Final day of radiotherapy

Options
rivergum
rivergum Member Posts: 133
edited September 2014 in Health and wellbeing

28 days of radiotherapy to left breast and superclavicular node completed today. Hooray. So far so good. Grey skin under the arm suggests it's at risk of breaking down, but so far so good. A lovely nurse has sent me off with a bag of creams, gel and dressings to help with the next seven days as the radiotherapy treatment continues to develop.  I can hardly say how happy I've been with the radiotherapists and staff at the Ballarat Regional Integrated Cancer Centre. They've been lovely, supportive, good natured and full of humour. 

I'm planning to celebrate the end of day after day of appointments by visiting my mum who is in a nursing home 5 1/2 hours away. She hasn't seen me since before my diagnosis last October. We've been on the phone though. Ten months of chemo, another surgery and radio all done. Woot!

Went back to BRICC's wellness centre for a half hour of meditation at lunch today. The wellness centre is such a fabulous idea and cancer survivors can continue to return to take advantage of programs such as yoga, massage, art therapy. A great resource for Ballarat and surrounds.

I don't think I would be feeling quite so chipper if it weren't for the social support I've taken advantage of over the last year. My McGrath Foundation breast care nurse, Fiona, joining the BCNA forums, a local support group the Pink Phoenix gals who took me away for a weekend of laughs and relaxation and all the chemo and radio buddies I've nattered to along the way. Couldn't have done it without you all and many of the special, incredibly generous posters on this site.

Cheers

Meg

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is so nice to hear from you.I remember your post with the snow!!It certainly sounds as though you have been well supported throughout your treatment.It makes such a difference if we have wonderful people around us doesn't it?Congratulations on getting through all your treatments.Please stay in touch,as there are always new ladies that need encouragement and positive stories such as yours.CheersxoxRobyn
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is so nice to hear from you.I remember your post with the snow!!It certainly sounds as though you have been well supported throughout your treatment.It makes such a difference if we have wonderful people around us doesn't it?Congratulations on getting through all your treatments.Please stay in touch,as there are always new ladies that need encouragement and positive stories such as yours.CheersxoxRobyn
  • Robyn W
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • rivergum
    rivergum Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And you are one of those incredibly generous supportive posters we have all benefited from! Cheers!!
  • Silks
    Silks Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Meg
    Congratulations on getting through your treatments. I remembered you immediately. You were one of the ladies who supported me when I first came on the scene and you gave me the advice to use Tegaderm. It worked a treat, thank you. Am I correct in thinking you had an expander(s) placed? Just wondering whether that was ever in jeopardy from the radiation? I have an expander and have yet to decide whether to go down the radiation track after chemo.
    I hope you stay in touch. I can vouch for how much of a difference it made for me to have those responses on my first blog. It was so comforting and I remember not feeling so alone anymore.
    Enjoy your visit and hugs with your Mum. Mine is in a nursing home in Adelaide and I recently flew over and visited her (in my good chemo week). It was very special.
    Take care
    xx Silke
  • Silks
    Silks Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Meg
    Congratulations on getting through your treatments. I remembered you immediately. You were one of the ladies who supported me when I first came on the scene and you gave me the advice to use Tegaderm. It worked a treat, thank you. Am I correct in thinking you had an expander(s) placed? Just wondering whether that was ever in jeopardy from the radiation? I have an expander and have yet to decide whether to go down the radiation track after chemo.
    I hope you stay in touch. I can vouch for how much of a difference it made for me to have those responses on my first blog. It was so comforting and I remember not feeling so alone anymore.
    Enjoy your visit and hugs with your Mum. Mine is in a nursing home in Adelaide and I recently flew over and visited her (in my good chemo week). It was very special.
    Take care
    xx Silke