Get connected day!

Options
Di_BCNA
Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
edited February 2011 in Day to day

Hi all!

It's time for another Get Connected Day post. You don't have to be a new member to participate (although we have a few, welcome to you all! :).

The purpose of the Get Connected post is to provide a place where you can introduce yourself if you'd like to widen your connections.

What to do...

Comment to this post (use the comment form at the bottom of the page) with a short note about yourself and who you're looking to connect to.  Easy!

If you see someone with experience similar to yours, who you'd like to connect to, then just click their username (in their post) and you will end up on their profile page.  Then all you need to do is look on the left side of the page under their picture and you'll see an "add contact" link and follow the prompts.

Why connect to others?

One of the good things about connecting to others, is that all of their blog posts will show up on your homepage in a reading list.  So if you haven't visited the site in a few days, you'll still see what everyone is up to!

Important note

Remember to check your own privacy settings on your "edit" page. There's no need to reveal anything personal or private, but if you want others to connect to you, you should make some of your My Profile settings "public" so others can find out a bit about you (eg. 'my story', 'about' me' and 'breast cancer experience'). 

If you're not sure what to do, you might like to read this post on how to change your privacy settings

Have fun!

Di

(if you want to go back and browse the old 'get connected posts' to find out a bit more about our members, just click on the 'get connected' tag).

Comments

• Rennay
    Rennay Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

How do I correct the incorrect address? The computer has generated an assumption based on the postcode. I don't live at Burnt Bridge I need to change it to Heathmont! Please advise

thank you

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Rennay,  the postcode is in the publications section with your address (it's in that section because it's your way of keeping your details with us up-to-date if you change address).   To find it, just click the 'edit profile' link under your userpicture (on the left side of your profile page), then click on the 'publications' tab.  Scroll down and you'll find the postcode field.  We do have a bug at the moment for postcodes that have multiple suburbs attached to them (the system chooses the one that comes first alphabetically), so if the right postcode is showing, but the wrong suburb, just let me know and I can fix it manually.  Hope that makes sense! :)

• Rennay
    Rennay Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015
    Options

Woo Hoo ...I did it!

Thank you so much!

Rennay

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Good for you!  :)   It's on our list of things to make a bit easier to find --  it's a bit hidden where it is now. 

Just one thing -- until we fix the bug, there's a possibility it will revert to the other suburb again.  If that happens, you can either change it back yourself, or let me know and we can change it in the database.

Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck with anything else.

Di

• Julie A
    Julie A Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, I joined BCNA online today and need some help on how to use this online forum, as I have never done anything like this before. I was diagnosed last Wednesday and have surgery this coming Wednesday. Although a little overwhelming, I'm taking one day at a time. However, I'm needing some practical help regarding what to take to hospital, especially bras. What does one do...

I don't see the surgeon until very late Monday afternoon and go into hospital on Tuesday, therefore any preparation (shopping) needs to be done this weekend. Any assistance on types of bras anc clothing after surgery  would be really appreciated and what to do to get started.

I was also having problems connecting as I got an "unauthorised message" when trying to post a comment. Sorry for the very "practical" post for my first post. However, just trying to stay focused on what I need to do.

Can I also say, thank you for this site. I know I'm going to find so much wonderful information on here. Just need time to abosorb it all.

Thanks

Julie

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Julie, and welcome. I'm glad you found your way here. :)

To answer your questions, the best places to find 'starter' information about the site is on the Help page and on the Q & A page.  Other than that, feel free to just make a new post in your own blog with a question and someone will answer (if you get the 'access denied' message, it might mean you're not logged in).

Also, all new posts show up on the 'All posts' page, so go have a look there if you want to see what everyone else is posting.

Last thing, if there's a subject you want to know about, just type the key words like 'mastectomy' into the search bar (you'll see it just above the main navigation, where it says 'start your search here').  The results page will show you all the website pages and posts that match your request (see the label on the right side of the page).

Hope that helps, feel free to send a personal message any time if you get stuck. :)

Di