HUMP TIME for Radiation = Cancer Survivor??

Options
sandramj
sandramj Member Posts: 253
Today feels like a HUMP day - when Ive come to the top of the hill and my life is changing - cannot explain it all, but from today things will be different in. my life.  Its 50 years today since my Mum passed away at 42 - I had just turned 17 and maybe this has something to do with it.  Don't know.   But as I began rubbing the Vitamin E cream into my boob today I felt a change.....  I felt like I was now a cancer survivor.  I know that I shouldn't say that this soon into treatment - Yet that's my gut feeling.  After the half way mark yesterday with radiation I feel like Im on the homeward run as a cancer survivor not a cancer fighter.  I have felt good and as normal as I used to except every now and then my mind wanders and I remember I have breast cancer.  But my mind isn't comfortable with that statement now.  I feel like Ive had breast cancer and now Im a survivor.  
I do understand that until the pet scan about 5-6 weeks after treatment finishes the doctors won't think Im a survivor - and maybe it could return.  But right now, in this moment I am a survivor.
This very week Ive heard about women not directly in my circle of friends or family who have had drastic diagnosis and have what I would describe much more of a fight than I face, and it has made me realise how fortunate I am with my diagnosis and fairly simple treatment thus far.  I am so LUCKY to be where I am right now and feeling so good.  
Maybe this is just one of the highs to precede the next low - or maybe I am over the hump.  
Anyone else feel like this during their journey?
Well onward and upward from this cancer survivor.  Invitation to you to get on this train - we are going places we have never been before with a whole new attitude and love of life.  It'll be a helluva great ride.  Toot. toot.  All aboard.  :)<3:) 

Comments

• Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Options
    Some people don't like the term "survivor" but others really embrace it. 
    For me - I decided I was a survivor the day I found my lump. My GP couldn't feel it and the mammogram 6 months earlier didn't detect it either. The ultrasound confirmed its existence and even while I waited for the results of the biopsy I decided that I had beaten it. 
    I remember thinking "You thought you could hide but I found you and now I'm going to get you before you get me!"
    There are no rights and wrongs with breast cancer - there just is what there is.
    Good luck. 

• Breezer110
    Breezer110 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    This train certainly takes you to place you would never have seen or thought of visiting before! I know we have our highs and lows but don't feel as if you need to have the lows just because you recently had a high. 
    When I had my diagnosis I thought you aren't gonna get me I'm going to beat you. I don't know what I would call it but I've fought and survived the ordeal so far. Ive battled with many things and made new friends on this train.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I think it's fantastic that you are thinking of yourself as a survivor. You are. The cancer was cut out. You are just putting down weed killer now. We don't have a crystal ball to know our future but to embrace survivorship helps us go about the business of living not the fear of dying.  Standard treatment doesn't involve any pet scan after but it seems some private Drs continue to do it.

My sister for 5 years had whole body scans annually as was the old practise. She did this for 5 years and all clear. 3 months after this metastateses was found because of pain. The annual scans didn't help. I think the scanxiety and iver exposure to Xrays worse for health.

Recently it has been changed that best practise is not for those annual scans anymore except for mammography if you still have breasts. 

Hope you find the link below helpful.

https://canceraustralia.gov.au/affected-cancer/cancer-types/breast-cancer/life-after-breast-cancer/follow-after-breast-cancer

Yeah...to half way.
    Kath x
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi primek this is the standard protol ....but it does not pedict the unpredictable it it just for the breast

no test yet to determine whether metastatic bc is lurking.lots of research being done but not there yet
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Thank goodness for modern day medicine which tells us we can have treatment and survive whereas once it was a very bleak outlook indeed.