Massage- lymph nodes

Gerryb
Gerryb Member Posts: 106
edited July 2017 in General discussion
hi lovelies, I'm off to Bali in October. After 8 months of treatment, I finished radiotherapy 28/6 and have healed ok. Is it ok to have relaxation massages, I had 3 lymph nodes removed. Fingers crossed I have not developed lymphodema. 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I can't see why not. Sounds wonderful.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sounds lovely @Gerryb, something to look forward to! 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @Gerryb I don't know about the massages, but just be aware of swimming pools, I found the chlorine irritated my skin where I had radiation, it comes good in time. Have a wonderful time. Melinda xo
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hey @Gerryb, I reckon go for the massages, and the cocktails, and the sunshine,and the relaxation - OMG I'm jumping in your suitcase!!!! Hope you have the most sensational holiday lovely. Xx 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    edited July 2017
    I'd check with your doctors.  The advice I was given was to make sure any massage therapist is properly trained in lymphatic massage (I'm not sure of the technical name), and when I had a massage after my surgery the therapist saw the scar and avoided the area.  I only had about 4 nodes removed.

Have a great holiday :) 

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,323
    @Mira is correct.  Massage is great as long as they aren't massaging towards your hand.  Of course the idea is to bring the lymphatic fluid towards your body so it can be filtered out. Just check with a lymphatic physio/OT if you can.Have the greatest holiday, you deserve it.Paula xxxx

• Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    Hi there @Gerryb - Just jumping in to agree with the girls that it can sometimes be best to have a chat to your medical professional before hand, just to be sure. Hope you have a wonderful time in Bali :-) x
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    Have a good holiday ... I would ask onc if you need a compression sleeve for flying if you had an axillary clearance in your arm?