Looking at my options

bakerrbakerr Member Posts: 23
Hi everyone, this is my first post, I was diagnosed last November, after I had noticed my nipple was inverting. If it hadn't been for that I would not have known anything was wrong as I had a clear mammogram  the previous Dec. Unfortunately It was HER2 positive, and then the Pet scan showed it was in the lympth system and something on the bone scan. I started Chemo, Hercepton and Perjeta 5 days before Christmas. I have now had 4 chemo treatments with 2  to go. On the 19th March I see the surgeon, I have heard I probably won't have enough clearance so will lose one breast, but was wondering whether its safer to have both off as its in the lympth system. I know that my surgeon will discuss this with me, so I am really divided about what to do.
Tagged:

Comments

  • MollygirlMollygirl Brisbane Member Posts: 213
    Hi @bakerr, talk to your surgeon firstly. I chose to do bilaterals as I was fearful of the other breast going rogue but also symmetry. If you have lymph involvement it doesn't make you more likely to get it again or in the other breast. A lot comes down to personal choice. Whilst I miss having breasts I would do the same again if I had my time over. Running without a bra, some small compensation !!!!!! Xx
  • EastmumEastmum SydneyMember Posts: 487
    HI @bakerr - first of all I wish you all the best for your treatment.
    I'm relatively new here too - I was actually diagnosed in January but I've delayed my surgery (with the blessing of my medical team) until April - booked in for double mastectomy 7 April. It's really such a personal decision whether you have the single or double and one that you need to discuss with your doctors. I've heard that some surgeons won't remove a healthy breast however if you are absolutely determined that you want to go that way you can push for it. I actually don't have a choice because they've found breast cancer on both sides. Keep in touch and let us know how you go - this forum is such an amazing support. 
  • ZoffielZoffiel Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 2,842
    Hi @bakerr ;
    That's a tough decision. I had both off and don't regret it. Others think differently, it's something that you need to nut out with your surgeon from a medical perspective then balance that information with what your gut tells you. Good luck. Mxx
  • bakerrbakerr Member Posts: 23
    Thank you all for your kind comments, I will let you know how I go with the surgeon. I feel more positive now about seeing the surgeon. As I am a DD running without a bra sounds fabulous lol xx
  • onemargieonemargie queenslandMember Posts: 1,240
    Hi there @bakerr I was diagnosed may 2016 Triple neg breast cancer.  Stage 2A grade 3 no lymph nodes and scans clear. I had the left boob off if I kept it I would of had to have chemo and radiation and I had a really strong gut feeling to take it off I then had 8 rounds of chemo then took the other boob off no regrets from me either. Definitely the best decision for me for sure too. Listen to your team but trust your guts too love and you will know what’s best for you.  Biggest hug. Margie. Xx
  • bakerrbakerr Member Posts: 23
    Hi girls,
    I am just giving you the update from my surgeon. I have now had 5 doses of chemo with one to go yeh! The Chemo has shrunk my tumour so much she now wants to do breast conserving surgery. She said it is unlikely to come back in the breast, and as its in 8 lymph glands if it comes back it would come back somewhere else. I would also have to have the lymph glands out . Apparently there are some new studies suggesting that with radiation you may not need to take out all the lymph glands under the arm, but this is not a confirmed fact. I am hoping I won't get lymphodemia. So good and bad news, I shall just have to hope the drugs, chemo and radiation kill the cancer, and trust my surgeon. xx
  • primekprimek Broken HillMember Posts: 5,134
    That's fabulous news. 
  • SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 4,363
    Excellent news!
Sign In or Register to comment.