Sleeping Tips

Options
kimmi17
kimmi17 Member Posts: 20
Hi all,  been having some sleep problems as my mind is so busy thinking before I go to bed.....can I ask for some sleeping tips knowing you have bc.  It's hard going to sleep that you know you have it & waking up knowing you will be nearing a day of treatment alrhough that's one treatment off the list.  It gets a bit tiring on my mind & body sometimes but need to go on & fight.  Thanks!

Comments

• SusieQ2
    SusieQ2 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Kimmi,
    I could never sleep the nights leading up to treatment so wouldn't fight it, just put on a movie and watch it in bed until I fell asleep in the wee hours of the morning, just before I woke up again!  I found going to the chemo unit better if I was tired, strange to think of but I was so anxious that it helped, on top of a double dose of anxiety medication.  My GP gave me some really wonderful little sleeping tablets which I needed on other nights, not every night (they can be addictive) but the nights I really had trouble sleeping and needed to.  Anxiety medication before bed helped me and playing the same mindless sitcom on my phone gave me something to listen to each night, not to watch but just listen to and as it was the same episode each night, it would eventually just send me off to sleep.  Maybe some meditation sounds would do the same.  I am not a big fan of taking medication (pre diagnosis!) but the anxiety medication was definitely my best friend in helping me to sleep!
    Susie.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    The herb valerian can help sometimes ( in tablets at the chemist or health food shops) and don't overlook the old favourite, a cup of warm milk! Agree that sleeping tablets aren't the best solution but an occasional mild sedative like Temaze may help if you are getting really frazzled. While the sleep gurus say bed is for sleep or sex, and you shouldn't do anything else there, I too find some distracting activity helps. Sudoku or crosswords are my cure! Do them till my eyelids drop then switch off the light fast! Good luck. 
  • ElaineG
    ElaineG Dragonfly Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi ladies
    my biggest enemy is ANY screen time after 9pm - inevitably still awake at midnight or later - so key here is self- discipline/ routine.
    ANY herbal remedy is contraindicated with my current treatment - but previously I've found valerian good or 'complete sleep advance formula' by naturopathica brillisnt - it has hops & ziphus
    if herbs are not allowed - then restavit (schedule 3) is brilliant & safe.
    hope that helps
    Elaine x
  • kayvie
    kayvie Member Posts: 157
    Options
    Hi Kimmi

I find the biggest thing is not stressing about not sleeping - all part of the journey I guess. Prior to my diagnosis I was an excellent sleeper! But now have issues usually leading up to next treatment.
    Have you tried writing down all the things going through your mind? I do this if things start to get out of hand - somehow committing all those thoughts to paper take them out of my mind - a bit like wiping a blackboard clean at the end of a lesson. I keep a notebook and pen by the bed for this purpose.... Then I will focus on my breathing to relax my body and usually drop off then! Otherwise agree with @Afraser - a cup of warm milk can help too.
    Take care
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I use meditation and relaxation exercises when my mind is racing.  Someone described having a racing mind as being like watching a movie with the directors cut on, we need to find the off button to quieten the excess thoughts.

Stretching and tensing all your muscles also kicks on a relax mechanism.  Stretch for a few moments, then release the tension.
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    edited October 2016
    Options
    If I'm tired I find trying to read and pay attention to a single sentence harder than walking a tightrope. I would already have tuned out of this post by now.

So in the spirit of what my grumpy sleep-desperate self would want and need, I wrapped up everyone's tips for you in easily digestible point form. :heart:

@SusieQ2 said:
    • Watch movies
    • If anxiety, anti-anxiety medication

@Afraser
    said:
    • The herb Valerian
    • A cup of warm milk
    • Temaze sedative 
    • Do sudoku or crosswords until you drop

@ElaineG
    said:
    • Strictly no screen time after 9PM
    • Check herbal remedies are compatible with your treatment.
    •                 If ok: Valerian and 'Complete sleep advance formula' by Naturopathica
    •                 If not okay: Restavit (schedule 3)

@kayvie
    said:
    • Keep a notepad and pen by the bed and write everything down to get them off your mind.
    • Focus on your breathing to relax

@Mira
    said:
    • Stretching and tensing all your muscles also kicks on a relax mechanism. Stretch for a few moments, then release the tension.
    My advice
    • Listen to audio books. Mind occupant, low power use.
    • Visualisation. Deliberately in fantasy so you are not reflecting.
    • No caffeine after 9PM. And no sugar if you can help it. Stimulants bad, sleep good.
    • "Finish" the day before you get into bed. An extra hour awake on a task beats a night lost thinking about it.
    • Repeat: Problems that appear at bed time are problems for tomorrow.

I hope that was useful :lol: