Enjoyment is the 'key'

Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited March 2016 in Health and wellbeing

In the two and a bit years since I finished active treatment, I have been keeping track of 'exercise' in a daily diary. Every now and again I flick back through the pages and it gives me a great sense of achievement to see all those days and days of being active.

Never have I ever been this consistent with exercise in my life before! So what do I think is the 'key' to achieving this now? I think it is finally realizing that I can actually ENJOY being active. If I try something and I don't really enjoy it then I try something else. The important thing is do SOMETHING everyday rather then forcing myself into something major that I don't enjoy and therefore will ultimately not continue with.

So, if you are trying to get active during or after all this, then find something you enjoy and that is easily achievable. If you have to put in a major effort to just get ready or get to a location then you may not have any energy left to actually DO IT! After you have been doing something consistently you can then add to it or change it if you want. Don't set yourself a goal that is too hard. 

Now that I enjoy what I do I don't have to use my energy to come up with excuses as to why I can't do it! ;) Deanne xxx

Comments

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,113
    edited March 2016

What you have said is so important. I believe with any exercise you have to enjoy it. When you enjoy it you don't even feel like you are working out. Thank you for sharing this with the group Deanne x

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Orbost, VictoriaPosts: 0
    edited March 2016

Thanks Deanne, you're an inspiration, Trace xxx

• Kari_2015
    Kari_2015 Member Posts: 107
    edited March 2016

What a great idea, prior to my diagnosis I was just starting to get to a reasonable fitness and sort of enjoying the whole exercise thing.  Now that my hard treatment is finished I am now ready to start back again and it seems so daunting (I remember how much it hurt in the beginning - both physically and mentally).  A diary might be just what I need to show how much I am improving to keep me going.

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,315
    edited March 2016

Here, here, every day I do something, whether I feel like it or not.  I hurt my back a couple of weeks ago and went stir crazy not being able to exercise.

hugs

Paula xx

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,113
    edited March 2016

Writing it down Kari is always a winner, even a little video blog is great to keep.

• Deanne
    edited March 2016

Exactly, Ann-Marie. I think I just so enjoy the fact that I am well now and can do some exercise that I no longer have this idea in my head that exercise is something hard or unpleasant! It's a positive experience for me now. :)

• Deanne
    edited March 2016

Yes, it really has helped me to look back and see my progress. Hope it works for you too, Kari. xxx

• Deanne
    edited March 2016

Hope that your back is feeling better, Paula. I feel like a bird with my wings clipped if I cannot exercise! I hurt my knee last year but luckily could still swim for exercise while it healed. 

Hugs to you too! Look after yourself. xxx

• Deanne
    edited March 2016

Thank-you, Trace. That's really lovely of you.

But really I'm just hoping to encourage everyone to enjoy life. For me that means looking after my health by being active. We all know how wonderful it is to feel good again after what we go through with bc. I just want to keep feeling that way now! :) xxx

• SarahL501
    SarahL501 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2016

Hi All,

Thanks for sharing your experience, Deanne. What kind of diary have you been using?

Kari and others, we are thinking of making a downloadable exercise diary template available on our website. What would you like us to include?

Days of the week, type of exercise, number of repetitions, duration, notes/comments?

• Deanne
    edited March 2016

Hi Sarah,

The diaries were gifts from my daughter. They are just standard one week to a double page with a notes section.

For me they have turned into a journal of my recovery. I have made all sorts of additional notes that were important to me (weather, events, location, medical notes) and had some effect on what exercise I was doing.

I have recorded things like distance and duration as well as what the activity was. It can get a bit repetitive at times but my daughter has made stickers to represent different activities that save me having to hand write everything.

It would be good if there was some way of individualizing the diary to suit different people and the type of exercise they do. You want it to be a positive thing not something that makes you feel like you are not doing enough with lots of spaces that are not needed for your situation. :) Deanne xxx

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,315
    edited March 2016

Much better. 

Thanks 

Paula :)

• SarahL501
    SarahL501 Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2016

Thanks, Deanne. That's great feedback. Your daughter sounds like a gem!

• Kari_2015
    Kari_2015 Member Posts: 107
    edited March 2016

Hi, I think Deane has covered it all, hard to know what you need until you start using it!!  Maybe a small area to record improvements after each fortnight/month?? Eg walked 5km 5 mins quicker