Support groups Brisbane

Charlie2019
Charlie2019 Member Posts: 17
Hi
I live in Yeronga Brisbane and am new to this network . I am looking for a bc support group to join. Does any one know which would be the closest support group to me? 
I had early bc 8 years ago and had a lumpectomy and radiation treatment then got on with my life thinking it was all behind me.  Then in February this year I found out it had come back again and I had to have a double mastectomy. On the plus side it was caught early again and I didn’t need chemo (y th he screenings worked for me 😊

I went to the BCNA conference on the Gold Coast last weekend and found it so helpful to talk to other women about their bc journey and share some laughs. 

I am having lat dorsi reconstruction with implants in February next year and would love to hear others experience with this surgery and the recovery process.

Tagged:

Comments

• KarynJ
    KarynJ Member Posts: 193
    @Charlie2019 Hi.  The only support group I've been able to find in Brisbane is connected to the Wesley Hospital.  You don't have to be having any treatment with them to join the groups.  It's open to anyone.  It's called the Wesley Hospital Choices Cancer Support Centre.  They have a structured program running Mon - Fri during work hours.
    http://wesley.com.au/services/the-wesley-hospital-choices-cancer-support-centre/services-and-events.

Other than that, I haven't been able to find anything else in Brisbane.  I get fobbed off with people saying phone the Cancer Council. I find it very annoying.  It's something that I think BC nurses for example should know.  Or at least have a list of direct phone numbers e.g. here's the southside support group number.  Not just a generic 13 number.

I know the Wesley isn't that close to Yeronga but at least you can get connecting trains if you don't want to drive and pay exorbitant parking fees!
  • Charlie2019
    Thanks heaps for this @KarynJ. I will look into the Wesley one. I can't believe there is no support group in Brisbane.  I was at the BCNA conference on the Gold Coast a couple of weekends ago and met some lovely ladies from the bayside area where there is a support group but it is too far away for me. 
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    @Charlie2019 there is list of support groups available on the BCNA website - if you can’t find the site you can call the Helpline and we can help locate a local group for you. 
  • Charlie2019
    @Rosie_BCNA I did ring the help line and they couldn't find any near me and suggested I post to see if anyone knew of any.  I am only 7kms from the CBD and am surprised that there aren't any nearby.
  • KarynJ
    @Charlie2019 Same here. I'm at Acacia Ridge, only 15km from CBD. I found it astounding that there wasn't some kind of support group for inner south especially with the PA and Mater in that area. I even tried searching Meetup.com but no luck there either.
  • Charlie2019
    @KarynJ maybe we should start one up?
  • Charlie2019
    @KarynJ I am Going to go this on Wednesday. Would you be interested?
  • Sally_AS
    Sally_AS Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Charlie2019. I’m really keen to join the bayside group - apologies for being hopeless... Would please post link to join? I can’t attend this Wed (chemo day, yay...). 
  • KarynJ
    Hi @Charlie2019. Thanks for the info. I appreciate you thinking of me. Unfortunately I work full time and can't get to any events during weekdays. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543