Newly diagnosed

Options
Kareena Arthy
Kareena Arthy Member Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Newly diagnosed

Hi everyone,

I found out this afternoon I have breast cancer. I don't really know much or remember much from the phone call with my Doctor. All I know is I am lucky - all I remember is the words 'we got it early'. I am in total shock!

I found this website and immediately felt some comfort and strength from reading your stories.

How on earth do you get through this?

It all feels so overwhelming.

I hope one day I can give strength to others - but that seems a very long way away.

Cheers,
Kareena

Comments

• TinaW
    TinaW Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sorry to hear your news. Robyn is spot on, just take each day as it comes. Keep a notepad and a pen and write down any questions and concerns so you remember to ask your doctor.
    I was diagnosed 30th Oct last year so still remember very clear the emotions you go through when diagnosed.

We are all here for you and if you ever want a chat I am always happy to meet up for a coffee xxx

Take care xxx Tina
  • TinaW
    TinaW Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sorry to hear your news. Robyn is spot on, just take each day as it comes. Keep a notepad and a pen and write down any questions and concerns so you remember to ask your doctor.
    I was diagnosed 30th Oct last year so still remember very clear the emotions you go through when diagnosed.

We are all here for you and if you ever want a chat I am always happy to meet up for a coffee xxx

Take care xxx Tina
  • janinaj
    janinaj Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Kareena,

I'm so sorry to learn of your news. I know it comes as a major shock to the system to hear those words.

I was diagnosed in Nov and have since had a mastectomy with full axillary clearance to remove my tumor which took up most of my breast and have just entered my third week of my first cycle of chemo.

It's tough. I won't lie to you. But if you take it step by step and take each day as it comes you will find it very doable. Try not to google too much. Everyone's experience is different so your best just asking people in this forum or other forums and your breast care nurse for advice as you go. I've found that has really helped me.

All the best hon, keep us posted on how your going.

Cheers,
    Janina

• janinaj
    janinaj Member Posts: 75
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Kareena,

I'm so sorry to learn of your news. I know it comes as a major shock to the system to hear those words.

I was diagnosed in Nov and have since had a mastectomy with full axillary clearance to remove my tumor which took up most of my breast and have just entered my third week of my first cycle of chemo.

It's tough. I won't lie to you. But if you take it step by step and take each day as it comes you will find it very doable. Try not to google too much. Everyone's experience is different so your best just asking people in this forum or other forums and your breast care nurse for advice as you go. I've found that has really helped me.

All the best hon, keep us posted on how your going.

Cheers,
    Janina

• Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kareena,  Welcome to this wonderful forum - you have definitely come to the right place.   I rememer the terror of hearing that I had cancer. Like you my doctor called me, Melbourne Cup Day last year, with the dreaded result.  That day was the worst of all.  The anticipation and waiting for the result and then the call.  

The best advice that I have been given here and by my medical team is to " take one day at a time".  

Everyone is different, but as soon as I found out I told everyone, my family and closest friends.  News spread quickly and before I new it old friends and new friends were there and encouraging me with love and support.  

Of course, none of them really understand what I am going through and this is where this site is so important.  You won't feel so alone if you spend time here with us.  However, the love and emotional support from everyone else is what brings me happiness.   I stay connected, by ringing emailing, private messaging on FB and skyping my friends and enquiring about their lives.  They too have their struggles.  I try very hard to keep things as normal as possible and be someone people want to be around.

Once your oncologist gives you your plan of treatment you will find you feel more settled.  It is the waiting and wondering about how each step works that is the difficult part of all this.  Oh, another great piece of advice I learned here was to understant that "anticipation is worse than paricipation".  I have found this to be totally true.  When I get scared about any new treatments, I remind myself of this.

I have only had one lot of chemo and due to have my 2nd round this Friday and I feel less stressed about it this time than for the first round.

I wondered how people get through it but we just do.  Keep coming here and you will be inspired by some really great women.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and I know you can do it.

Big Hugs

Joy xx

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Everyone has given you great advice, especially the one step at a time. Most of us struggle with the waiting and it pays to keep busy during this time. I reacted by finding out what I could do to help prepare myself for what maybe ahead. I kept up my exercise because this helped my body and mind to cope with the stress.

Once I knew that I had to have surgery I just concentrated on getting prepared for this in practical ways. Googling is hard to resist but please stick to reputable sites such as this one, the cancer council, Cancer Australia and gov sites. There is some very unreliable misinformation out there.

You get through everything by just taking it one day, sometimes one hour at a time. Wonderful support from the ladies on here will help you too. Wishing you all the best for whatever treatment you may need. Deanne xxx
  • Kareena Arthy
    Kareena Arthy Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you all for your lovely messages.  I really appreciate the time you have taken. I see my surgeon next week.  Until then I will take everyone's advice to take one day at a time and to not Google (although I have already failed on that last one). xxx

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

My advice is to google away--most of us do it anyway.  some sites including this one have their own bias 

I do agree that this time you describe is one of the most difficult--but it is a diagnosis of cancer and potentially life threatening so give yourself room to feel shocked, upset, anxious and then in time there is also room for positive outlook and that for most women it is treatable

In my early days--speaking 6 months out! --i found some of the messages that reflected others experiences were not my mine--you wouldnt know i had surgery, i only missed probably 4 weeks work and two

weeks of that was annual leave, i didnt have chemotherapy, i wasnt offered mascetomies, elected mascetomies etc...life was pretty much the same with a anxiety thrown in, more rest, less alcohol, more excercise...side effects for tamoxfin have been minimal....

there are a range of possibllities and experiences ---this initial phase does pass and those intense feelings..in my experiences get better

best wishes

• Tashie125
    Tashie125 Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is a scary time right now as everyone has said and yes with time you will get through it. The initial tests and diagnosis time is quite stressful and definitely full of anxiety. I like you wanted to Google but didn't want to in fear of reading the wrong material and I definitely did nt want to read any doom and gloom stuff. I'm 6 months down the track, life isn't exactly the way it used to be but it's a dam close as I can get it! Good luck with it all.
  • Tashie125
    Tashie125 Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is a scary time right now as everyone has said and yes with time you will get through it. The initial tests and diagnosis time is quite stressful and definitely full of anxiety. I like you wanted to Google but didn't want to in fear of reading the wrong material and I definitely did nt want to read any doom and gloom stuff. I'm 6 months down the track, life isn't exactly the way it used to be but it's a dam close as I can get it! Good luck with it all.
  • mandycoop
    mandycoop Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Joy,
    I was called in Melbourne Cup Day to get a repeat mammogram and ultrasound for a suspicious area on my screening mammogram. Not how I intended to spend the day at all!
    What has been your treatment plan?
    Did I see you at LGFB in Southport yesterday?
    Mandyxx
  • Bearteggie
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mandy,  I was at the LGFB workshop on Tuesday 28th and Vicky used me as her model for the wigs and turban demo.  Were you there?   I was hoping to befriend someone there but didn't get a chance to really strike up much of a conversation.  It was a good morning and I felt much better for having attended.  It was nice to be in the same space as other people in the same situation.  

My Treatment is 3 rounds FEC chemo, 3 rounds Doxetaxel followed by 30 daily radiotherapy sessions.  

I have had one chemo round and due for my 2nd this Friday.  Off to see oncologist this morning to see if that is still going to be the case.  I feel great today, the best I have felt since I started this journey.

I hope you are feeling ok today.  

Best wishes

Joy 

• mandycoop
    mandycoop Member Posts: 87
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes I was there, I actually sat next of you when I first came in. I was there with my girlfriend from Melbourne.
    You did a great job up the front!
    I have just had my 3rd dose of FEC.
    Are you getting treatment at the GCUH?
    Who is your oncologist?
    I have met a few triple negative ladies on here and we are planning on regular coffee dates...in between our treatments if you would like to come along.
    I would be happy to journey with you.
    Mandyxxx
  • Bearteggie
    edited March 2015
    Options

After replying to you yesterday, I did remember who you were.  Yes, I am being treated at GCUH.  I can't remember the name of my oncologist and have only ever seen her registrar and the cancer nurse.   I am about to have my 2nd round of chemo today.  I would be very happy to join you and other ladies for coffee in between treatments.  

Look forward to seeing you soon.

Joy xx

• Ann1e
    Ann1e Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I have only recently joined this group.  I've been diagnosed with BC on the 25th of August, and had surgery on the 28th.  I am going for a second surgery again this Thursday.  I try to just take one day at a time, but the waiting is really the worst part.  I hope that you will find strength and courage through the next weeks.