Checkups

Options
Robyn W
Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
edited October 2014 in Health and wellbeing
I was just wondering if anyone on the blog,when they go for their oncology checkups,or with their surgeons,are given blood tests,or any other sort of test,or is it just the standard look at the scar line,listen to the chest,and ask how you have been feeling?Up until now,I have thought that these things are probably enough,along with us keeping a close eye out for any changes that we notice.

However,I have been thinking,that I might get a full blood test done,by my GP,as a lot can be seen on a blood test.

Does anyone else do anything like this?

I don't mean looking for cancer,but more along the lines of looking for other problems that can occur,especially when you are on Tamoxifen or one of the other drugs.

Hope everyone is doing ok.Cheers xoxRobyn

Comments

• JodieWall
    JodieWall Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Robyn. I'm having bloods done in February. It's more just to check my full blood count etc.
    Jodie xx
  • JodieWall
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Robyn. I'm having bloods done in February. It's more just to check my full blood count etc.
    Jodie xx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Did your oncologist suggest this,or are you just doing it yourself? I am thinking to do it soon.Just to check things like liver function ,and other things that could be affected through tamoxifen use.Robyn xxx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

My surgeon checkup is now yearly and she is just interested in feeling the  scarline,other breast,under the arms,liver area and listens to my lungs.She'll write scripts if needed and order xrays if I have any new pains.My yearly oncologist appointment is really just to review the Tamoxifen and he doesn't believe in doing scans or looking for trouble as he puts it.I get my GP to order routine blood tests(yearly) for me before I go to the surgeon and oncologist. These consist of a full blood count,liver function,kidney function,blood sugar, cholesterol,vit D,and sometimes tumour markers.I"ve also had pelvic ultrasounds as well and I really think this test should be done whilst on Tamoxifen.I think these anti hormone drugs are given out with abit of a layback attitude -don't want to frighten us with too much info incase we won't take the drugs.When you weigh up the risk of the side effects next to breast cancer again,well ofcourse you'll take them.But at the same time,I think we should be monitored with yearly tests because after a few years,other side effects (besides hot flushes) could begin to emerge that we not know about.It's better to find out early and address the problem before it's a big one. Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

My surgeon checkup is now yearly and she is just interested in feeling the  scarline,other breast,under the arms,liver area and listens to my lungs.She'll write scripts if needed and order xrays if I have any new pains.My yearly oncologist appointment is really just to review the Tamoxifen and he doesn't believe in doing scans or looking for trouble as he puts it.I get my GP to order routine blood tests(yearly) for me before I go to the surgeon and oncologist. These consist of a full blood count,liver function,kidney function,blood sugar, cholesterol,vit D,and sometimes tumour markers.I"ve also had pelvic ultrasounds as well and I really think this test should be done whilst on Tamoxifen.I think these anti hormone drugs are given out with abit of a layback attitude -don't want to frighten us with too much info incase we won't take the drugs.When you weigh up the risk of the side effects next to breast cancer again,well ofcourse you'll take them.But at the same time,I think we should be monitored with yearly tests because after a few years,other side effects (besides hot flushes) could begin to emerge that we not know about.It's better to find out early and address the problem before it's a big one. Tonya xx

• JodieWall
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Robyn ,

She suggested it a few months ago. She just said here is the form to have it done for my next 6 month appointment (which is in feb)

Xx
  • margiemoo
    margiemoo Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015
    Options

Last time I saw my oncologist she ordered a full blood work up again to see how my bloods are going as I must be low in vitamin D and my sugars were really high (GP looking after the sugars). I see her in  a couple of weeks for the results. I think this was done only due to my bloods not being completely normal though. 

Hoping my vitamin D is better as I just got back from my cruise! it probably did not help the sugars though lol

keep well

Marg xx

• Jane221
    Jane221 Member Posts: 1,195
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn,

I'm seeing my oncologist in February (3rd year after diagnosis) and in addition to the physical exam she has requested Full Blood Exam, cancer marker test, Calcium and Vitamin D levels. I am also having a bone density scan as I have osteopenia (right hip) and am currently on Tamoxifen but she is possibly considering moving me on to Arimidex or similar (not sure that I'm keen tho'). I'm also having annual thyroid checks (blood & ultrasound) through my GP as this was a potential issue that showed up in my first scans after the initial diagnosis - so far so good...

Hope this helps. Take care. Jane   

• Luminarylucy
    Luminarylucy Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can anyone tell me more about tumour marker/ cancer marker tests? Are they blood tests?

Tonya, your doctor sometimes orders this test. Do you know why it's only sometimes?

I'm a while away from the check-up process but am wondering already. Good topic to raise thanks Robyn.
  • Luminarylucy
    Luminarylucy Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can anyone tell me more about tumour marker/ cancer marker tests? Are they blood tests?

Tonya, your doctor sometimes orders this test. Do you know why it's only sometimes?

I'm a while away from the check-up process but am wondering already. Good topic to raise thanks Robyn.
  • paulag
    paulag Member Posts: 98
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Robyn,

I have full bloods done yearly, with my GP. Just for a general well being, I think xx