Hi from WA

Options
Phyllis
Phyllis Member Posts: 17
edited June 2011 in Social Groups

Hi,  I'm not really sure what a "blog" is...I think it's a messge, I'm not very computer savve.  :-)  Anyway, here goes.....

I think it's great to have a Christian group of ladies, as small as we are, hopefully the group will grow.  I attend a Baptist church twice a month...my husband has the car 2 Sundays a month for his hobby of model boat sailing, and I have the car the other Sundays for church, so we compromise.  :-)

I look forward to getting to know you all and having some nice conversations.  :-)

Cheers for now,  Anne  :-)

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anne

Welcome to the site.  You will find lots of friends here and lots of information being passed around.  WA is a lovely state.  I visited the Perth and Margaret River area last year.  I have to go back - just loved the wines and chocolates!!!. Feel free to add me as a contact.  XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anne

Welcome to the site.  You will find lots of friends here and lots of information being passed around.  WA is a lovely state.  I visited the Perth and Margaret River area last year.  I have to go back - just loved the wines and chocolates!!!. Feel free to add me as a contact.  XLeonie

• Phyllis
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Leonie,  :-)  Thanks for your reply,  I'll certainly add you too my contact list...if I can work out how..LOL !!!  So you've been to WA..., Perth and Margaret River, well, I live between the two, in Mandurah, on the coast south of Perth, you may have heard of it.  It's a lovely place and I've lived here 20 yrs.

I'm lucky that my GP is also a Christian and goes to the same Baptist church I go to.  I've found him very supportive, not only because of my cancer but in all aspects of medicine.  His wife also has had breast cancer, and she had a lumpectomy just last year.  She's doing fine.

From the enquiries I've made there doesn't seem to be many cancer support groups in WA. There used to be one in Mandurah but they don't exist anymore which is a shame.  Though I've had lots of support from my family and friends seem to have come out of the woodwork !!  :-)

Cheers,  Anne  :-)

• Phyllis
    edited March 2015
    Options

I got my prosthesis yesterday...it's fantastic, feels great and looks amazing and has given me so much confidence.  And the best thing about it....the Govt will pay for it  :-)  I just have cushion filling in my bras, but now if I go out I can wear the new one and feel totally ok that it's not going to ride up or look awkward.  I've never worn low cut tops anyway, but it's still nice to have a "normal" look about my body again.  I'm not going to have breast reconstruction surgery.  Perhaps if I was much younger or single I might have considered it, but not at my age when I'm basically a home body.

• Leonie Moore
    edited March 2015
    Options

You will be a new woman.  I have not lost a boob - just have my "leftie" trying to hide under my armpit due to the surgeries.  My friends have fun with their prothesis' - mind you not in public.  So glad you took advantage of the Govt issue.  One of my friends told me the other day that her mother had the same one for 20 years!!!!  You can get re-issued every so many years - not sure how often though.  Go forth and enjoy your new confidence. XLeonie

• Anne Maree
    Anne Maree Member Posts: 173
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Phyllis,

I was encouraged to find a group with desire to encourage one another spiritually.

I Live in NSW but was born in WA. Most of my family still live in Perth. I just had 1 week in Perth recently after completing my initial treatment.

I was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer in 2010.

Support from the Local church is invaluable. I was blown away by the number of people who wanted to support me through my journey.

Prayer has played a big role in my journey.

I have not had any contact with support group as well, I found the support from other believers sufficient in the early treatment period. Now as my condition has stabilised I desire to be involved in an ongoing support group.

Regards

• Phyllis
    edited March 2015
    Options

I got home from Darwin this morning after spending about 10 days with my daughter.  I hadn't seen her in over 3 years.  She has 2 little boys aged 5 & 6.  Unfortunately she's an atheist and so speaking spiritually to her was almost impossible, she's very anti Christ.  It's so nice to be home again with my husband where I can pray again openly and feel comfortable.  Though I did have a pleasant visit with Beccy.  There is a little underlying tension between us, but we both did our best. to get along.

It's 5 months this week since I had my mastectomy and I feel great.  I still haven't found a support group in my area, though I don't really think I need one now.  I feel quite comfortable in my body again, and am trying to live my life as if it never happened and as if  it will never happen again.

Where abouts were you born in Perth ? I grew up in Subiaco.  I was actually born in Mt.Gambier South Australia, but my family moved to WA when I was 3 yrs old.  I've lived in other parts of Australia from time to time, but only for short periods.  My son lives in Geelong and Beccy is in Darwin at the moment because her husband is in the Army.

Thanks for taking the time to write Anne Maree,

Cheers,  Anne  :-)

• Phyllis
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi girls,  I hope some of you are still checking this page out, I haven't been here for a couple of months, just wanted to get away from anything... CANCER ...for awhile, but I'm ok with it again now. :-)  I guess we all have our moments when we just want to forget that cancer ever happened to us.  I've been trying to tell myself that it was really all a bad mistake and they didn't really have to take the boob off at all, then today I got out my medical reports and read in big bold capital letters....  MALIGNANT....so I guess I can't deny that.  :-)  Maybe if I'd had chemo or radiation I would feel more... cancerish  :-) but I just feel as if I've had an operation and I've had a few of them, though this is the first time I've lost a boob.  :-)

I had fun a couple of months ago, one of hubby's mates was over.  I told him to close his eyes and hold out his hand and I put the prosthesis in his hand...LOL...the poor man just about turned purple.  :-)  He's in his mid 70s and just didn't know what to do....but he laughed, he knows what a nut case I can be.  :-)  Now he reckons he can brag that he's had his hand on my breast.  LOL.

On Dec 23rd it will be a year since my diagnosis and Jan 31st a year since the operation....not sure what date I should have as my anniversary !!

I hope everyone on here is well.....

xxx  Anne  :-)

• cscurry
    cscurry Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ann,

I too am with this group.  I feel to encourage you with your daughter.  We all have one thing in common and that is, diagnosed with breast cancer however, we also are Christians and know where are hope lies.  My husband was an atheist up to 36years old, then the Lord healed our son who could not walk and was told by the doctors he would be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life. On the day God healed our boy my husband gave his life to the Lord.  He then went into the ministry and became a paster for many years.  I also have two other sons who live in another state.  They once knew the Lord and then turned away to become confessing atheiests. Through much prayer and seeing those boys as God sees them rather than the circumtances, I see one of them opening up more and becoming more open to God.  I believe they will both return to the God who loves them.  Never worry about where you daughter is, God loves her and will bring her to him and it will be in a way that may surprise you.  Confess every day of her salvation and don't let her belief let you see her in falling away.  Nothing is impossible for Him.  Now when I see my boys, I see them loving God.  Your daughter will too, as I will stand for you in prayer.  God bless you and be encouraged.  I'm happy for you that you are coping well after such an ordeal with breast cancer.

Christine

• Vickie White
    Vickie White Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

There are jelly fish as we call them to put into your togs.

They are a different shape to the regular ones otherwise they would act like floaties. 

By the way I am having a black T shirt embroided in white saying

YES THEY'RE FAKE

MY REAL ONES

TRIED TO KILL ME

to wear at the Black and White dinner at the Ulyssses AGM here in Maryborough Qld in April.  XX V

• Vickie White
    Vickie White Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

There are jelly fish as we call them to put into your togs.

They are a different shape to the regular ones otherwise they would act like floaties. 

By the way I am having a black T shirt embroided in white saying

YES THEY'RE FAKE

MY REAL ONES

TRIED TO KILL ME

to wear at the Black and White dinner at the Ulyssses AGM here in Maryborough Qld in April.  XX V