Options
2»

Comments

• Cath6053
    Cath6053 Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hi Karen, 

How has your case with the legal team at the Cancer Council gone? 

I am sure they have already informed you of your options by now. I would encourage you to lodge a "Fair Work" claim for unfair dismissal - it's as simple as filling out one of their online forms. 

I know it takes time to fill out the details of what happened, but as it only costs $66 to lodge a claim, it is surely worth it, and when the outcome is awarded in your favour, your former employer will be ordered to pay you your entitlements, plus compensation for your unfair termination of employment.

You don't have to appear in the same room as them, you can do the "conciliation" over the phone with your legal team speaking for you.

I have been down this path myself (unfair dismissal - before my breast cancer) and found the process to be well worth the time and effort.

Cath

• DaisyMarigold
    DaisyMarigold Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Karen - don't know how you're going with all this now, but am posting a story below for you. The woman was sacked while having treatment for breast cancer, started a petition and has got her job back. I'm thinking compensation, because I don't think you wanted to go back?

Thank you so much - good news!

Pam Brunswick
    Ferntree Gully. Victoria, VIC

5 Jun 2015 — With most sincere gratitude, I wish to express my heartfelt appreciation for everyone's support of my change.org petition.

The good news is that NPT have personally and publicly apologised for sacking me unfairly - and ensured I have a job to come back to when I’ve recovered.

This was all quite devastating whilst coping with my serious health issues. But I can now start putting this behind me and focus on recovering.

I started my change.org petition out of desperation really – never expecting that an incredible 60,000 of you would support me. And all your signatures and support worked!

But this isn't just about me and my job. You've helped send a clear message to all employers that sacking staff while recovering from serious health issues isn't acceptable. And that there are thousands of people across the country who will back them up.

Thank you again.

Pam

P.S. If anyone else is facing similar situations with their work or other issues, I'd recommend starting a change.org petition by going here.... https://www.change.org/start-a-petition

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi ladies

the Cancer Council have been fabulous and have organised probono legal help for me. The solicitor says I have a very strong case. Funny Pam, my solicitor mentioned the lady who appeared on A Current Affair last night. As he said, there is a lot of discussion about this issue at the moment and he is sure my former employer will not want the bad publicity. They still haven't paid me my entitlements so they are just making it much worse for themselves. 

In myself I am enjoying having a bit of a break from working. My lymphodeama has practically disappeared and I'm not feeling completely exhausted. I have been for 5 interviews so far, so I am sure I will find so etching sooner or later. 

I know what I'm doing is the right thing. Evil triumphs when good people do nothing. So this good woman is doing something about it. 

Have be an ice long weekend everyone. Karen xox

• DaisyMarigold
    DaisyMarigold Member Posts: 315
    edited June 2015
    Options

Maybe you needed a break Karen - it does sound like it. I hope it's really restorative. And I'm so glad you have a solicitor on the case now - that's great news. Do let us know how you go. Pam xx