New Member, Newly diagnosed

Options
Leila34
Leila34 Member Posts: 71
edited July 2016 in Social Groups

Hi, my name is Leila, i'm 34 and have just been diagnosed 24/06/16. I have four kids (7,9,13,15). I have been attending our local Baptist church for the last 5 years and was at a local Pentecostal church for about 8 years prior to that. I have found that my faith has been a real blessing to me in these first few crazy weeks. I have had lots of friends and family praying for me, and although I know its going to be a rough year ahead, im feeling confident that God will see me through it.

Already I have had a few moments where I feel really reassured by his presence. The first was a biggy and that was the fact that the cancer was picked up. I went for regular check up, pap smear, breast check. I couldn't feel any lumps but I had been having some tenderness and sensitive nipples (but by the time I actually had the appointment they had subsided), the nurse suggested we just do a re-scan for peace of mind (I had a scare in 2014 that turned out to be nothing) so I just thought, ok why not? When I went for the scan / mammo I was late (I had mixed up my app time!) but they managed to see me anyway. You can imagine my surprise when I went back for the results and was told I had a new 1.7cm suspicious lump and needed a biopsy right away! The biopsy results showed it is a Grade 3 aggressive cancer, so I am truly thankful they found it so early.

The next encouragement was the fact that my husband and I had decided to see a Christian marriage counsellor abut 2 weeks prior to my diagnosis, and as it turned out on the night of our second session (night before I found out results) our counsellor told us that his wife had also had BC so he knew exactly what we were going through! He has also offered for me to chat to his wife about her experiences.

Along with this, there has been numerous little things that the timing seems to have worked out perfectly  (I know there is not a goodtime to get cancer!).

I am encouraged when I read 2 Cor 12:9-10

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Would love to hear how your faith has upheld you through this horrible journey. I pray that my faith during this process will be a witness to those  around me :)      

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited July 2016
    Options

I don't think I could have survived my cancer treatment without my faith. Its that simple for me. Before I truly turned my faith over to Jesus, I had made an absolute mess of my life. From that day on I've been fine and so has my family. I miss a lot of God's subtle hints in life but I am working on listening better.

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,446
    edited July 2016
    Options

hi Leila34 

I was diagnosed back in Sept 2012 surgery then treatment chemo and radiation into Sept 2013. 

My faith was very strong going through this and I want to encourage you to reach out if you want or need to as we are more than happy to help you carry the load so to speak.  

I had moved into a house with a large sunroom prior to being diagnosed I spent the 12mths in this room basically watching the seasons coming and going and Knowing that GOD was in control in this struggle that had been put in front of me.  The week I got diagnosed my son got his P's I am a divorced mum alone with kids at home, he took up the reins driving me into appointments we were 20mins out of town in a regional city, dropping and picking up the 2 younger siblings from the school bus in town every day. 

Take it one day at a time somedays might need it one step at a time but KNOW God is always with you and your family. 

• Scoop
    Scoop Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2016
    Options

After recently being diagnosed with breast cancer while pregnant, it has become so clear to me that God is my absolute strength.  My family has felt the intense prayer of our church family and the extended Christian family we are so lucky to be part of.  My husband and I described that first week of tests, appointments and endless information as if we were floating on people's prayers. I feel so blessed to have the hope that only God can give.

I'm looking forward to hopping on here regularly to encourage and be encouraged in our walk with God and our walk with cancer.