Fitness Ideas

Options
Amanda61
Amanda61 Member Posts: 23
edited December 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi all,

I have just joined this online group but I am also a member of the breast reconstruction group.

Good news is that after 6 months post surgery  - 2nd and hopefully last - (I had a single mastectomy and DEIP reconstruction) I am keeping fit and healthy (but some pain still on tummy site where fat removed). Fortunately all cancer gone and my only treatment is Tamoxifen (no chemo or radiation) YEAH (right breast checked and no cancer either).

Bad news is that after 2 years I am still unemployed (had to close my psychology business down when first got sick with other issues) which is very stressful as the bills are mounting! However on the bright side I have lots of time to keep active and connect with others effected by cancer which has been wonderful. What an amazing bunch of women we are!!

So, from day 1, I have kept fit by walking my dog every day, hiking with my partner who is in the Melbourne walking Group and I in June joined 'The living centre" in Melbourne so I could attend once a week classes in yoga / Pilates/ Tai Chi.  I recently began personal training with a Physio from "domain health" in Elwood twice a week. Also just started the 8 week session "YMCA Encore" program which is so far excellent. I am trying out the DAM busters - dragon boat racing - lots of fun people and the ' workout' is really good.

So while I dispair about how to pay my bills, the BC journey (which caused more time off) has been great in some ways such as being a member of lots of support groups, participated in some modelling and applied to do some voluntary work.

BC stuffed my life up abit but I've also met some amazing people and done great things that I never thought I would do. At least I have the opportunity to do all these things (free) and am I grateful to have the time to dedicate to keeping active!  

But I do worry that when / if i get a job how will I maintain it? As we all know one of the side effects of BC treatment is tideness!

Looking forward to swapping ideas.

Cheers,
Amanda

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you are keeping very active while waiting/looking for work. My priorities have certainly changed since my diagnosis nearly 18 months ago. It is nearly 12 months since I finished active treatment (i'm on tamoxifen too)and it has certainly been a process to overcome side effects and regain my energy and fitness.

I'm a morning person, so fitting my exercise into a busy day means rising early and walking (and swimming 3 days a week) before breakfast. I then find that even though I am often very tired at the end of the day another walk in the evening (finishing with some pilates and yoga) gives me the energy to cook a healthy dinner.

Weekends I try to also fit in some different active leisure activities like bush walking, paddle boarding, kayaking etc.

I enjoy everything I do and this means that I want to do it and somehow always find the time to do it. I used to think exercise was just something else I HAD to do and would often think that I was too busy or too tired to fit it in. The smallest excuse and exercise was the thing I would sacrifice in order to do everything else. I think so differently now and it is never a bother to fit it into my day. I can't imagine this changing as I feel so good because of keeping active.

I think it is just a matter of keeping your health and well being the number one priority. I no longer feel guilty for my exercise time out because I know just how important it really is. Good luck with finding work and I hope that you find time for everything that is important for you too. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you are keeping very active while waiting/looking for work. My priorities have certainly changed since my diagnosis nearly 18 months ago. It is nearly 12 months since I finished active treatment (i'm on tamoxifen too)and it has certainly been a process to overcome side effects and regain my energy and fitness.

I'm a morning person, so fitting my exercise into a busy day means rising early and walking (and swimming 3 days a week) before breakfast. I then find that even though I am often very tired at the end of the day another walk in the evening (finishing with some pilates and yoga) gives me the energy to cook a healthy dinner.

Weekends I try to also fit in some different active leisure activities like bush walking, paddle boarding, kayaking etc.

I enjoy everything I do and this means that I want to do it and somehow always find the time to do it. I used to think exercise was just something else I HAD to do and would often think that I was too busy or too tired to fit it in. The smallest excuse and exercise was the thing I would sacrifice in order to do everything else. I think so differently now and it is never a bother to fit it into my day. I can't imagine this changing as I feel so good because of keeping active.

I think it is just a matter of keeping your health and well being the number one priority. I no longer feel guilty for my exercise time out because I know just how important it really is. Good luck with finding work and I hope that you find time for everything that is important for you too. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You sound as though you are doing very well.I am 10 months past treatment,and I am on Tamoxifen.I am also having denosumab injections for advanced osteoporosis.If it wasn't for BC I wouldn't have found out about my osteo.Funny how things work out sometimes isn't it? I agree with Deanne on this discussion.We have to be healthy,to give ourselves the best chance at kicking this forever!!! To be healthy,we HAVE to enjoy what we do,otherwise the novelty will wear off really quickly.When you get work,you can still find time to fit in your exercise.Maybe you won't be able to do as much,but choosing just one thing( walking) and doing it every day,is just fine.I live in inner west Sydney,and I see so many people jogging or walking past my place very early in the morning.Probably before they go to work for the day.As we were told in our exercise classes after chemo,exercise helps tiredness,it doesn't create it.Exercise also helps us feel better mentally.Keep,up the good work,and stay in touch on here.Posts like yours are so helpful to the ladies that are just starting to get into exercise.Cheers xoxRobyn
  • Amanda61
    Amanda61 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone I appreciate your comments. Yes keeping fit is so important for health and well being and some how we have to get the message across to those less active than others. I am surprised at how many women I've met recently didn't even know about water aerobics! But also I wish fitness and health had been emphasised more before surgery - it aids recovery so much more. And the social networking is also an important aspect.

All the best to you too
    Cheers
    Amanda