Help with healthy food issues

Options
Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
edited September 2014 in Health and wellbeing
The latest obstacle for myself (and my family) is one that I didn't think would ever be a problem. I have been determined to recover my health to the best of my ability after treatment for Stage 3 breast cancer last year (surgery, chemo, radio and now tamoxifen) and healthy food choices have been a big part of this.

Like a lot of people I generally tried to be fairly health conscious before my diagnosis but have become a lot more dedicated to this post diagnosis. With my eldest daughter's help we have transformed our pantry and our cooking and eating habits. I have lost weight and am maintaining this easily with our healthy choices. I feel so much better for it and a lot of people comment on how well the whole family look. So it should be all good.

We don't eat out (or have take-away) a lot and I have found that in general there are healthy choices I can make in these situations. The biggest problem is when we are invited for a meal to someone's home. At first I just ate whatever was offered and tried to think it does not matter for one occasion but after feeling nauseous from the different and now so unfamiliar dishes (my body just can't cope with certain things anymore) I am now rethinking this reasoning.

I have tried to get around this by offering to bring a contribution to the meal and sometimes this works well. But sometimes this is resisted and it becomes a problem blown out of all proportion. It gets tricky with trying not to sound as though you are judging their food/cooking as unhealthy. I have even thought that maybe I should just say we are vegetarian and offer to bring a vegetarian dish so as not to be a problem but this does not work with people who know us too well! My latest idea is to put it down to medication (which is not completely untrue as spicy food definitely increases the hot flushes). Who would have thought that an invitation to dinner could ever become such a minefield! Does anyone have any bright ideas so I can not offend friends and family but stick to eating the foods (mostly organic, sugar free and unprocessed) I am comfortable with?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Deanne xxx

Comments

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Deanne, Did you see our new Health eating and breast cancer booklet?  Actually, I have this funny feeling you might have helped in the development.....am I correct there? Either way, if you haven't seen it you can find more information on the Healthy eating page of our website - http://www.bcna.org.au/living-breast-cancer/physical-wellbeing/healthy-eating

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

It's me again! I'm on a roll this arvo!! Are you a member of the 'Recipes you can taste' online group? Maybe when you do come up with some healthy recipe options you can share them in the online group. You can find it here - http://www.bcna.org.au/group/48064

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the links Daina. The new booklet looks like a great resource. My oncologist gave me the exercise booklet which I found very helpful. I am sure the Healthy Eating one will help lots of people too. Yes I am a member of the recipe group. I must get around to putting up some of my favourite recipes. It's been a long process for me to refine my cooking and eating but I'm really happy with my progress. xxx
  • Steph Fletcher
    Steph Fletcher Member Posts: 109
    edited March 2015
    Options

Loved reading your post! The changes you have made to your lifestyle should be celebrated! It was also inspiring to hear the impact your focus on healthy eating has had on your family. Sounds similar to my experience growing up. Dad was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and we as a family adopted a balanced, low fat, low GI healthy eating plan.

I really liked Chris' suggestion around having an open conversation if you can. I wouldn't worry about offending anyone, I know Dad has had to be uncompromising with what he is able to eat. His body can't process certain things, and it sounds as though you might be in a similar position.

When I cook for Dad, I really enjoy trying out new recipes. I recently tried out this Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse recipe from Nutrition Stripped. If your hosts are open to it, perhaps you could try a new healthy recipe each time you catch up...Wholefoods Masterchef! Love a little bit of healthy competition! X Steph

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can I butt in on your post Deanne? I just took a look at Nutrition Stripped.What a wonderful website! I will definitely be trying some of these recipes.Perhaps you could make a healthy recipe,take it along when you go to someone's home,and even print out copies of the recipe on little cards and hand them out if people like what you bring!! Cheers Robynxox
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes I am so proud of the changes we have all made, especially my eldest daughter who really got me motivated and helped so much when I was still very fatigued after treatment.

I don't quite know what the real issue is for some people. At least one of them is also someone who withdrew from us while I was undergoing treatment. I think they still have a problem acknowledging anything to do with my breast cancer. They think that everything should just be back to normal including what we eat. It sounds ridiculous but they just won't have an open conversation and they do not want to know anything about the changes we have made. Unfortunately they also like to be the hosts for every occasion. But with the support of the majority of family and friends we will just bring along our contributions in future. They will just have to deal with it. Life is a bit different for us now but we have found so many yummy but healthy options it is a shame they cannot be open to exploring them with us.

I love the avocado mousse too. We also make 'brownies' from sweet potato, avocado and cacao powder. Delicious! Healthy eating definitely does not have to be boring or tasteless!
    Deanne xxx

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes I am so proud of the changes we have all made, especially my eldest daughter who really got me motivated and helped so much when I was still very fatigued after treatment.

I don't quite know what the real issue is for some people. At least one of them is also someone who withdrew from us while I was undergoing treatment. I think they still have a problem acknowledging anything to do with my breast cancer. They think that everything should just be back to normal including what we eat. It sounds ridiculous but they just won't have an open conversation and they do not want to know anything about the changes we have made. Unfortunately they also like to be the hosts for every occasion. But with the support of the majority of family and friends we will just bring along our contributions in future. They will just have to deal with it. Life is a bit different for us now but we have found so many yummy but healthy options it is a shame they cannot be open to exploring them with us.

I love the avocado mousse too. We also make 'brownies' from sweet potato, avocado and cacao powder. Delicious! Healthy eating definitely does not have to be boring or tasteless!
    Deanne xxx

• Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is a tricky one, I suppose in this situation it is best just to accept where people are at. And as you have said, the friends that have struggled with the changes to your lifestyle are the minority. If you offer solutions (by contributing dishes, recipe ideas) perhaps this will minimise things being blown out of proportion.

Maybe they will relax into it over time, maybe they won't - but I agree you should be so proud and stay true to what is important to you!

Not sure if you have come acrossThe My New Roots website? Robyn I have a feeling you will love this one also, I have subscribed to the e-newsletter it is brilliant!

X Steph

• Christine52
    Christine52 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for sharing the 'Nutrition Stripped' website Steph!  What a long list of amazing sounding recipes it has, and with ingredients that tie in with what I've been reading about as good anti-cancer foods.  Can't wait to try some:)

• Christine52
    Christine52 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, another amazing website which I looked at after posting my previous comment.  So many great wholefood recipes to try:)  Thanks Steph.

• Steph Fletcher
    edited March 2015
    Options

Glad to hear you like these links - I love hunting for new recipe ideas. I'm not sure if you're aware of our Active and Well After Breast Cancer series of e-newsletters?  We feature recipes, websites and apps that can support you on your journey to improved health and wellbeing. You can find them here. We are in the process of developing the issue as we speak! Happy days :) Steph