Osteoporosis

Options
Robyn W
Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
edited June 2015 in Health and wellbeing

Hello ladieees!!! I went yesterday for my first bone density scan,after my osteo diagnosis one year ago.My T scores this time last year were all between 3 and 4. They are now between 2 and 3!!! This is partly due to my prolia injections,but also my diet and regular exercise.I feel very relieved and happy,and it makes me even more determined to try harder!!! I hope that everyone is doing as well as they can be.Also,the blog seems to be getting back to where it used to be I think,in terms of the number of replies to posts.Lets keep it up.:):)Cheers everyone.Robyn xox 

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's fantastic Robyn, I am borderline osteoporosis at the ripe old age of 52. I have been having Aclasta infusions for the last 3 years.  I am due for a bone density this year so will be interested to see if it has improved.  What do you do exercise wise? Are there any side effects to Prolia? My bone density did not improve after initial Aclasta but the Dr said that it could actually have halted the progression in that if I had not had it, it may have got worse. I. like you have really changed my diet and exerscise every day, but due to my dodgy knees it is mainly walking.

Happy Saturday

Paula x

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's great news Robyn, gives those of us with this problem some hope that things can improve :-) No doubt a lot of your hard work in exercising regularly and changing your diet has helped things along, so well done - might be just the push I need to keep trying to improve my health as well! Take care, Jane xx

• Robyn W
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have had NO side effects at all:) I power walk about 5 k a day,and I do stairs.I eat cheese,milk,yoghurt and a small tin of salmon 3 or 4 times a week.Cheers Robyn

• mum2jj
    edited June 2015
    Options

That's brilliant.  I am walking my 10000 steps daily and eating a very similar diet to you.  Have you noticed a lot of the salmon is boneless these days.  I always make sure I buy with the bones and eat them.  Actually prefer it.

Paula :)

• Robyn W
    edited June 2015
    Options

Same here,I like the ones with bones too.The doctor told me that it's important to eat the bones.One thing that I didn't realise though,is that your body can only absorb 500 mg of calcium at a time,so if you have too much at once,it's just a waste of time! 

• rowdy
    rowdy Member Posts: 1,165
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn great news for you, it is nice to hear good news

• mum2jj
    edited June 2015
    Options

Didn't know that about the 500mg. I learn something new here every day. Thanks 

Paula x

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited June 2015
    Options

Well done Robyn , it's a great achievement good on you for your hard work. Adean xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn, great news for you. I am due to have bone scans in November and I am hoping for some improvement, I also have prolia injections. I try to exercise but I'm nowhere near as active as you:) I'm really happy for you,

Hazel xx

• Robyn W
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Hazel:) Part of the reason that I walk so much is that I don't drive a car!!! Iam sure that if you are eating your calcium and doing SOME exercise,your results will be good too.Hope you are well:) Robyn xox

• Annedipa
    Annedipa Member Posts: 73
    edited June 2015
    Options

Great news Robyn, so happy for you

• Chixon
    Chixon Member Posts: 153
    edited June 2015
    Options

Well done Robyn. You are a constant support and inspiration for us all!! Chris.xx

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn!

so happy your osteo results are greatly improved! That is great news - have been wondering how things have been going for you....although I've been off here for a whole, still think about the ladies on here & how everyone has been! Got nearly 700 posts to catch up on now...hee hee! Big hug to you x