karen1909 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Paula
    Those of us that are on this journey have every right to tell people that they and their comments are not helpful. That's how I'm sorting it out at the moment, but I find sometimes it comes out of the blue and I'm left staring.....I have a few catch phrases I use now and keep moving!! My theory is that their judgments come from fear or lack of a filter on their mouth!

I'm off to hospital in a couple of weeks so hoping to avoid most of the human race before then!
    Love
    K
    PS wish I could be more helpful B)
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    We all have our own stories as to why we do or don't reconstruct. I had a mastectomy 7 years ago as a result of a recurrence. So my first bc was 14 years ago and I had a lumpectomy,full node clearance and radiation.I was in shock when it came back in the same spot.All I could think of was quick get rid of it. I wasn't offered recon in anycase. Honestly,I was just grateful it hadn't spread and I was alive.I became abit paranoid that cancer could return again in my scar line so have watched it like a hawk for years. I felt that a reconstruction might mask another cancer.So that's my reason for not having recon. However,I don't like living with 1 boob- I tolerate it.I have a lot of chest discomfort,feel disfigured and am very inhibited ie never do naked
    I've adjusted and if I have to live with it,I can.But I am thinking about recon. I could only have DIEP recon and that is HUGE surgery and something I need to give a lot of thought to. I am in awe of women who go through such surgery. It's a brave decision either way cos it's not easy living lopsided.It's great to have this network to support each other and read  about other's viewpoints.Hugs to all you lovelies who give your time so generously to this network. xxx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I didn't realise how having a mastectomy scar for 2 years was such a reminder of my negative experiences with breast cancer. For me, having reconstruction has meant that when I look down, I can't see scars on my chest. I also had bigger boobs which meant that I had one large boob and nothing on the other side so I had a bit of back pain. I also hated wearing a prosthesis. I feel better now and despite the pain and discomfort, I would do it again in a heart beat. I have always planned to have reconstruction and this made it easier for me to be positive. It's a personal decision though and I did end up spending about 12 days in hospital after being readmitted, so there are risks. The older I get, the more confident I have become with my decisions. Do what makes you happy. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    It's a very personal decision and there is no right or wrong in the decision made.  Being comfortable in your own skin, whether it's plumped out by an implant or it's deflated..............it is what you yourself are happy with!
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Options
    hi there I chose to have Left mastectomy may last year to avoid the rads and only had chemo, then by choice took the right one off in November last year as a preventative even though my surgeon said I didn't have too I just chose to lessen that risk myself, and I trusted my gut with that one too for some reason I just knew that was the right decision for me and don't regret it, I was sure at 44 I didn't want a reconstruction but after sourcing the prosthetics which look and feel real, I find I am a bit limited in what I can wear with them as they have to sit in special bras, and after doing some shopping post chemo as I lost 10 kgs there isn't much that sits right across my chest as I have no boobs there to fill out the tops etc and I just want a little something there up top now. Margie