Newly diagnosed Mum with kids.

Options
2»

Comments

• TripleTea
    TripleTea Member Posts: 59
    Options
    @Shimmer78
    yes it was all very quick. Diagnosis Thursday afternoon, bone & CT scans the next day(Fri) and then surgery 8am Monday morning. Being grade 3/Triple negative I think they were expecting it to have spread. My GP obviously thought that  telling me we didn't get it early
  • TripleTea
    Options
    @Shimmer78 . Sorry, half my message disappeared? 
    I still don't think it has really sunk in as I feel fine & healthy now I have recovered from surgery. I guess once I start chemo and don't feel so well it will become more real. Now I just go up and down with emotions like a roller coaster! 
    Good luck with surgery tomorrow. I found the sentinel node needle not bad at all- barely felt it. Xxx
  • Brenleigh
    Brenleigh Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello @Shimmer78, so sorry to hear your diagnosis. Although all my children are adults I do have grandchildren, the oldest is 4 and very bright. we found being as honest as possible. We let her know what to expect from the start. "Nanny had a bad lump and needed to go to hospital and have an operation" Nanny's has to have medicine which will make her hair fall out. she has handled the situation very well. She knows Nanny can be a tired after chemo. The most confronting thing for the kids is being bald. to this day if I take my beanie off the little ones are genuinely freaked out. LOL. Hope this helps. Kids are very smart at this age.

• Barney74
    Barney74 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Hi Shimmer78  if you phone up camp quality depends on where you live explain to me your suitation they may be able to send out a pack on kids with parents with cancer theres an app and book all the best x
  • Shimmer78
    Shimmer78 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi @TripleTea @Barney74 @Brenleigh @Aussiegirl19 @nonkyboy,
    Surgery done and I am home. Had to be at the hospital at 7am and I was in theatre by 8am. Awesome public system.  My surgeon was very happy with the surgery and happy with the result (she moved my nipple over to align it). A little sore and swollen but fwling OK. Now to wait the 2 weeks for results and the next step. 
    Thanks all for your support and advise. 
  • Aussiegirl19
    Aussiegirl19 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    You're welcome Shimmer78. Glad to hear your surgery went well. It's nice to be able to put another step behind you isn't it? Rest up and take care of yourself. If you feel up to it please let us know how your results go. Will be thinking of you.
  • Shimmer78
    Shimmer78 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi @TripleTea @Barney74 @Brenleigh @Aussiegirl19   , Surgery done and dusted.....Results came in last week after surgery and no lymph node involvement and I am triple negative. They are starting me on 4 cycles of TC on Thursday followed up by Radiation. I feel lucky that I have no lymph node involvement and such a short cycle of chemo. Hopefully that will be it  :/  My team here in Bundy is awesome and feel very confident in there expertise. Hoping you are all doing well. Thanks  <3
  • Brenleigh
    Options
    Great news @Shimmer78, no lymph node involvement (yay). Hope all goes well with chemo. I start my radiotherapy soon. No actual start date yet. Hoping it’s not too tough. I am being referred for a trial as there is no hormone treatments for us but first I have to be tested for the BRACA gene. I do not want to carry this gene as that is a different kettle of fish all together. Are you going to have genetic testing done?? Good luck with treatment and take care, Brenda
  • TripleTea
    Options
    That's great @Shimmer78 that you have no lymph node involvement. I have my second chemo this Thursday(12th oct). Not looking forward to it but at least it will be another one down. 
    @Brenleigh I had gene testing appt and blood taken last week and will now wait for the results. Apparently they should be back by Christmas. 
  • Brenleigh
    Options
    Hi @TripleTea, I have a appointment at the ONJ centre on the 24th of Nov. if I’m happy to do this trial they will test me sooner. Not even sure what the trial is yet until I see the oncologist who are conducting it. Apparently an oral tablet for 12 months to prevent recurrence. I will wait and see.  Take care Brenda
  • Aussiegirl19
    Aussiegirl19 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi Shimmer78 
    That’s great news about your surgery and lymph gland results. I just had round three of TC on Monday and only have one more treatment to go as I’m having four rounds too then I’m having six weeks of radiation after that. Feel free to PM me if you’d like to chat one on one. 

It’s great to hear you’ve got good support.

Good luck with everything and I’ll be thinking of you.