Young Families with Breast Cancer

Options
NarelleD
NarelleD Member Posts: 57
edited October 2014 in General discussion

Hi All,

I am in the process of establishing a new support group in the Frankston area called "Young Families with Breast Cancer".  At the moment I have established the Facebook group which is running nicely with people joining from all around Melbourne and Australia.  I am also trying to establish face-to-face support group sessions in Frankston and surrounding suburbs on the 2nd Sunday of the month.

This group is for those who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and have children 10 yrs old or younger. We recognise families are complex these days so when we refer to to children we are refering to both your biological children and stepchildre.  We also recognise that some grandparents have their grandchildren living with them, you are also welcome to join this group.

We acknowledge that families with children of this age it is far more complex when it comes to attending appointments / receiving treatment as the children are too young to stay home by themselves. We are also aware that it is not always appropriate to take them with us.

The aim of this support group is to enable breast cancer patients to feel supported, give the children other children to play with whose parents are going through similar treatments, medicines, etc. The long term aim of this group is to provide opportunities to help each other out.

We also welcome young ladies who are wanting to start a family to join the group.

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What a great idea Narelle! I don't think there can ever be too many groups like this,and like you say,every age group has its own particular issues to navigate,such as the problems you point out.All the best with getting your group up and running.Stay in touch.Robynxox
  • NarelleD
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Robyn.

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

The ladies told me that you had started a new group, well done. I am sure there is a big need for this kind of support.

Donna

• NarelleD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Donna. I hope to keep in touch with the groups I've already attended but personally need to also meet others that are my age.
  • NarelleD
    edited March 2015
    Options

We are on Facebook just search for Young Families with Breast Cancer.  Our next meet up is organised for 12noon on Sunday 9th November at Ballam Park, Cranbourne Road, Frankston (near Karingal Hub Shopping Centre).  Feel free to come along.  BYO Picnic or BBQ.

• Graceda
    Graceda Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well done Narelle on getting your group up and running, your group is a great support to young women. It's great to hear your group is getting together in person, we would love to register your group as a face to face support group. I will send you some information about registering your group via emai.

• NarelleD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Grace, this is the group I was telling you about the other week when I rang you