Connecting with others -- Privacy settings

Options
Di_BCNA
Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
edited May 2011 in Day to day

Hi all,

Again, a big welcome to all our new members. There are now 720+ of us, so here's the first of our tips on how to connect with others in the network.

Privacy settings

The network is setup so that you can control how much or how little of your information other members see. When you signup in the network, the default setting for each field on your Profile page is set to  'hidden' (see the little icon to the right of each field -- it will look like a red circle with a bar through it when set to hidden).

If you want others to see the information you enter into these fields (especially your 'About me' and 'My story' fields), you need to change that privacy setting by clicking on the icon and changing it to either 'contacts only' or 'public' depending on your preference.

There's a good explanation at the top of the 'edit profile' page as to what each setting means, but in summary:

• Public = content is visible to everyone
  • hidden = visible to you only, and hidden from everyone else
  • contacts only = visible to you and your contacts, hidden from everyone else

The search function respects privacy settings and will not show up people who have their field settings as 'hidden' or 'contacts only'. So, for example, if I want to show up in searches for 'breast cancer experience' then I set the privacy setting on that field to 'public'.

The screen grab below shows the location of the icon you click on to change your settings.

We'll post these tips once a week or so, so keep an eye on the blog. If you have any questions, ask away, either here or in the Getting started group.

Di

Comments

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi cathie,

If you're looking for a face-to-face group that meets after work hours, we can check if there's one in your area and put you in touch. The easiest way to do that at the moment would be to email our Groups Coordinater, Janelle Woods on jwoods @ bcna.org.au.
  • kartay_69
    kartay_69 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Try as I might I can't seem to find where to make my address details to private.  I see other users' addresses aren't displayed on the left hand side - can somebody assist? Thanks Karla

• kartay_69
    edited March 2015
    Options

Try as I might I can't seem to find where to make my address details to private.  I see other users' addresses aren't displayed on the left hand side - can somebody assist? Thanks Karla

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Karla,

You can access your address through the Publications tab within your profile.

Go to edit > publications.

Please note your address and contact details are set to hidden as a default so one you can see them.

The address details are where your copy of the Beacon is sent so only remove if you no longer wish to receive BCNA publications.

Good luck.

Daina

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Karla -- the other thing you should know is that *you* can see your address in the side panel when you're logged in (even if you have it set to private).  However, that's just for you -- no one else can see it.   If you want to double-check, log out and browse to your own profile page again, you'll see that your address is not visible.  

Let me or Daina know if that doesn't make sense or you're still having trouble. :)

Di

• kartay_69
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Di that makes perfect sense - these blog sites are all new to me!  Appreciate your reply,

Cheers

Karla

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

No problem -- there's lots of people here learning about blogging for the first time, so it's good everyone can learn together. :)

If you haven't already found it yet, I'd suggest you take a look at the 'Help' page.  It has a simple user guide there that you can read, and also some useful links.

Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck -- if you're finding something tricky you can bet the answer will help someone else, too. :)