Triple + young mum

Options
Loz R
Loz R Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone. Recently diagnosed with triple positive breast cancer. No family history. Have had lumpectomy and then went back for full axillary clearance. I am stage 2 and requiring chemo 12 wks AC and 12 weeks of taxol/herceptin. Radiation at the end. 
I guess I'm just wanting to hear of people in similar situations and positive inspiration. I am so scared but have to do it for my young children. I am about to start my second round of AC and my hair is rapidly falling out as I type this. This for me is the biggest thing about all of this (hair loss). Love and strength to you all ❤️

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Hi there, sorry you have joined us but a big welcome nevertheless, you will find lots if friendly people here willing and happy to share their experiences. I had A/C, Taxol and Herceptin nearly five years ago (mastectomy, no family history of any cancer). Many women find losing their hair one of the hardest things, you are not alone. I really hated the weird feeling of my hair before it went so was almost glad to see it go. It started growing again while I was on Taxol. One of the inspiring comments from another of the good people on this site is Don't look back, you are not going that way! So don't grieve too much for your hair, look forward to getting it back. I didn't find A/C too bad and I loathed Taxol, but most people find it exactly the other way round. No issues with Herceptin at all. As you may have gathered, individual reactions vary wildly! Ask away about anything at all, there are no silly questions.
    I have my five year test in 2 months, I think I am fine, I am living a normal life (work, travel, my only child is an adult but I have had two grandchildren in the last 2 years!). There can be an awful lot of life after cancer! Stick in there, this too will pass.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi @Loz R, and Welcome to the forum. Very sorry that you're here though. Have you booked in for the Look Good, Feel Better course?? You're breast care nurse or Cancer centre should be able to tell you when it's on near you. It helps with make up tips, wigs etc. Also there is a group specifically for young women that you might like to join - here is the link - http://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/group/10-young-women. Above all feel free to ask any questions, have a rant, use the forum as a safe haven for expressing how you're feeling. It's wonderful to be able to get support from people who know what you're going through. Big hugs, and wishing you all the best. Xx Cath
  • Mrs_H
    Mrs_H Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Hi Loz R, welcome and sorry you have to join. Sadly there are lots of women in similar situations who have been there or are going through it. I myself am one of them. I'm 29. I was diagnosed 24 April this year with triple positive in both breasts and spreading to the right lymph nodes. I'm currently undergoing 5 months of chemo. I finished AC dense dose about 6 weeks ago. Today I just finished my 5th infusion of P'Taxol. I've also done 2 rounds of Herceptin with the Chemo. I'm due to finish Chemo at the end of September and will then have a bilateral mastectomy without reconstruction.

I disliked AC Chemo. I hated feeling "sick". I wasn't ill in the vomiting sense but I was run down, had no energy, taste was off, wasn't hungry but had to eat etc. Also the constipation sucked!!! It took ages to get that under control, drink lots of water. I'm downing 3L plus a day.

P'Taxol has been considerably easier for me as I just haven't had issues as I did with AC. I don't feel sick or ill. I haven't had any reactions with the infusions either. Herceptin also hasn't been an issue so far.

Losing my hair was upsetting at first but watching it fall out just made up my mind to get rid of it. I've actually found losing my eyebrows has been hardest as that's when I've felt I truly look "sick" or "cancer patienty". Funnily enough I don't feel that way at the moment. I've found an awesome and cute cap that I wear when I leave the house to feel "normal". I also wear sleeping caps to keep my head warm and covered when I have people around. Personally I don't want anyone but my husband to see my bald head so I cover it most of the time. I guess that's me just trying to be normal about the whole thing.

Good luck with the Chemo. I hope the rest of the chemo is uneventful. I found reading other people's experiences hear did help me balance my expectations and not freak out about what was coming. Cheers, Jen.
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    Hi there Loz. This Old Fart's 59, so old enough to me your mum. You mention above that your hair loss is a huge issue for you. I had grown my hair long from my teen years and it was down to my bum when diagnosed about this time last year. My hair was a major part of my identity and it was almost like tree rings...it told the story of my life. Up near my head was recent history, and as you went down, there was my past, with all its memories, both good and bad/sad. I decided that this bastard of a disease was not going to take my hair...I was. Before it started falling out in chunks my family all helped and I got shaved. Photos are before, during and after the process. It was the most intimate and traumatic thing to shave it all off, but VERY empowering to me. I was in control of my hair, the cancer could have the remaining 2mm. I still have my plait, my husband uses it for a fly whisk!! My chrome dome now sports a bit of fluff, and I call it my mango pip. Be strong...it will grow back. In the meantime, you'll be in Warrior Mode. Good luck...you can do it.
  • Molly001
    Molly001 Member Posts: 419
    Options
    Hi @Loz R, I totally get why you're feelng scared. Cancer & treatments are scary business! But, you know what, don't be scared that you can't do this because you've already come so far. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other and you'll get through each treatment before you know it. I have found the fear to be worse than the reality with everything so far. I've had right mastectomy with axillary clearance, 6 cycles of TAC chemo and half way through 6wks radiation. Next is 10yrs hormone therapy. I have a 1yo & a 4yo and they have been my inspiration to push on when I've felt like giving up. Also, I've chosen not to work during treatment, so it's a bonus year at home with my babies in their formative prime, even though I've not been well. Check out Christine headwear online. Very designer. A bit pricey but well worth it. My sister bought me a turban, which i love and am totally comfortable wearing out & about. I have a wig too but never wear it. Wearing headwear makes you self conscious at first, but you soon get used to it. I often forget about it now, and 7wks post chemo have some decent growth coming in. We're all different, but I found my first chemo the worst & radiotherapy so far has been fine. Hang in there & all the best xxxooo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    The hair loss is hard. I went with cotton scarves and cotton hats. Just type chemo headgear in Google search and lots of choices pop up. 

My niece had 10 pos  nodes at 32. 14 years on she remains cancer free. She called her treatment ACT-H liquid gold. I had the same treatment and am 18 months down from diagnosis.  It's hard going but totally doable.  Kath x