Also newly diagnosed

Options
Gladys58
Gladys58 Member Posts: 3
Hi, probably need to just 'cut to the chase' as like a previous post feeling a tad overwhelmed.  Diagnosed Stage 1 Grade 2 March 2nd, Lumpectomy and lymphnodes removed March 8th.  Saw the oncologist today who gave me a lot of statistics about survival rates with and without treatment. The dice are pretty much loaded in my favour so to speak.   Was fine with the Radiotherapy and hormone treatment, but now need to decide about the chemo.  Gives me a slightly better prognosis 10 years but really only slightly, like as in 3% better rate. The thing is the thought of chemo really scares me.  

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    Everyone gets scared by chemo, it's the scary monster in the cancer story. But lots of us have done it, and sometimes it's not too bad. My oncologist once said, when I was questioning my last two treatments, for good reasons, that he didn't want me to ever regret that I didn't do something that might have made a difference later. 3% sounds nothing unless it's the 3% that counts. If you don't have to make an immediate decision, allow yourself some time. In the final analysis, you'll make the decision you feel right about. Best wishes whatever you decide.
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    Hi @Gladys58 it is hard when you are first new to all this .... 
    I chose the chemo and the rads and bilateral mastectomy back in Sept 2012 when I was diagnosed I wanted to be here long term. 
    I am NED (no evidence of disease) and I am reclaiming my life.... 

I wont lie Chemo is not a walk in the park for most of us... but the choice is yours .... 
    Do you have a breast Care Nurse ?  
    https://www.mcgrathfoundation.com.au/OurMission/OurNurses/FindANurse.aspx

Do you have my Journey Kit ? 
    https://www.bcna.org.au/resources/

I am sure others will give you some information that will help you come to the decisions that you feel is right for you. 

ask questions take someone with you to appointments who can write down things and also remind you of questions you have to ask etc. 

Breathe you will get through this .... 
    Soldier crab

• Gladys58
    Options
    Thanks for support.....  I know I'm lucky in terms of diagnosis and just taking each day as it comes.  I have the Journey Kit but for some reason just can't open it and read it as yet.  Not sure why this is.....I work in health and read so much stuff every day about my clients conditions but for some reason don't feel ready to read about mine - too much info i think. I think the problem is that the 3% better prognosis makes it hard to decide.  If they had said 20% better prognosis, it would be easier somehow.   I did try to find a Breast Care nurse thru the mcgrath foundation, but when i entered my post code couldn't find one near me (northern suburbs Melbourne). I know i can ring the breast care nurse at the hospital where i had my treatment so will call her tomorrow.  Was just looking at wigs online - there's a sentence i never thought i'd say :)  
  • Gladys58
    Options
    Sorry,not sure how to respond to individual posts.....I'm not good with technology.    Thank you AFraser, it IS the 3% that counts.  And that's what the oncologist said today.  i.e that to get down the track and find it has come back and then regret not doing everything possible and then self blaming.  
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi Gladys, have you got a good relationship with your gp. They may be able to discuss the issue with you. If you get  a second opinion from another oncologist this may clarify the situation, There have been huge advances in chemotherapy. 
    Some people have many side effects some hardly any. The final choice is yours .It is normal to be scared.It is your decision to make
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    My cancer was a Her2+, Es + so chemo made a big difference for my stats. But what I kept saying was I didn't want to be 2 years down the track and have regrets I didn't do all I could. Hopefully I'll remain cancer free and I know I tried it all to get that result. But it is hard to make that decision. All of us wonder if our choices are the rights one, and once you have made your decision you will feel better. Kath x
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    Another scary feeling is being rushed to make a decision. However much you and your team want to start treatment, a day or two to think calmly won't make much difference. And if you do need a wig some time, take the opportunity to do something wild. You have to milk every bit of benefit out of this stuff!
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    @Gladys58
     to tag someone to reply ... put a @ in front of their online name .... ie @ Soldier Crab 
     and then it tags them. 

• AineG
    AineG Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Hi Gladys58,

I haven't had to go through chemo, I had stage 2b, grade 2 (4cm) + multiple dcis.  I had bi-lateral mastectomy and full node sweep, and radio with Hormone therapy ongoing (early menopause and all that), but for me the question was not so much what % improvement, but from what to what?  ie, are you looking at improving risk of recurrence from 5% to 2% or is it 20% to 17%. 
     What overall level of risk are you assessing.  that helped me to choose when it came time.  maybe your oncologist/ breast care nurse or gp can help give you that number that you feel good with. 

Good luck with your decision.

Aine
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Welcome Gladys. We're here for you for support every step of the way whatever you decide. <3