Healthier Christmas Treats

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited November 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi everyone,

Since my diagnosis, my daughter has introduced us to 'raw' foods. They are simple to make and full of healthy ingredients like nuts and fruit. With Christmas fast approaching finding healthy options can be hard so I thought I would share a couple of our recipes. The first one is my daughter's creation, the second from one of her favourite websites. The balls are a healthy and very yummy alternative to Rum Balls.

Coconut, Cranberry & Cashew Slice

1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup cranberries
1 cup cashews
3 tablespoons rice malt syrup (or maple syrup)
2 tablespoons cashew butter/spread (or any nut spread)
1 tablespoon coconut water

1. Process all ingredients until sticky.
2. Press into a tin (I used 20cm x 20cm square tin) and place in the freezer for an hour or so before slicing up and storing in the fridge.

Cacao Coconut Rough Balls

Recipe from: http://www.secretsquirrelfood.com

Makes about 20 balls.?

1 cup medjool dates?
1 cup desiccated coconut?
¼ cup cacao powder
?½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tbsp water?
? cup buckinis (substitute for any seeds/nuts)

1. Lightly toast desiccated coconut in a pan on low heat until lightly toasted and aromatic.
?2. Add all ingredients except for buckinis to a food processor and pulse until sticky when pressed between the fingers.?
3. Add buckinis and pulse a few times until mixed through. Be careful not to over pulse.
?4. Grab a tablespoon of mixture and roll into balls.
?5. Finally, roll the balls into desiccated coconut and place in an airtight container in the fridge.?
 These will keep for around 2 weeks in the fridge.

Deanne xxx

Comments

• fionaf
    fionaf Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Deanne and daughter - they read, look and sound delicious x

• fionaf
    fionaf Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Deanne and daughter - they read, look and sound delicious x

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am going to try both.Thankyou Deanne!!!xxRobyn
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Options

YUM! This is a great idea ahead of christmas! ~ I think Ill be trying my hand at making the Coconut, Cranberry & Cashew Slice this christmas. What else is on the christmas table this year?

For me, my mum is Italian so Christmas is always one course too many ~ but we try to keep it healthy, a pasta dish, lots of salad, a big traditional Turkey and then panatone, which is a fruit bread. I hear the christmas bells every time i think about it :-)

Jess x

• Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Options

YUM! This is a great idea ahead of christmas! ~ I think Ill be trying my hand at making the Coconut, Cranberry & Cashew Slice this christmas. What else is on the christmas table this year?

For me, my mum is Italian so Christmas is always one course too many ~ but we try to keep it healthy, a pasta dish, lots of salad, a big traditional Turkey and then panatone, which is a fruit bread. I hear the christmas bells every time i think about it :-)

Jess x

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I love Christmas, especially watching my little nieces opening their gifts. My extended family are fairly traditional English Christmas with food (hot lunch, plum pudding, etc). This year we are contributing a yummy turkey salad with delicious Qld mangoes, baby spinach, etc. We will be taking some of our alternative treats to share and my daughter will make something 'raw' for a dessert contribution too. It will be a mix of the traditional and some fresh alternatives for those who want to try something different with us. :)
  • jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015
    Options

Love the recipes Deanne...esp the cocao coconut balls!

Have you got a favourite healthy starter you could share?  I have to make entree type dish for a get together in two weeks and would love to make something healthy and delicious!

Big hug, Jen x

• jenpen
    edited March 2015
    Options

Love the recipes Deanne...esp the cocao coconut balls!

Have you got a favourite healthy starter you could share?  I have to make entree type dish for a get together in two weeks and would love to make something healthy and delicious!

Big hug, Jen x

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is not a 'raw' recipe but turkey mince is really low in fat so this is reasonably healthy. You just cook them in a muffin tray.

Mini Turkey and Mushroom Quiches

200g turkey mince

1 teaspoon olive oil

200 g mushrooms, sliced

1/4 cup sliced shallots

1/4 cup grated Tasty cheese

5 eggs and 3 egg whites

1 cup low-fat milk

Brown the mince in a non-stick pan and remove. Then add the oil to the pan and cook the mushrooms. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl with the mince. Allow to cool for 5 mins and then stir in the shallots and cheese and season with some pepper.

Whisk the eggs, egg whites and milk in a bowl. Divide the mixture evenly between greased muffin cups. Put a spoonful of the mince mixture into each cup. Bake in a moderate oven for 25 minutes.

You can use those foil muffin papers to make less work cleaning the tray and makes them look extra Christmasy too!

I wonder if anyone else has some ideas for a healthier Christmas?

:)

• jenpen
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Deanne! Recipe sounds delicious...and easy! Look forward to trying it out......Jen x