Second time around

Options
Diannes48
Diannes48 Member Posts: 39
Hi everyone 
Its been a while for me but i have been a bit busy
My mum was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer which had spread to the brain lungs and liver in April 16 i have been traveling to Sydney where she is located. Baçk and forth since April. Sadley she lost the battle in December and for me having had breast cancer myself in 2013 i never wanted  to hear those words again. I came home thinking thats it its over and Cancer is done with us but on a check up in January they discovered that I have breast cancer again this time in my left breast. Whats interesting is that a year earlier the same tests showed nothing and within a year the left breast was full of cancer so much so that the surgeon could not save it and with my history suggested a double mastectomy. I thought to myself that yearly checks are probably too long and mayby 6monthly would be more appropriate for high risk patients. I have had that done and recovering slowly and getting used to my new self.
Not sure whats next one day at a time and just wanted to reconnect with everyone.
Hope you are all going ok and will check in again soon.
Di

Comments

• melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hey Di! Im so sorry to hear about your Mum! I lost mine 8yrs ago so its very difficult. I also had a recurrence, in the same breast at the 4yr mark, and like you in between my yearly checkup, from clear to Stage 2, grade 3 IDC hmmm. I was on Tamoxifen at the time, were you taking anything? recent studies have shown that it only works in 1/3 of cases that it has found a way around Tamoxifen in some women. My Oncologist recently suggests this is what happened to me. I am now on Arimidex all be it having a break for 6 weeks as side effects are crap!! and Im so much better off it! so he may switch to something else. Im recovering from a left breast mastectomy/Diep Flap recon as didnt want to gamble again with that breast. My Mum was the only family history, nothing more, BRCA Gene negative and ER+ so recommendation was not for a double as was unnecessary. Been a 6yr journey for me and have been clear nearly 2yrs, my pathology of the breast was also clear. ITs crap!!! a recurrence when you do all the right things. So sending a hug as I found it more overwhelming 2nd time. Melinda xo
  • Diannes48
    Diannes48 Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi
    Yeah i was also on tamoxifen an now on Arimidex yes also suffering side effects just have to keep going. Off to physio today so we will see how that goes.
    Thanks
    Di
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Great Idea Di! I found working with my exercise physiologist helps alot but my feet pain didnt change, am a little better off it not as stiff. We shall see. Hope the physio helps alot! Hugs Melinda xo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Hi Di. Sorry to hear about your Mum and the new Primary diagnosis in the other breast. So sad to be having to go through this process once again and at a time when you just want to be able to grieve. I hope all goes well and treatment isn't too harsh for you. Kath x
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Options
    Thinking of you Di, Nikki x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    @Diannes48 - just catching up on posts and came across yours.  I do hope you are travelling well.