Weight gain

Options
Nads07
Nads07 Member Posts: 23
edited June 2014 in Health and wellbeing
I have been on tamoxifen for one year now and I have noticed that my weight is slowly creeping up. I am now almost 3kg heavier than my ideal weight of 58kg. I eat healthy and i am reasonably active working full time with children. Has anyone else experienced this? And will it continue while being on this medication?. I really don't want to put on anymore weight as I am quite short. I would love to hear from anyone with advice or suggestions, please. .

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been on Tamoxifen since January this year.My weight is exactly as it was when I was first diagnosed,but I have to work hard to keep it steady.I walk about 2 and a half kilometres each day( fast walking) and some days further.I watch my diet carefully,as I just don't want to put on weight.But as for whether Tamoxifen can cause weight gain,I wouldn't like to say.Our bodies are all so different too,so what causes weight gain in you may not cause it in me.I am interested to read other responses to your post.Cheers xox
    Robyn

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been on tamoxifen for 7 months and have lost the 3kg I put on during chemo plus 3 more. I eat a lot less than before though (not much in between meals) and exercise every day (walk at least 3km, 6km some days, swim, Pilates). I think if I did not exercise so much and ate what I used to I would have found it hard to loose the weight. I am at my ideal weight now. Deanne xxx
  • jandy23
    jandy23 Member Posts: 234
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have been on tamoxifen  for about 17 months and I have not gained any weight.  There's no magic to it. Avoiding weight gain on tamoxifen involves the same old boring edicts - watch what you eat and exercise regularly.  I aim to run or do a gym class at least 4 times a week.

Having said that I do find I have to constanly monitor my weight and work hard to keep it stable - maybe a little harder than before BC, but not much. I know some experts advise against weighing yourself everyday but I find a daily weigh-in helps keep me on track. If I don't weigh myself for a few days I seem to relax my eating habits and my weight inevitably creeps up. 

The other thing that has helped me avoid weight gain is an app called My Fitness Pal. I use it to record everything I eat and the exercise I do to help ensure I don't accidentally consume way too many calories. I think it is incredibly easy to kid yourself that you are eating a healthy, moderate diet when in fact you are taking in way more calories than you need. This app has been a big reality check for me.

I think the other thing to keep in mind is that many people - both women and men - gain weight in middle age for a variety of reaons, not just us BC survivors on tamoxifen. Personally I doubt that the weight gain many woman complain about is due to the medication. It's just that our metabolisms are slowing with age, hormone levels are dropping, we are perhaps not as active as we used to be, we live in fast food culture etc etc etc. Unfortunately there's no super easy way to stay slim. Just gotta stay focussed and disciplined.  Good luck, Janet.

• Nads07
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you ladies, what i got from your replies is that maybe I should be trying a little harder with diet and exercise. I know I need to be more active now after bc but after working 9 hours, exercise is the last thing on my mind. But there's no easy solution.
    thanks for the advice :-)
    Cheers
  • Nads07
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you ladies, what i got from your replies is that maybe I should be trying a little harder with diet and exercise. I know I need to be more active now after bc but after working 9 hours, exercise is the last thing on my mind. But there's no easy solution.
    thanks for the advice :-)
    Cheers
  • Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Nads,

You might find the Exercise and staying fit page on our website a good place to start if you feel you need to look at your diet and exercise. There is some useful information and programs/resources available - http://www.bcna.org.au/living-breast-cancer/physical-wellbeing/exercise-staying-fit

PS. This is my favorite exercise quote ;-) Good luck

• Kez.Za
    Kez.Za Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am about to start Tamoxifin and my dread is weight gain.. but it sound as though with a very healthy diet (which is one I plan to stick to as a cancer prevention) and regular, very regular exercise... it should not be a problem.

Geez I love BCNA for the support from those in similiar situations. thanks

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just thought I would respond to your comment about wine. If it helps I found it very easy to not drink once I realized 2 things. Firstly, even moderate amounts of alcohol are a risk factor for getting breast cancer (especially estrogen positive cancers like mine).

Secondly alcohol is a carcinogen. It did not make sense to endure all the treatment and then continue putting a known carcinogen into the body I was trying to keep healthy!

The thought of wine now has the ability to make me nauseous! Unfortunately I still love chocolate but restrict myself to the dark, high cocoa types. Good luck with your surgery. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My daughter is converting me to cacao and alternatives to sugar. I will tell her about this and see if we can get some! :) Deanne x
  • Kez.Za
    Kez.Za Member Posts: 35
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have to agree on cutting out sugar and alcohol.    I have changed my diet - it was vegetarian and healthy anyway until I pulled it a part.   Cutting sugar is the easy bit.. it is the alcohol I  find hard.  My naturopath said that I should not drink alcholol for the rest of my life!  If i look at it like Deanne does then it makes it easier.   There is research to link alcohol and cancers... and this is a time when I certainly could do with a few drinks!

I am enjoying this discussion...

• HelenJill
    HelenJill Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2015
    Options

Since we have been talking about foodie things I thought I would share my new experiment - 'turmeric icecream' which I made last night. Ingredients were coconut cream, maple syrup, mesquite powder, maca powder, turmeric powder and vanilla extract.

Not too bad at all, could become a new addiction.

Helen.

• HelenJill
    edited March 2015
    Options

Since we have been talking about foodie things I thought I would share my new experiment - 'turmeric icecream' which I made last night. Ingredients were coconut cream, maple syrup, mesquite powder, maca powder, turmeric powder and vanilla extract.

Not too bad at all, could become a new addiction.

Helen.

• Deanne
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That sounds delicious. Have you got a recipe for it?

Have you tried the Avocado Chocolate Mousse?
    1 ripe avocado (straight from fridge)
    1 frozen banana (peeled and cut into chunks before freezing)
    3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
    2 tablespoons raw honey
    Just blend and serve straight away. Lovely with a few strawberries or raspberries.

Maybe we should start a recipe sharing group?
    :) Deanne xxx
  • HelenJill
    edited March 2015
    Options

What a great idea Deanne. Let's do just that. I have made 2 different Avocado Chocolate Mousse recipes but haven't been really happy with them. I will try yours. I have a great recipe for a Chocolate Avocado Pie.

Tumeric Icecream Recipe

You need

Method

1. Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until slightly airated and well combined (dry ingredients should no longer be visable with an even colour of gold throughout)
    2. Pour the velvet cream into glass jars with the lids on or a freezer proof container covered with cling film
    3. Place in the freezer for one hour before removing to stir and return to the freezer for a further hour. Continue doing this until you achieve the desired texture (2-3 hours works best)

Helen

• HelenJill
    edited March 2015
    Options

Here is the Avocado Chocolate Pie Recipe It is delicious!

Avocado Chocolate Pie

Ingredients:-

3 avocados

3 dessertspoons of raw cacao

45 grams of honey

1/3 cup coconut oil

½ cup medjool dates

½ cup almonds

50 grams of dessicated coconut

Method

Base :- In a food processor add almonds and pitted dates and blend into a dough. Roll flat and place in a desert tray or suitable cake tin.

Topping:- Add coconut, cacao, avocados, coconut oil and honey to a food processor and mix until all ingredients are well blended.

Pour this mixture onto the base and refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.