I feel like a fraud...

Options
2»

Comments

• jacquipp
    jacquipp Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2016
    Options

Karenhappyquilter you are right it is the emotional roller coaster over feeling I have no control. I hope your treatment is going well. You sound so brave. Thank you so much for the support. 

• skitzy
    skitzy Member Posts: 180
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Jacqui

Welcome to the forum, I was diagnosed in January with invasive Lobular carcinoma & I have to say the ladies on here made me feel a lot better about my BC with all the helpful information & support.

It is really hard at first & overwhelming when you are told it is cancer, I just kept bursting into tears, which is a natural reaction.

Take it a day at a time & after each treatment look at it as 1 more treatment over & done with.

I am wishing you good luck with your treatment & remember we are here for you. 

Eileen xx

• jacquipp
    edited March 2016
    Options

Eileen thank you so much. All the support has already helped me. I don't feel so alone. It is great to have somewhere to turn to where people understand 

i hope you are doing well xx 

• Lindyloo
    Lindyloo Member Posts: 146
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi JaquiP,

i too had invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 3. I have recently just finished all my treatment. I was diagnosed last May. At the beginning, in my experience, there were lots of tests, ct scans, bloods etc etc. They need to do all this first to plan their course of treatment. You feel like you are waiting and waiting. But I thought that they have to be thorough first. I ended up with chemo first ( sometimes this happens if tumour is big or advanced) then mastectomy then 25 rounds of radiation. I set myself goals. Firstly to get through chemo, secondly mastectomy, thirdly radiation. Take one day at a time.

i also found it a great help to have someone with you at dr's appointments as I couldn't remember anything that was said! I did also read lots to prepare myself. In my case I like to know what to expect.

everyone has different treatments, different side effects but it is always good to come on here and ask anything. There is usually someone who can help.

i wish you all the best. Let us know how you go.

Linda xx

• jacquipp
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am so glad you have finished your treatment. Like you I like to know what to expect, even just to know options and possibilities rather than going in completely blind.

take care xxx

• RosieJ
    RosieJ Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2016
    Options

I hope things have moved fast, for you Jacqui.

I was diagnosed 16 Dec, 2015...great Christmas Gift, eh?...I had  previously had Breast Cancer and partial mastectomy and lymph nodes , in 1986...29 years ago, at age 40.This current Cancer is a new Cancer.

Total shock for my husband and myself, but so grateful for my caring GP, who rang me on a Sunday afternoon, to give me biopsy results, and then faxing off my info' to Surgeon immediately, resulting in consultation before Christmas, and Surgery 4 January, 2016..Bi lateral mastectomies...Result: Totally contained to 9mm tumour, Grade 3 Invasive. Unbelievably, surgery is almost painless...mostly just Panadol !  (2nd Breast also removed due to fairly high risk of another cancer (my choice.)

My advice is to listen to everything, and act quickly...your Surgeon looks after the Surgery, your McGrath Breast Care Nurse looks after you and all your questions, the Hospital cares for you, then Oncologist looks after the Cancer problem. The support given by BNCA is just wonderful. This will be your "Team " for a long time.

I believe you just hand your problem over to your team, and follow the trail they lead you on...you are most certainly involved in all decision making, and have choices of your own.

I am now on Tamoxifen for 5 years...not so much a choice, but preferred medication, due to side effects of all of them.

Prosthesis', Bras all done in a very caring way, at "You Really Are Beautiful", Lambton, NSW, and full rebate for Prosthesis from Medicare, and 65% off bras, from my Health Fund. Really becomes a "design your own" new breasts !

Good luck on your Journey...one that we really don't ever want to travel on...you will find that there are just so many caring people out there.

• jacquipp
    edited March 2016
    Options

Rosie thank you so much. Every bit of advice from you lovely ladies helps so much. 

I am glad that things are moving in the right direction for you. You sound so brave to have faced all this so well. 

Hugs xxx

• Merrel
    Merrel Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2016
    Options

Dear Jacqui

I'm new to this forum and found your post very true to my own experience.  I was diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer in September 2015, one week after my mothers' funeral.  I was a wreck.  I've now been through surgery (clear margins and lymph nodes) in early Dec, and am having my 4th (and final) round of chemo on monday 21 march.  Then I start radio, to be followed by hormone blockers.  I was in denial for a long time and thought the surgery would 'do the trick' and it would all be fine.  I didn't think I'd have chemo (though I accepted I've have radio, but after seeing the medical oncologist in Jan, I was in for chemo three days later).  I too have existing chronic depression and BC hasn't helped!  I didn't want BC to define who I was, but it has/is changing who I am and how I see the world.  That's OK, but it's taken a while to get used to.  I also sink into massive depressive episodes after each chemo treatment - am convinced it's another side effect of the chemo drugs hammering my system so can deal with this a bit better now.  

My husband is great, but was convinced my test results were mixed up with someone elses right up to the day of actual surgery.  He's supportive, but I don't think anyone who hasn't had cancer understand quite what it does to you. 

One thing which has really helped me to get through the last 6 months has been a weekly planner - I add in all appointments (medical and otherwise) and tick them off when I've 'achieved' them.  I also mark off every single day on a calendar on the fridge so I can see the progress I am making. 

I struggled telling other people about my BC - but was so much happier after I had.  The most surprising people offer support. I have a wonderful neighbour whose partner has just finished chemo who keeps supplying me with chocolate.  I'm now planning on returning to work for a few days a week so I can start getting back into that other world again.  This is scary too!

I'm still preoccupied with BC at times, scared witless and paralysed with grief at others - but know I am moving forward with each day as well.

I wish I had found this forum earlier - it's really great to read other's posts.

take care XX

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi Merrel,

I just wanted to jump in and welcome you to the Online Network.

~Ann-Marie x