Christmas menu

Mira
Mira Member Posts: 678
edited December 2016 in General discussion

Hi guys,

I'm just curious what everyone's having for Christmas this year?  I'll be on my own so I get to eat anything I like :smiley:

My menu for the day is ...

Breakfast - Sticky date pancakes served with yoghurt, berries, walnuts & a drizzle of golden syrup.

Lunch - Cosier chicken served with roast carrot & pumpkin salad with toasted walnuts, and my special potato bake.  Dessert will be Christmas pudding icecream.  Homemade vanilla icecream mixed with Christmas pudding, fruits, nuts & liquors, topped with melted chocolate sauce & fresh mango & berries.

Dinner - Chicken & mango salad served in baked tortilla cups. 

My icecream makes 6 serves so I'll probably have it again for dinner, and the next day, and the next day .... :wink:  Life on your own means more icecream!!!

(We need a Christmas or food tag!)

Tagged:

Comments

• HelloCaroline
    HelloCaroline Member Posts: 52
    Sticky date pancakes?! Sounds amazing! We plan to go to the beach for a Christmas brunch. A sunny start to Christmas day is always a good thing. Have a delicious and relaxing day!
  • Mira

Thank you Caroline, you have a great day too :)

Sticky Date Pancakes  

Serves

75g
    dates- chopped

¼ cup boiling water

½ cup wholemeal flour

¼ cup plain flour

1 tsp bicarb soda

1 tsp ground cinnamon

½ tsp ground ginger

1 tbs Golden Syrup

2 egg whites

¾ cup buttermilk

¼ -½ cup skim milk

4 tbs low fat Greek style yoghurt

1 banana- sliced

1 tbs Golden Syrup

30g walnuts- chopped

Place
    dates and boiling water in a small bowl and stand for 10 minutes.

Sift flours, bicarb soda, cinnamon & ginger into a large bowl.

Mix together Golden Syrup, egg whites, buttermilk & skim milk until just
    combined.

Add wet mix and date mixture to flours and mix well.

Heat a small sprayed non stick fry pan over medium heat.

Add ⅓ cupfuls of mixture and cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles appear, turn
    and cook other side.

To serve top with yoghurt, banana, walnuts and drizzle with Golden Syrup.

• HelloCaroline
    HelloCaroline Member Posts: 52
    Oooo yum. Thank you very much for the recipe!
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    We are planning on a platter of nibble's which we don't normally indulge in much and keep renewing that throughout the day. Its going to be a hot day so just a nice smoked ham (the expensive one) and salads. Christmas pudding (the store bought one and microwave), ice cream and custard. There might be a bit of soft drink (calories) involved as well. Night time will probably be left overs or perhaps I will cook some sort of meat and we'll have the salads to finish. A bit of Lions Christmas cake for dessert.
  • Mira
    Yum Brenda, I love a good platter!  I forgot, I'll be having my traditional creaming soda to drink as well.  I only have it a few times a year due to the cals.  Have a great Christmas :smile: 
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    We will start the morning with pancakes and fruit with greek yoghurt or ice cream.
    Lunch will be prawn cocktails, crumbed calamari, fried camembert with cranberry sauce and crayfish served with a homemade seafood sauce. Toss salad, cut fruit and changs noodle salad.
    Tea will be roast turkey and pork, roasted pumpkin, carrot, onions and spuds. Mixed cooked greens.
    Desserts will be choc ripple cake and pudding. 

We have our ham on New years day...as always too much food at Xmas, so for that day I do a glazed ham.
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    We will be eating the entire shopping centre. Lol   xxx
  • Mira

Oh yum primek, what time would you like us all over there??  Have a great Christmas.

Adean .... I'm right behind you!  You have a great Christmas too :)

• Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    We have children who are vegan and my husband and I are vegetarian though I eat fish, so, snacks of hummus and biscuits, entree of melon balls, an old family tradition, then nut roast, baked veggies, gravy, IKEA veggie balls, salads, vegetarian sushi.  Dessert will be fruit salad with vegan chocolate mousse. Tea  is left overs, with bread, avocado and tofu. Sounds a bit spartan I suppose.   I miss the turkey, ham, shellfish, but hey, it's one day and makes my children happy which is the most important thing.  Other people's menus sound wonderful.  I have made vegan ginger bread, it smells amazing.  Haven't tried it yet.  Best wishes for a happy Christmas to everyone on this network, whatever we eat.
  • Mira
    That sounds delicious Karen.  I have at least one vegetarian day a week.  Have a great Christmas :smile:
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    My daughter is vegetarian so this year it's a chestnut/walnut/parsnip/cranberry log as well as cold pork and turkey and lots of salads - iced pea soup for starters. We do Christmas Eve dinner, so hopefully it will have cooled down a bit. Christmas Day? Doing nothing - leftovers in sandwiches while I read books and listen to music!
  • Mira

Yum Afraser, do you have a recipe for that log?  It sounds delicious.  Have a great Christmas :smile:

• Cosette
    Cosette Member Posts: 637
    @Mira, I would like to go to  your house for Christmas.

Also, I created two tags: holidays and food  :)
  • Mira
    edited December 2016

Thank you!  Not many of the tags are for happy things!!  I like to focus on the happy's!  

Happy Christmas Cosette :smiley:

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    @mira, it's on the BBC Good Food website. As is the pea and mint soup recipe.