Helena

Options
Helena1
Helena1 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2011 in Day to day

My first 'BLOG'..Recently had a mastectomy, begin CHEMO on Thursday..feeling very nervous, but in good spirits! xx

Comments

• Loretta d
    Loretta d Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helena, we are in the same boat as I had a right mastectomy 6 weeks ago & also start chemo on Thursday. I too am feeling nervous!! Great to hear that you are in good spirits. . .I think that helps when you are going through all of this.

Will be thinking of you on Thurs.

Best wishes.     Loretta xx

• Loretta d
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helena, we are in the same boat as I had a right mastectomy 6 weeks ago & also start chemo on Thursday. I too am feeling nervous!! Great to hear that you are in good spirits. . .I think that helps when you are going through all of this.

Will be thinking of you on Thurs.

Best wishes.     Loretta xx

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helena,

I just wanted to say welcome to the online network and good on you for having a go at blogging -- it's fun once you get used to it. There is no right or wrong way to go about it, but if you need a hand finding your way around, just shout. You might also find the 'Help' section of the site useful also.

See: http://www.bcna.org.au/help

Good luck next Thursday and as you can already see there are women you can connect with that are going through similar experiences to you.

Daina

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helena,

I just wanted to say welcome to the online network and good on you for having a go at blogging -- it's fun once you get used to it. There is no right or wrong way to go about it, but if you need a hand finding your way around, just shout. You might also find the 'Help' section of the site useful also.

See: http://www.bcna.org.au/help

Good luck next Thursday and as you can already see there are women you can connect with that are going through similar experiences to you.

Daina

• Helena1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Loretta.  I know we would rather not be in this situation, but life throws us in strange situations, and I suppose we have to try and be positive and tackle it the best way possible..what a great site this is, knowing we can all supoort each other and we are all in this TOGETHER!

• Helena1
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's great thinking re:  chemo to get rid of the nasties..It has made me think a bit tougher...THANK YOU xx

• Helena1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Absolutely Daina!  Great site to connect with people that are going through this experience and totally understand xx

• MandaMoo
    MandaMoo Member Posts: 500
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helena

I will be a few weeks behind you with the chemo (I'm due to start on the 29th - I had my mastectomy a week and a half ago) - I too wish we weren't here but agree that being positive with people going through similar experiences has got to be a good thing!

What sort of treatment are you having?

Amanda 

• Loretta d
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes this is certainly is a great site & we all share a special bond. As we are having our treatment at the same time we can be chemo buddies. it will be good to compare notes & suport each other through this journey that has been thrust upon us. I am having 3 x FEC followed by 3 x docetaxel.

Loretta xx

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Girls

I had my chemo in 2007 and remember thinking of it as liquid gold running through my veins like a little pac man eating all the nasties.  Seriously it is crazy but I do think it helped when I was feeling really low.

The thought of losing your hair is also daunting, but you will be happy to know it comes back before you know it and mine initially came back curly and all mousey, but it is now back to what it was before.,

My children were two and four when I was going through chemo and we had just started a new business venture 3 months prior so it was a very busy, strange time but I came out the other side and life is really wonderful now.  I had some reconstruction surgery 3 weeks ago.  So now I have hair and boobs again.  it is a bit of a journey with lots of bumps, turns in the road, but when you get to the summit, the view is great and the small stuff that used to seem important is no longer important.  You will get through this, great that you have each other and your familiies for support.

Glad you found us, but sorry you had to :(

Tanya  xx

• Loretta d
    edited March 2015
    Options

I like the idea of pac man eating the c Tanya. I used to love playing that game!. As my chemo begins on St Patricks day maybe they could be leprechaun pac man LOL.

I can't wait to get to that summit & see that view. . .new boobs sound good too!

Loretta xx

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helena and Loretta

Finished my chemo in Dec 2010. I can't sat it was the most pleasant experience but the staff and the atmosphere in the Oncology unit was amazing and certainly made it all very doable. I think the hair thing is the worst  bit, but my husband said at least you know the chemo is working!! If you have long hair have it cut shorter it just makes the final loss not so messy!

Maybe they'll colour your chemo green for St. Pats!!

However you travel Go well

Sarah x

• Sarah 51
    Sarah 51 Member Posts: 303
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Helena and Loretta

Finished my chemo in Dec 2010. I can't sat it was the most pleasant experience but the staff and the atmosphere in the Oncology unit was amazing and certainly made it all very doable. I think the hair thing is the worst  bit, but my husband said at least you know the chemo is working!! If you have long hair have it cut shorter it just makes the final loss not so messy!

Maybe they'll colour your chemo green for St. Pats!!

However you travel Go well

Sarah x

• Loretta d
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sarah, I have been really impressed with the staff & volunteers at the centre where i will be having my treatment & it too has a good atmospere.

Funny I was thinking of asking them for 'green' chemo LOL.

Thanks for your well wishes.

Loretta xx

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Best wishes for tomorrow - wear your green.  Will be thinking of you.  I am on my last two radiation sessions and will start chemo mid April.   I look forward to your blogs to help me with my chemo.  When I know what potion I will be having (23rd appt with medical oncologist) I will be much happier.  At least I will be more informed.  Good luck XLeonie