A Question re Exercise

Options
simonec
simonec Member Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi to all the lovely members of the 'Get active and keep well' group. 

My name is Simone, and I am new to the group. I have added my photo and story to My Profile, as a way of introduction. I am also new to joining the network, so am hoping this is the right way to go about this!

I am due to have a bilateral mastectomy next week, and wanted to find out what experiences anyone may have had with restarting exercise after the surgery. I have had three previous rounds of surgery this year (a duct excision and two partial mastectomies), but understand a bilateral mastectomy is another thing altogether, so am not sure how long I'll be out of action as far as exercising goes. After the two partial mastectomies I could still go to the gym but limited myself to lower-body workouts. I have a herniated disk in my back, so this really helped. I am a regular gym-goer, and was asked last week if I wanted to suspend my membership after the surgery? I told them I didn't know how I was going to feel, but hope to be able to get back into it, at least in a reduced capacity, soon after my surgery. 

If anybody is able to share their experience of returning to exercise after surgery, it would be much appreciated. 

Best Wishes

Simone 

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the online network.I didn't have a bilateral,so I will leave this to the ladies that did.I just wanted to let you know,that the blog is often a bit quiet on the weekend,but I am sure that if you wait a couple of days,you will get many replies.You really have come to the right place for advice and support.Take care.Robyn.xox
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the online network.I didn't have a bilateral,so I will leave this to the ladies that did.I just wanted to let you know,that the blog is often a bit quiet on the weekend,but I am sure that if you wait a couple of days,you will get many replies.You really have come to the right place for advice and support.Take care.Robyn.xox
  • simonec
    simonec Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for your message - it is good to know my blog was sent correctly!

It's nice to connect with ladies who've had a similar experience...

Best wishes

Simone x

• Lorraine Steele
    Lorraine Steele Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

I joined this group a couple of weeks ago after being diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, which they tell me now is wrong, I definately have Inflammatory Breast Cancer in my left breast and my lymph nodes. I am starting chemo on 21st Oct., for 3 hours every 3 weeks. I am having a very hard time accepting all this. I live alone after my partner of 33 years passed away 29/1/2013 with eosophagus cancer. I also lost my only sister 1 month after him. She had lots of problems and ended up with liver cancer too.

Cancer has had a terrible impact on my life, 7 out of 8 in my family have had some kind of cancer. In my 1st marriage I lost my little son David with Neuroblastoma at 2 1/2 years old. 

I really am asking anyone who has this cancer and is HER2 positive to write to me. I see so many young ladies here, and that is very sad for me. I have just turned 73 in Sept.,

I just need to meet ladies going through all this, my 3 daughters all work and will help me as much as they can, but they have families,mortgages etc.,

Thank you,

Lorraine Steele

• jeanbates
    jeanbates Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lorraine,

I have Inflammatory Breast Cancer also. I was dx Sept 2013. I've had the Chemo, Surgery (left breast mx) and Radiotherapy, still doing Herceptin because I am HER2 + , taking Fermara for 10years. I am sorry to hear about your experiences re cancer. I dont believe IBC is genetic, they are not sure why people get this form of BC. If you want to ask any questions please feel free to do so. I live in North East Victoria and havent met anyone face to face with IBC yet. Kind regards Jean

• Lorraine Steele
    Lorraine Steele Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello Jean,

Lovely to meet you, but wish it was different circumstances. I am waiting now on community transport to take me for my 1st chemo. I am petrified, as I watched my dear husband Keith go all through this 2 1/2 years ago at the same clinic, He passed away 29th January, 2013, I still am grieving for him as he was the love of my life, Now I have this devastating news for myself. I would like to keep in touch if that is OK, I am 73 and I live in Sydney, actually St Clair which is close to Penrith.

Must go now, but will write after my first session I hope I won't be too sick. I know Keith was very sick.

Kind Regards

Lorraine Steele

• Sun shiny day
    Sun shiny day Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Simone. I imagine you have had your mastectomies in the last couple of days. I hope you are recovering well. Did you have immediate reconstruction? it's probably best to ask your surgeon about exercising. Were you given any exercise info by the physios? I had expanders inserted at the time of bilateral mastectomies so can tell you my story if that's relevant for you. I would stress that you not drive for a couple of weeks and don't lift much weight. Look after yourself.