KateM
KateM Member Posts: 6
edited February 2019 in Health and wellbeing
My 1st Radiation tomorrow.  Any tips and tricks to know??? xx
Tagged:

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    No real tricks.  Use Mepitel if they've got it.  Moo Goo Udder Cream is great for use on your skin at other times.  Tell the nurse if you're getting sore.  Apart from having to go in every day, it's a pretty easy gig.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Oh...and don't bop to the music in the background!  You have to stay still.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Don't do the creams/lotions before an appt, but use it 2-3 times a day afterwards - or more.

Will you be face up or face down?   I was face down.  If your gown does up at the front (for face down) make sure it stays closed when you sit down in the waiting room!!  It is easy for the flaps to 'separate' all on their own - and you give the room an 'eye full'!   ;)  

All my rads people were lovely.  Gentle stroking & prodding & pushing to get you into position each day ..... you become strangely reliant on them over the 3-5 weeks that you are there.  I became a tad emotional on my last day.

Further along, when you start to feel your breast is quite warm & possibly itchy - a face towel soaked in salt water solution (salt dissolved in water - not sure of the proportion - prob a couple of tsp to 1 Litre) and left in the fridge, placed on the boob is very refreshing & cooling.  Have 2 going at once, (in a plastic bag - just soak in the solution & wring out) so you can replace each one straight away if needed.  

All the best xxx
  • Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    I am day 19/25 through rads. I am definitely feeling the effects now, but it is different for everyone. I have quite bad fatigue-I have been working full-time until now but sleeping loads on the weekend and yesterday also slept for 2hrs when I got home from work ( I have quite a physical role), I don't think the heat is helping....

My advise: Take care of yourself, walk daily (even if you don't feel like it) and even if its only a short walk, eat well, drink lots of water, pile the cream on-I have been using MooGoo which is good, but now have radiation dermatitis, but then my skin has always been sensitive.

@arpie, you are so right about the gown-I like mine front opening so am always careful, but had a laugh with another patient the other day when his front opening gown slipped-Definitely showing a bit much leg he said!!

Bring on next Wednesday for me and all the best for your treatment.

Michelle xx
  • arpie
    Well done, @Mjheke - not long to go now!  It sounds like you still have your sense of humour too!  (SO important to be able to laugh about some of it, eh?)

Gosh, I don't envy you working thru it - and glad you have time off now.  It sort of sneaks up on you, the fatigue - so take are of yourself in this final week. This heat is just over bearing!   xxx

All the best ..... and be prepared for the 'possible' emotional last day, as you go to say goodbye to them!  I blubbed big time!   :(  
  • Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    Thanks @arpie, I will definitely blubber I think-someone else finished their treatment the other day and rung the bell-I blubbered then!!  :'(
  • arpie
    That just shows we are sympathetic to others!!   How do you cope with being a nurse then?????  I'd be blubbing all the time! LOL

All the best xx
  • rose
    rose Member Posts: 34
    14 down, 6 to go for me. Bring on next Thursday! I take my own dressing gown in, and leave it there. I hate feeling like a patient, and at least if I have my own gown, I feel more like me. 
  • arpie
    Good on you @rose - that way you remain an individual!!!  All the best for your last week of treatment xxxx
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    My 15 sessions went well, staff very gentle and attentive, nice music during the treatment (except for one lapse when ACDC's Highway to Hell blasted forth - I loved the irony), used MooGoo moisturiser and had a very mild tenderness. The fatigue was intense and I rested - I'm retired so it presented no problems. I like the idea of taking your own gown. All the best.