Hello

Options
Janet A
Janet A Member Posts: 281
edited October 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hi everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself to this group. I love keeping fit and active so I thought this is a good place to start.

I'm a total newbie so excuse me while I fill you in. I guess there are no pre requisites to this gig. I believe in keeping an open dialogue as I live in a fairly remote location of Sarina in North Queensland. 

I have a invasive lobular carcinoma stage 2 i detected this and acted on it. Due for op on the 15th of this month. I am so impressed with the support from all concerned I feel I am in good hands. I am not thinking too much into the future and feel that all will be well.

Cheers,
Janet

Comments

• Janet A
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sezzy,

I'm not very coordinated when it comes to team sports so i walk a lot and found a unpretentious gym to do bodyflow and a weight circuit, its fantastic. I feel so energised after a session that all self consciousness goes out the window, everyone feels the same. I let my instructor know whats happening, shes been great. The benefits out weigh your reservations!

• Gin
    Gin Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi all.
    I've never blogged before but thought I'd give it a go. During my treatment I tried to keep up my exercise regime but struggled to get moving on some days. It's been 12 months now since I finished my treatment and I've found that doing yoga and getting out in the fresh air is great for your moral and makes you feel energised. I've just started on a healthy eating plan, so hopefully might be able to lose those kilos I put on when going through all the treatment. I've also started jogging and plan to do the triathlon pink in January next year.
    Happy training
    Gin
  • Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Gin! Just a big welcome to the group!

Taking a walk in the fresh air and doing yoga is a great way to keep yourself active and well. I have always loved yoga and feel great after every session too.  How are you going with your jogging?

Jess xx

• Janet A
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Steph for those links, I will no doubt be reading up on it. I'm going in on Wednesday for a lumpectomy, I think the waiting is the hardest to find out the results a week later. Advice so far is to take a day at a time from two friends who have gone through this, good advice I say.

I am leaving the gym alone for a week, i am keen to keep things as normal as possible.

Cheers Janet

• LEOKH
    LEOKH Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Gin,  Ive just started blogging myself!  Like you I did yoga thru treatment as I was quite active and fit before - Ive been having green smoothies everyday and kept up as much exercise as possible now 18 months on im considering reconstruction - best wishes with your training for pink triathlon! Karen

• Janet A
    edited March 2015
    Options

Its 3am, feeling a little sore from my lumpectomy from yesterday, having a cup of tea before trying for some more sleep. I was told by a breast care nurse not to exercise for a few months after i said i wanted to try to go back to the gym in a couple of weeks. I am already fit and figure its better to try for some exercise than none? How is everyone else's experience on this? 

Do you feel so bad that you don't feel like exercising? I have always enjoyed walking, pilates and weight circuit and i can't imagine not doing it. I don't enjoy the negative comments from people claiming to be trained in breast care. 

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janet, I hope you managed to get back to sleep after your hot cuppa last night. I thought I would just flag with you two resources that might help you along following your recent surgery.

• The Excercise and breast cancer booklet has some great tips
    • In the My Care Kit (bra pack) that you received after your surgery there would have been a DVD 'Strengthen your recovery' it's an aid in strengthening your recovery in a gentle way and from the comfort of your own home and at your own pace :-)
  • Janet A
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Daina for the link. I'm lucky that the instructor at the gym is quite knowledgable on these matters who will guide me back into exercise at my pace and what is good for me. I am lucky i am fit as it seems to me is beneficial in the treatment ahead than if i wasn't. 

• Steph Fletcher
    Steph Fletcher Member Posts: 109
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janet, it sounds as though you have good support from your instructor which is fantastic. Support people play such an important role in your physical and emotional recovery from treatment. Please continue to lock into this group and share any questions or concerns you may have - rest up and look after yourself X Steph.