anxiety medication

Options
rob45
rob45 Member Posts: 7
edited June 2014 in Health and wellbeing

I had my 3rd TC June 11th. Apart from the usual range of side effects (I think I've had all, but not really badly).

I feel I have coped well, been upbeat for those around me, and managed on my own for the most part. Hubby works, butcher, leaves home early. Now the yucky part! 2nd day after chemo I fell apart mentally.

Had to get him home from work, frightened to be on my own, shaking, fearful, full blown anxiety attack. Couldn't sleep, wouldn't let him go back to work. Decided there was no way I would have the 4th and final chemo round.

I have seen my gp, and I am taking pills for long, and short term anxiety.I feel that the prescribed steroids, taken with the anti nausea meds certainly contributed to this.

I feel dumb and weak, popping my pills. I want to finish 4th, but I am worried! GP has suggested counselling. What a twit I am, not as brave as I thought,  Rob

Comments

• rob45
    rob45 Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you girls.  Just knowing you are there, understanding, is comforting. I am usually the one taking over, the 'control freak' as my sons unkindly called me, lol!!  This thing is just so out of my control, but I keep telling myself HOW you handle it IS in your control. I have always been a fairly solitary person, happy in my home environment, painting, reading, walking and voluntary work a couple of days a week, but I have found this isolating, a new experience for me. My old darling has taken a few weeks off work to stay with me through the next chemo round. I guess with the meds and his shoulder to lean on, and the caring help  of you sisters, I will make it. Grateful thanks, luv you all, Rob

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

the kindest thing I did for myslef through my treatment was see a psychologist, she was awesome. At first I went once a week, then we moved to fortnightly and finally we were done.

She said that when I first came I was a broken woman and the person that left was a strong and happy woman, so for me it was well worth it.

I could talk with her about the things I daren't say at home to my family, my fear my wanting to stop treatment etc.

It is not a sign of weakness to need help its a sign of strength to recognise it.

Sending you hugs

Donna

• susieFA
    susieFA Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Rob

I am still seeing my counsellor 2 years down the track.  I cannot tell you how valuable the power of talking about it is - it can get you through the next treatment then that's  over.  The reaction you had is not uncommon - it's a dreadful thing and then there's all the drugs - don't be hard on yourself for not being the "in charge" person you usually are.  People who like control find it the hardest to let go, yet it sounds like you are already doing a bit of that so, good on you - well done.  You'll get through this next one with your husband by your side.  xxxx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had an anxiety episode after the nurse in the chemo unit had attempted to cannulate my vein twice.I was nearly crawling up the wall,my heart jumping out of my chest so they gave me a chill pill.What I hated about the breast cancer journey was that I couldn't predict how I'd react.Sometimes I'd be so brave that I'd surprise myself and other times I'd turn into a blubbering mess over a minor thing.So I think it's quite normal with what happened to you Rob-you are not alone in the anxiety department! You need lots of love and support with a little counselling and drugs on the side to get you through.Big hug,Tonya xx

• Lana
    Lana Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way but after my second round of chemo. It is definitely the combination of all of the drugs. I saw the psychologist at the hospital and honestly it was the best thing I ever did. I am normally quite introverted but boy did it feel good to let someone really know how I was feeling and coping. He also put me on to meditation/ relaxation techniques. This worked wonders for me. Don't feel you need to do it on your own. There are lots of professionals willing to help .
    Good luck with your next round!
  • Lana
    Lana Member Posts: 91
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way but after my second round of chemo. It is definitely the combination of all of the drugs. I saw the psychologist at the hospital and honestly it was the best thing I ever did. I am normally quite introverted but boy did it feel good to let someone really know how I was feeling and coping. He also put me on to meditation/ relaxation techniques. This worked wonders for me. Don't feel you need to do it on your own. There are lots of professionals willing to help .
    Good luck with your next round!