Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Maxine

Options
124»

Comments

• Maggiemaw
    Maggiemaw Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mary

My heart goes out to you - your story sounds very similar to mine and like you I feel that I too must be nearing the end of a long line of chemo treatments.  It is now 21 years since my original diagnosis treated with mastectomy, node clearance (7/18 involved) then chemo, radio, Tamoxifen until 10 years later a secondary diagnosis with a tumour in my spine.  Surgery, followed by 10 radiotherapy treatments.  Six years later small tumours were seen in my liver but I needed a total hysterectomy because of suspicious-looking ovaries (all clear).  Chemo wasn't started until June 2010 - 9 months after the initial diagnosis of lesions in my liver, it took me a long time to recover from the hysterectomy.  Since June 2010, apart from one 6 month break I have been constantly on chemo of one sort or another.

Presently I've had 4x3wkly cycles of CMF (Cyclophosmamide, Methotrexate, 5FU).  Since the 4th cycle I've had quite a lot of discomfort in my liver which is worrying.  I'm seeing my onc next Tuesday and I'm guessing he'll order scans.  I've kept this info to myself so it's good to unload here.  My Onc has always said there are more treatments out there.  He has recently attended the World Conference of Oncologists in America and has indicated that he has more up his sleeve.  No doubt all will be revealed soon!!!!

Mary, my Adv Breast Cancer Support Group which has kept me going and which the Govt will cease funding at the end of 2015 - why???  call ourselves "Dragonfly Sisters".  Do you know the story of the "Dragonfly"?  A wonderful metaphor for women in our situation and which has also been adopted in some measure by BCNA.

The sharing of each other's experiences with our disease and knowing we are not alone and the empathy we gain from each other who are the only ones who truly know what we go through are a wonderful aid to the acceptance of living with this disease. 

I will now step down from my soapbox but send much love and hugs to you Mary.

Maggie xoxoxoxo

• Maggiemaw
    Maggiemaw Member Posts: 39
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mary

My heart goes out to you - your story sounds very similar to mine and like you I feel that I too must be nearing the end of a long line of chemo treatments.  It is now 21 years since my original diagnosis treated with mastectomy, node clearance (7/18 involved) then chemo, radio, Tamoxifen until 10 years later a secondary diagnosis with a tumour in my spine.  Surgery, followed by 10 radiotherapy treatments.  Six years later small tumours were seen in my liver but I needed a total hysterectomy because of suspicious-looking ovaries (all clear).  Chemo wasn't started until June 2010 - 9 months after the initial diagnosis of lesions in my liver, it took me a long time to recover from the hysterectomy.  Since June 2010, apart from one 6 month break I have been constantly on chemo of one sort or another.

Presently I've had 4x3wkly cycles of CMF (Cyclophosmamide, Methotrexate, 5FU).  Since the 4th cycle I've had quite a lot of discomfort in my liver which is worrying.  I'm seeing my onc next Tuesday and I'm guessing he'll order scans.  I've kept this info to myself so it's good to unload here.  My Onc has always said there are more treatments out there.  He has recently attended the World Conference of Oncologists in America and has indicated that he has more up his sleeve.  No doubt all will be revealed soon!!!!

Mary, my Adv Breast Cancer Support Group which has kept me going and which the Govt will cease funding at the end of 2015 - why???  call ourselves "Dragonfly Sisters".  Do you know the story of the "Dragonfly"?  A wonderful metaphor for women in our situation and which has also been adopted in some measure by BCNA.

The sharing of each other's experiences with our disease and knowing we are not alone and the empathy we gain from each other who are the only ones who truly know what we go through are a wonderful aid to the acceptance of living with this disease. 

I will now step down from my soapbox but send much love and hugs to you Mary.

Maggie xoxoxoxo

• Annette joycie
    Annette joycie Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you. Melbourne was lovely. Night out was good, but it takes me a few days to get over it. When we left Melbourne Saturday pm the sun was shining & by the time we were around half way back to ballarat the rain came down, it was very dark & gloomy. We thought it was going to snow. So cold. Bring on WA. Still waiting to hear from Wayne's onc, but quietly getting organised for trip with all fingers crossed. I read your last story & I want you to know I'm thinking of you & hoping that onc has things up his sleeve that will help you. Take care. Sending you warm hugs & lots of love. Annette xx