Going it alone

Options
2»

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It sounds like you need to get your oncologist to tweak the medications you are taking after your chemo. AC is tough, but there are ways of helping with the side effects. Unfortunately, most of the time we just get prescribed the basics and it is not until things go wrong that things are changed. For example, I didn't know that Claratyne would make such a difference to the pain I was experiencing from the Neulasta shot. If it still wiping you out to that extent, please ask if there are any changes that may help.
    The only other option I can think of is get on the phone and start ringing some of your local charities. I've googled where I think you may live and there are a few. Start with someone fairly reputable like Anglicare (who won't be likely to help as they do mainly aged care) and ask them if they know who may have community volunteers. I've got to say I'm reluctant to recommend this course of action as I don't have a great deal of trust in any religious organisations, but it sounds like you are at your wits end. Perhaps the local  hospital auxillary may do home visits as well.  
    As for taking your meds, can you  set  an alarm on your phone to help you remember?  If you do that on a day when you are feeling OK you can set it up as appointments and you can leave a message for yourself to remind you what you should be taking and when. The Reject Shop sells little pill packs--like Webster Packs--that you can use to make sure you can keep track. They  are really cheap, like $2. Id say the nurses in Oncology would help you set that up.
    . Marg
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi Rosehaven, what about Meals on Wheels? Norah Head have a service and their phone number is 4396-4279. The service is not only for aged recipients and you could have just lunch brought to you and then have a cuppa and a chat (there is a fee per meal but it is not prohibitive) - Could you time taking your tablets for when you are having lunch? Hoping that you can get some support. Your friend sounds wonderful.  Big hugs. Xx Cath
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    hi @rosehaven
    these are some links for family support in the area .http//www.ccdn.com.au/services-directory/49-family-support/278-family-support-centre-inc-98400 Central Coast family support service. http//ccfss.org.au/

• InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    Options
    I have a silly question that may have already been addressed; Have you reached out to find a local support group? It's very likely they will have a whole bunch of useful contacts for you even if you can't meet with them.

Could you have the friend you're staying with set up a little stand-by tea station so you don't have to keep going to the kitchen? It's amazing how exhausting even little things can be. Having it next to you might make a big difference - tea is necessary!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Oooh...maybe a pump flask might help even. Just have to make it once then. Just a thought for the tea (but so much nicer with a person bringing it..yes )
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    Options
    I used to have the kids make my a thermos of my tea in the morning and I would just refill my cup as I went through the day, saved me moving as that was too much and collapsing was a feature that liked to raise its head while on chemo...