The merging of two worlds

Options
Stemgirl
Stemgirl Member Posts: 93
edited July 2013 in General discussion

Today I decided this student of learning would become the teacher. It is fortuitous that my third cycle of chemo falls during the school holidays.

Many weeks ago, as my 17 year old son was feeling really down because only a couple of people had 'liked' his latest status on Facebook, I decided there and then that he was coming with me to be my chemo buddy for this round of treatment. I need him to see the world outside of that little iPhone or computer screen, and that there are actually worse things in life than not getting the response you want to on Facebook. 

Day Chemo selfie

Don't get me wrong, he's a great kid, on the verge of adulthood; he's smart, funny, compassionate and a deep thinker. He is also a unique individual who excels at the things he is passionate about, but frustratingly  nonchalent about things for which he has no interest. I really wanted him to spend a brief moment of time in the world that many thousands of people physically live in every day, and hopefully put those Facebook statuses in perspective.  Plus, he is good company and I thought it would be fun to hang out together for a few hours.........Continued on my WordPress blog

Comments

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really enjoyed reading your blog on Wordpress...just fantastic! I will make sure to read more of your entertaining and informative blogs....Jenny

• Stemgirl
    Stemgirl Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2015
    Options

I love writing and I find it a great way to express myself. I'm back at work at the moment, in a very busy job, having to read and write loads on non-creative stuff, so my blog is suffering a bit - not enough hours in the day. That was definitely a plus side of having chemo - time to sit and reflect and think (even if it was through a chemo fog!). As much as I'm dreading my upcoming surgery at end of November, I'm hoping I'll be able to use that as an excuse to do some more writing. Ngaire.