Clean Eating

Options
Dragonlover
Dragonlover Member Posts: 34
edited November 2014 in Health and wellbeing
Hi, have just joined the group to find others that are like minded with eating good food. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in early October and have had removal of lump and 9 lymph nodes. Next step is chemo and radiation therapy. I had changed my way of eating at the beginning of the year - weaning myself off sugar and processed foods and had been feeling my best ever! I don't want to slip into bad eating habits again just because of everything going on and it's easier. I'm hoping someone might be able to give advice from their experiences going through these treatments and how it affected their diet? Will be interested to check out recipes on here and input some of my own.

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was a bit like you in that I had just spent a few months overhauling my diet and then worried about what effect treatment would have on my ability to stick with healthy options.

There were a few issues with chemo. First you are extremely tired so having the energy to prepare meals and shop can be tricky. I found that choosing easy to prepare meals like stir fries or preparing meals ahead of time helped with this.

Then there was the nausea and changed tastes to contend with. I would be a little lenient on myself during the few days after chemo (I had chemo once every 3 weeks) as I discovered that eating what I actually felt like helped with the nausea. It was different each time though, so my husband and daughter were a terrific help with emergency shopping trips for foods that I was craving! Then I would eat very healthy again for the 2 weeks before the next chemo.

Since finishing treatment almost a year ago I have continued to modify my diet to make it even more healthy. I have lost a little weight and with exercise I now feel better than before BC. Wishing you all the best for your treatment and I look forward to looking at your recipes too. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Dragonlover
    Dragonlover Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Deanne, this is what I need to hear. I'm hoping my change of eating habits and good health leading up to this might help me cope slightly better. I'm very angry that I have to poison my body so completely but your story helps me believe I can get back to where I was at the other end. Xx
  • MrsMort
    MrsMort Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies,

My good GF who is a Dr put me on a ketogenic diet as soon as we found out. That was about a month ago and I just started chemo this week.  I must admit I am struggling a little as I was always a bit of a meal skipper and my body refuses to allow that behaviour on this diet! The plan is to stick with this for the next five years and then maybe slip to paleo or something a little less strict after this.  I must say though I propbably look as good as I have!

Good luck ladies.

• MrsMort
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies,

My good GF who is a Dr put me on a ketogenic diet as soon as we found out. That was about a month ago and I just started chemo this week.  I must admit I am struggling a little as I was always a bit of a meal skipper and my body refuses to allow that behaviour on this diet! The plan is to stick with this for the next five years and then maybe slip to paleo or something a little less strict after this.  I must say though I propbably look as good as I have!

Good luck ladies.

• MrsMort
    edited March 2015
    Options

Super good luck DL.  My Oncologist is fine with me being ketogenic he just checked my list of suppliments and herbs and made one tiny change and that was it.  I think I've been incredibly lucky.

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Glad to read that you have checked with your oncologist Mrs Mort about your being on the ketogenic diet. We should all do this before making any major changes or taking any supplements while undergoing treatment. Also some people may have other health issues that could make a ketogenic diet not a good idea for them.

Well done in wanting to help yourselves by being as healthy as possible. Exercise is also very important and can help so much with side effects of treatment. Wishing you both all the best. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Glad to read that you have checked with your oncologist Mrs Mort about your being on the ketogenic diet. We should all do this before making any major changes or taking any supplements while undergoing treatment. Also some people may have other health issues that could make a ketogenic diet not a good idea for them.

Well done in wanting to help yourselves by being as healthy as possible. Exercise is also very important and can help so much with side effects of treatment. Wishing you both all the best. Deanne xxx