Options
2»

Comments

• ccasper
    ccasper Dragonfly Posts: 190
    Options
    I agree @primek round three AC knocked me. I was having it fortnightly with the nulasta and still became neutropenic.

i am doing two drugs, carboplatin with taxol (not braca positive but apparently carboplatin has good results with triple negative, ask your oncologist) and have been feeling ok at the moment. Only a quarter of the way through so I know it might change. @submarine Hopefully your nutrition is helping and if you ever feel like walking it's great for the mind and to help with side effects. I know exercising is tough with chemo but if you feel like watching a good documentary about it look up ABC doco about chemotherapy and exercise
  • Ro10
    Ro10 Member Posts: 59
    Options
    Hi @primek Its funny how people think you will be feeling great after essentially having poison pumped into your veins for 6 months! I would think it would take at least 6-12 months minimum for your body to recover from something like that. Unfortunately I'm just at the start of my treatment so I have all that to look forward to at the end!  Would you consider seeing a naturopath who may be able to give you some supplements to help your body recover and repair itself? My naturopath has supported quite a few people through chemo and she has had good feedback from them about their recovery times and general health and wellbeing. I know it's not a magic cure and it's not for everyone but it won't do any harm. She also said that a few of her post-chemo clients follow a ketogenic diet and have had good results in terms of their health and energy levels. Again, it's not a magic cure and may be hard for some people to stick to but maybe worth looking into.
  • Ro10
    Options
    Oops posted this on the wrong thread! I'm blaming my chemo brain... :wink:
    Share Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hi @submarine - welcome to a group that we all hope did not need to exist but is here to help us all. I too had never joined a forum and wished that there was something similar when I was initially diagnosed in 2003 - also with 2 little boys. Can totally understand how overwhelming, shocked, angry, fearful you may feel - all in 1 day sometimes ! It is ok to have all or some or none of these feelings and if we can provide some sort of sounding board then that's what the forum is for. My very best wishes to you and your gorgeous little boys. Sheryl xxx  :)
  • submarine
    submarine Member Posts: 14
    Options
    @primek, you have given me hope - hopefully I am like you and round 4 won't be as bad as round 3!

@Ro10, I have been taking some supplements too and I think they are helping in addition to my new strict diet. I am too scared to try treats at the moment, but I was thinking of what special food I would get for Christmas, so I'll see how long I last without sugar!
    I know it was meant for another post but my oncologist doesn't want me to take anything my naturopath would prescribe because she said it might counter the effect of the chemo... So I have to wait till the end of my treatment to take all the good stuff that will help repair what the lovely poison has destroyed... I am  glad yours is okay with it!
  • Ro10
    Options
    @submarine I did ask my oncologist about taking supplements during my chemo and he said as long as I wasn't taking anti-oxidants, it should be fine and I sent him the list of supplements my naturopath prescribed me and he was fine with it. Apparently anti-oxidants can interfere with the chemo. Good on you for being so strict with your diet. I'm normally hopeless with dieting as I love cooking and baking and basically just love food but I've been pretty good recently and have cut out most sugar, gluten and cut down heaps on carbs and have lost 5kg since my diagnosis. I think we all need the occasional treat to stay sane though!