Pillow Talk

Options
Jameela
Jameela Member Posts: 11

Hi, I am fairly new to BCNA. I was diagnosed
in late July with a BRCA1 mutation, had my first ever mammogram and U/S which
showed a mass on the U/S but not the mammogram, had a needle biopsy which confirmed
IDC and adjacent DCIS in my L breast. MRI showed some more suspect areas of potential
DCIS in both breasts. After a lot of anxiety, reading, and extremely helpful
advice and support from the women in the breast reconstruction group (and I
should add my BS & PS), I am scheduled to have a bilateral mastectomy with
expanders on 5th September.

It is strange how leading up to my
operation I am fixated on what seems to me to be very small and trivial things.
I suspect my subconscious is doing this to prevent me from thinking too hard
about the actual procedure. It also in some way makes me feel like I have some
control in the planning of a process that seems to be largely out of my
control.

So, finally getting to the point of this
thread, I have read lots of your comments about the use of pillows post-op to
help get comfortable and improve the chances of getting some sleep. Several of the American sites I have come across talk about systems of wedges,
and pillow set-ups that sound extraordinarily complicated. Does anyone out
there have any suggestion for a side-sleeper that detests sleeping on her back?
Did any of you use a special pillow or just have a few extra pillows on hand?

Sharyn

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    @Jameela I got a special little pillow given to me by my breastcare nurse the day of my single mastectomy - they are make by volunteers and look like a satin covered travel pillow. I’m a side sleeper too but had to learn to sleep on my back for ages. Am now back to my side now that I’m all healed. Wishing u all the best for your surgery xoxoxo
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hi @Jameela I don't know that any one system works reliably. I think that we keep ourselves very busy trying different combinations in the hope that something will work. In the meantime, our bodies proceed with some sort of healing and adjustment process and things get better on their own. 
    I do recommend one or two V pillows  to wedge yourself up in  bed or on the couch to reduce the chances of doing what I do all the time--prop myself up on one arm and use it to move around. Ouch! 
    If you have a couple of soft cloth bags you can carry over your shoulder take them with you to hospital. They help you manage the drains which can be awkward at night. Sorry if that's too much information. Mxx
  • Harvey1903
    Harvey1903 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    Yes, I had to learn to sleep on my back.  Did for a week prior and very quickly learnt how to sleep on my back.  I took my own pillow to hospital and at home worked out a wedge with other pillows.  Surprisingly I now still sleep on my back with the help of a medical sheepskin.  Positives are - no sleep wringles on your face.  ;)
  • Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hi @Jameela, the pillow @Kiwi Angel mentioned is called a Zonta pillow and they are usually given to you by the breast care nurse at the hospital. The cushions can be tucked under the arm to provide support when you sleep, and can be used to protect you from the pressure of a seat belt after surgery. Ask the Breast care nurse to arrange one for you. Bets wishes, Rosie  
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    For me the breast care nurse organised the berlei bra, the pillow, a cotton bag to carry xrays in and a smaller bag for the drain bottle. The photo shows my shawl over the pjs so visitors couldn't tell and my cloth drain bag

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Hi Jameela. I am a side sleeper and after some noodling around on the internet before my double mastectomy & DIEP recon I bought a huge U shaped body pillow. They're often marketed as maternity pillows; I got mine from Amazon. I found it really helpful and comfortable, using it for almost four weeks. I also bought a wedge pillow from Aldi but I only used that very briefly. As a side sleeper I can recommend the big U pillow. Somehow I was able to drape myself over it, and it over me, and get vaguely comfortable.

I see you're in Melbourne, would you like it? I've washed the cover, it's yours if you want it.  :)  Kate xox

• Jameela
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and suggestions - they are a great help. I'll ask my breast nurse about the zonta pillow and look at getting a v pillow - I always prop myself up on my arm too @Zoffiel. Thank you @kmakm for your very kind offer, I'll send you a PM. Sxx
  • Eastmum
    Eastmum Member Posts: 495
    Options
    Hi @Jameela - I hated sleeping on my back and after my double mastectomy into air expanders I had no choice but to do that. I have to be honest, it took me ages to find a comfortable way to sleep after I came home from hospital. Now, I'm really comfy and converted! I use three pillows - one big european pillow at the back, a memory foam pillow in the middle, and an old squishy pillow at the front. It makes me sleep quite propped up but I'm sleeping really well. You will find what's right for you - promise! xxx 
  • Jameela
    Options
    Thanks @Eastmum sounds like its just good ol’ trial and error. At least everyone here has given me some great tips to experiment with while I find what works for me. Thanks again everyone. xoxo
  • Fletch
    Fletch Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Hi @Jameela, thinking if you today.xxx Hope all goes well as it can for you. Sending hugs, love and light.xoxo
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    All the very best S, hope it all goes smoothly. K xox
  • KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Hi @Jameela, i hope your surgery went well today and that your feeling as well as can be expected. I had a double mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction in March 2017 so similar to your surgery. I had two drain tubes under each arm for 2 weeks after surgery so had to sleep on my back. Two tips I wanted to mention was a pair of headphones for talking on the phone and a lambs wool seatbelt cover that came from super cheap auto from memory that helped when travelling in the car. Best wishes, Kate
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    @Jameela I hope all went well today and your recovery goes smoothly
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Hope you're feeling okay.
  • Jameela
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts and best wishes. Op went well yesterday. Ive got a bit of pain and nausea but otherwise doing well. Been doing my exercises from the physio and done a couple of short walks.