Working out after my operation

Options
twhi8749
twhi8749 Member Posts: 47
edited January 2015 in Health and wellbeing

I've finally caught up with my blog posts.  This morning. second day after my operation, I wondered whether I should I start a workout or leave it another day? Decided to give it a go with some slight alterations and less reps and with 1lb weights (so much easier than my usual 10 lb weights!!!). I felt really good this morning (and quite honestly I was itching to do something having sat, relaxed and rested most of yesterday!!!) 

First exercise of circuits was push ups. Decided to do them off the wall. 10 complete. BIG smile on my face. (Usually it's 20 off the floor but who cares - I'm doing them). Squats no problems with a lighter weight and then into the up right row - careful, careful - making sure my brest didn't pull - it felt fine - away we go ... slowly. Completed my four rounds. High five (ouch, now that hurt). I moved through the whole of Module 1 doing all the four circuits and tfour sets. Only needed to change the stability ball rollout to pullover on the bench. I found that lateral raises pulled at my breast  tissue using a light weight so I did that exercise without any weights. Planks were a breeze though I cut from my usual 90 second hold to a 30 second hold. 

My husband, watched me carefully (to make sure I wasn't doing anything silly) decided, just as I finished my workout, to grab the bathroom. Great! Rather than sit and do nothing it was onto the treadmill. A bit of cardio would get the blood flowing.

I started at 2 kph butc ould only walk at 4 kph (instead of my usual 6.4 kph) Over 4 kph, even wearing a compression bra, my boobs bounced and I could feel the scar tissue in my breast pulling  I remained walking at 4 kph and increased the incline to 22%. Half an hour later I felt marvellous and it was into the bathroom to shower and to finally have a really good look at my breast. (This is the hardest thing - yesterday it was a quick glance as it was so bruised, swollen and well the dent looked awful).

Deep breath and off came the bra.  My scar is darker than yesterday but the bruising has faded. It's slightly red around the scar tissue and where the tissue was removed from my breast. The breast is tender to touch. The swelling has also reduced and my bra is far more comfortable - I am not oozing out the left cup as I did yesterday. Nor does my left breast look that much larger than my right as it did yesterday. It looks okay - much better than I expected and it is not too bad to look at. I can live with it. (I'll just think of the scar as being my medal of honour). 

When I retired last night I had the blues. Probably because my breast felt sore and also because I received my Breast Cancer Pack in the post yesterday ... I think the pack brought it home to me that I really did have breast cancer ... it was not pre-cancer I had - it was breast cancer! Plus the stress of the operation and of course the wait for the pathology report (hopefully Monday). I felt quite sorry for myself. Then I thought how lucky I was compared to others ... I haven't had any nodes taken out, I haven't had a mastectomy and most of all I probably won't require chemo all huge pluses in the scheme of things. A few silent tears (hubby was sleeping) and I felt better.

Thankfully, today, I woke in my usual happy mood. The workout helped and I'm in a good frame of mind. My blues have departed ... and I'm smiling  

Comments

• Natasha
    Natasha Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow!  It sounds like you are doing incredibly well.  I admire your dedication and I'm glad it made you feel better.  You must feel like if you can do that so soon, it's just going to get better and better.

I hope those results are everything you hope for.

Great job!

• Natasha
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow!  It sounds like you are doing incredibly well.  I admire your dedication and I'm glad it made you feel better.  You must feel like if you can do that so soon, it's just going to get better and better.

Great job!

• Natasha
    edited March 2015
    Options

Great job!

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just wanted to wish you luck with your pathology results today.  The biopsies taken after surgery are the definititive ones and will decide your treatment plan.  My fingers are crossed for you!

It is obvious that you take good care of yourself physically, which is such a huge plus for getting through treatment with the least possible hassles.  Like you, I started exercising the day after surgery but my surgeon told me it was supposed to heal first! (Bilateral mastectomy).  Now almost 3 years later, I only have a fine line scar across the chest and my fitness/diet is back to 100%.

All the best today - let us know how you are going.  Michelle x

• Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    edited March 2015
    Options

I just wanted to wish you luck with your pathology results today.  The biopsies taken after surgery are the definititive ones and will decide your treatment plan.  My fingers are crossed for you!

It is obvious that you take good care of yourself physically, which is such a huge plus for getting through treatment with the least possible hassles.  Like you, I started exercising the day after surgery but my surgeon told me it was supposed to heal first! (Bilateral mastectomy).  Now almost 3 years later, I only have a fine line scar across the chest and my fitness/diet is back to 100%.

All the best today - let us know how you are going.  Michelle x

• twhi8749
    twhi8749 Member Posts: 47
    edited March 2015
    Options

Michelle, thanks for your support.  I received my pathology report today - it was good news and not so good news.  The good news is that the DCIS is still in situ. 18 mm in maximum dimension.   They found DCIS in the medial end and the inferior superficial margin medially (which luckily, abutt one another) which means I will require a re-excision.  The great news is that there is no evidence of invasive malignancy.  My nuclear grade is intermediate and I have comedo necrosis present, ie very early breast cancer which is confined to the duct.  I feel extradinary lucky so far and I am keeping my fingers crossed that clear margins will be achieved in my next re-excision which will happen in mid-February.  

Yes, I've discovered late in life (this time last year) that my body is a temple that needs to be cared for.  In the last year, I lost 25 kilos through  exercise and diet changes.   It's made a huge difference to my lifestyle.  I love hiking (we have some wonderful hikes within 2 hours of Hobart) and working out with weights.  If I don't do a workout on a daily basis, I feel something is not quite right.  It's just amazing how it makes me feel.

When I spoke to my surgeon he did say that I should be able to work out within a couple of days of my operation.  I started with 1 kg weights on my second day and today I used 2.5 kg weights so I am half way to where I was before.  I'm taking it very slowly - mainly working on my form with the light weights.  Squats and lunges are no problem as with step ups, etc but I am still unable to do push-ups.  I tried a couple today but I felt pain so immediately stopped.  I'll leave those until next week!

Well done for working out after your bilateral mastectomy,  I'm not sure how you managed to do that.  It was hard after my lumpectomy but I am so glad I gave it ago.  It's amazing how quickly I am improving.  Yes,  I am sure it not  only helps the healing process but also helps us mentally.

I'd like to workout throughout my radiotherapy (which I have been told I will need as my DCIS is  intermediate grade with comedo) and I am hoping there may be  a trial that I can participate in re exercise.

Any cancer is worrisome and stressful but it's good to know that many people have a great outcome.  It's also good to know that you are happy with your bilateral mastectomy and scaring.  I hope I don't go down that road (it may happen if they cannot get clear margins or the cancer re-occurs in the future ) but if it does happen, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel and that I can continue on with my life as before, thanks to your comments.  

Keep up the good work.  Thanks again.  Sue x