Halfway through chemo

Options
Luminarylucy
Luminarylucy Member Posts: 24
edited September 2014 in Health and wellbeing
I'm halfway through chemo. I've done 4 rounds of AC.
It was such a roller coaster. I had such highs but the lows were so so low. Now the highs are fewer and the lows last longer.

I start taxol next with 12 weeks of it. I'm anxious about it after the trip with the AC. I know once I start it I'll be on the downhill run but still a few months seems a really long time at the moment.

I had really bad gastritis & gastric reflux. I'm on nexium indefinitely and will have a gastroscopy after the chemo is over. It's from the steroids - which I've had 4 times and will next have 12 times. It's one of the things worrying me.

My hair has stopped falling out. Actually it is rapidly growing back. My husband had a shock with how much had grown from today since Monday. It's abt 1.5cm long along its patchy. Has anyone else had their hair starting to grow back? However my eyebrows & eyelashes are slowly thinning.

It's funny how I am affected by the weather and time of day. I wake up feeling so happy on sunny days, slow and sluggish on overcast/rainy days. I feel well at the moment so have gone swimming in the surf for 2 days. It is so therapeutic and I feel happy again. I miss being able to go bodyboarding every weekend.

Then night comes and I cry. I used to have terrible anxiety attacks and couldn't sleep. The doctor has put me on a sedative for nights.

But this weekend I swam with my friend and we watched the whales playing out in the ocean. I need to stop wallowing and be grateful that I live where I do and can enjoy such lovely experiences.

Comments

• Liztay82
    Liztay82 Member Posts: 213
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello I have one taxol left which is Wednesday I had the same as u 4 ac then 12 taxol I also on heception aswell. With both lots I've had no sickness or anything with taxol they give u a drug to make u very sleepy enjoy the sleep I do umm ure finger nails will start going yuck with taxol aswell the chemo nurses just said to me to cut them short I've lost my eye brows n lashes but my hair is returning very fast yay u can do this good luck with the rest u are nearly there
  • Silks
    Silks Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Taxol. I find it easier to face when I'm informed. Are you having a further 9 mths Herceptin? Would you be kind enough to stay in touch with us on your journey?
    Thank you
    xx Silke
  • Silks
    Silks Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the heads-up on the Taxol. I find it easier to face when I'm informed. Are you having a further 9 mths Herceptin? Would you be kind enough to stay in touch with us on your journey?
    Thank you
    xx Silke
  • Liztay82
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey yes I got till June next yr with herception I also found aswell with taxol I got a rash on my hands nothing to serious but u may get that aswell but so far I have had no issues with taxol but I will keep in touch
  • Liztay82
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey yes I got till June next yr with herception I also found aswell with taxol I got a rash on my hands nothing to serious but u may get that aswell but so far I have had no issues with taxol but I will keep in touch
  • Luminarylucy
    Luminarylucy Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks to you lovely kind women. I was a bit low when I posted this. My boys are competitive swimmers and for the first time I couldn't be there for a swim meet. It makes me feel isolated when I can't do the things I used to do.

Thanks Silke and Hazel for your encouragement and support. I didn't know other people we're experiencing anxiety too. It's not talked about as much as nausea and hair loss. But you won't find me on here in the middle of the night, the dr put me on Ativan every night and I sleep really well. I've tried not taking it but the bad thoughts seem to come at night or I have nightmares.

Thanks Liz for the info about Taxol. I'm glad you got through without being sick. I'm hoping I won't be as sick on it. I had heard about the finger nail problem. It's weird that at the moment my hair (the stuff I have left) and finger nails are growing so fast.

Thanks for listening to me carrying on. I've had a lovely day swimming and a catch up with old friends. Trying to be positive again. But thank you for being here to listen. I wish all of you the very best with your journey.
  • Liztay82
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also ladies I forgo to add u may experience blood nose so when u blow ure nose there will be blood another side effect