Mastectomy bra and prosthesis issues

Options
Jenjoy
Jenjoy Member Posts: 49
Hi all, its been 2 1/2 years since my left sided mastectomy and I am doing well. I do have a problem with mastectomy bras and prosthesis though. Even with great fitters and rebates, I have spent hundreds of dollars trying to find properly shaped prosthesis and comfortable mastectomy bras. My bras constantly twist and I end up lopsided with a sore remaining breast. I have a large DD/E cup remaining breast and a very big hollow in my chest wall opposite. The bra fittings usually go well and I now have 4 prosthesis and 10 bras but within an hour or two I am all twisted round and am constantly pulling and pushing! My remaining breast gets so sore that I am beginning to think my only alternative is to remove that one too but I am also emotionally reluctant to do that. Bras and clothing are torture for me as it is so obvious. Has anyone else had this issue and if you removed the remaining breast, did it work out? This seems so petty after everything else before it but it is driving me nuts.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Sorry, I don't think I can help but just wanted to sympathise. I too have a large cup, but haven't had this problem. It doesn't sound like you need another fitter, but if you want to try another and you are in Melbourne, I can recommend mine. Surely there must be  another solution other than losing your breast, but I can fully understand the discomfort and the frustration. I had to wear a soft pad, rather than a proper prosthesis, for a year due to a very large and persistent seroma and that nearly drove me batty, because of its tendency to "float" but with no actual discomfort. To be putting up with this so for so long isn't petty at all, shows great fortitude on your part. I always think it's the little things that can surprise us emotionally - we deal with the big ones, but all the frustration comes out over the apparently smaller things! Strength to you.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Have you tried a cropped singlet. I just thought maybe less chance of it riding up. It's just a thought. You are not being petty at all.