Finished chemo today, yahoo!

Options
volunty
volunty Member Posts: 17
edited March 2018 in General discussion

BCNA klaxon please! So…. as everyone says here, and it’s hard to believe at times, you do get through chemo. Today I rang the bell, yay! I got to the end of 3 months x 3 weekly AC and 12 x weekly Taxol) and very happy to see the end of it.

Apart from celebrating I wanted to thank everybody involved with this forum, particularly those who ensure new posters are responded to and the moderators who keep it a safe, sane and welcoming environment. It’s been a big source of information and reassurance for me as I made my way through a classic diagnosis (TNBC), surgery (single mastectomy, no node involvement, they took 3 to check) and chemo route. No radiation required.  Every personal story no matter how big, small, new or advanced helped me stay on track, thank you. 

How was it? Well, you learn on the job and work out the pattern for both the three-weekly and weekly treatments. Things that I learned, or that helped me were: keep eating and keep moving, even if it’s only a tiny bit on the bad days.  I started loosing weight on AC as the weird relationship with food kicked in: mouth ulcers (who knew toast was your enemy!), heartburn (never had that before) and not nausea because I took the drugs but the altered taste and general squeamishness that comes with chemo. Inside a kitchen cupboard I wrote a list of simple things to eat/prepare when I just could not get inspired and was staring into space feeling yuck and knew I should eat (eg. stock cube in boiling water with toast to dip, noodles etc). I ate loads of fruit (summer bonus) and tomatoes survived the regime so salads and boiled eggs filled gaps. Family and friends helped with more substantial meals.

Taxol was less demanding as my reading on here had me hoping it would be and the hardest was this last four weeks really. So close and yet so far with the fatigue kicking in, sometimes I thought I would like to just sleep my way through to the end.  My weight stabilised and my hair started growing back round about Taxol 5 or 6. Neuropathy kicked in about then too and will be with me for a while I suspect. Not too bad but inconvenient and a bit weird. My nails are stained and weak but keeping them very short helps. Everybody remarks on how clear my skin is, go figure, either another side effect or the six months of no alcohol (my choice as I felt vaguely hungover most of the time anyway) and the plain diet. That’s about it. I have 3 weeks free before I go back to work (I took six months off to do this) and I plan to forget everything and enjoy myself until then, especially next week when there will be no bloods or chemo!!

Good luck to all travelling the same road, this resource is terrific and I will no doubt be back as it will always be relevant.

Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Yaaayyyyy! @volunty
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Huzzah @volunty! Well done!

I'm mid chemo and am also being told how good my skin looks. Amazing what no booze and a clean & healthy diet can do eh?! I've lost a big chunk of weight that needed to go, daily walks helped.

Enjoy your three weeks off. You deserve it! K
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
  • annsan
    annsan Member Posts: 46
    Options
    @volunty great insight and handy hints.  Congratulations!
  • jadziatoo
    jadziatoo Member Posts: 38
    Options
    @volunty. Congratulations. 
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Options
    @volunty - the bells are ringing here for you! Congratulations and thanks for the wonderful feedback about the value of the online network. Have a wonderful 3 weeks break and just ease back into work as much as possible. We will still be here if you need to make contact either online via the network or by ringing the Helpline on 1800 500 258. Take care, Rosie  
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Well done @volunty and congratulations!!
  • lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    Options
    Woooohhhhhhhoooooo!!!!xxx
  • Scared Mum
    Scared Mum Member Posts: 169
    Options
  • Scared Mum
    Scared Mum Member Posts: 169
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Awesome another one of us in the TNBC club to get through this shitty ride that we call BC .  Well done love. I finished oct 2016 and by the july last year all my neuropathy in my hands had gone along with my menopause symptoms And i used the gel nail polish which I still use as I have a couple of dodgy ones left to keep my nails strong and stop them breaking half way down my nail bed. But hold your head high warrior woman you did it. Biggest hug Margie. Xx 
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    @volunty you must be sooo relieved, it's such a long haul.
    Go easy on yourself at work. You are going back very early, I'm guessing you have little choice, so be mindful that you need to take extra care of your self. This stuff affects everyone differently, but pretty much everyone takes a while to bounce back to full strength. Don't try to be superwoman! 
  • Janny54
    Janny54 Member Posts: 89
    Options

Well done @volunty its the best feeling.

Take care

Jan xxx

• volunty
    volunty Member Posts: 17
    Options

Zoffiel said:

@volunty you must be sooo relieved, it's such a long haul.
    Go easy on yourself at work. You are going back very early, I'm guessing you have little choice, so be mindful that you need to take extra care of your self. This stuff affects everyone differently, but pretty much everyone takes a while to bounce back to full strength. Don't try to be superwoman! 

Thanks @Zoffiel - I'm negotiating a 3 day a week contract rather than return full time. Technically I could retire but I like working and feel a 're-entry' will stave off too much introspection. I'd like to use the next 6 months to recover (my lovely breast care nurse warned me to allow min that much time to get back up to speed) and then decide whether I retire or apply for jobs/go full time or whatever. I took the six months off without pay so topping up resources is also a motive, yes. 
  • smokie08
    smokie08 Member Posts: 157
    Options
    @volunty

Congrats well done its one thing off the list!!!!

Take care X :)